Login

russian armor

COH1 4ES strategy for Soviets?

16 Feb 2019, 20:42 PM

When I used to play COH1 I was impressed with this strategy:

https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=374888

Do you think we can reproduce this with Guards instead of rangers? rangers where 3cp back then, guards are 2CP.

we got snipers, engi with flamers and even munition observation posts.

We dont need to build medic building since its an upgrade, so thats a little better than before!

problem is we dont have a good 50 fuel tank destroyer, T34/76 is crap for 90 and SU85 is 130 fuel.

Im trying to make this work and so far it worked once out of 4 times.

Anybody else wanna explore this strategy to see if its viable?
17 Feb 2019, 04:27 AM

Just thinking about it it seems much more efficient to just build 3 cons instead of replacing them with 3 extra engies. Cons are actualy a bit cheaper in the long run since they are less expensive to reinforce but also more efficient with better vet and better utility for the most part. You also don't have to build a separate building for cons like you did for rifles in coh1 so there's not a lot of economic incentive to skip them except for a slightly lower initial cost and buildtime that is more than made up by combat efficiency on cons' part.
17 Feb 2019, 19:23 PM

Maybe 3 cons with PTRS into snipers? to have the ranger/sniper combo?
17 Feb 2019, 20:14 PM

Maybe 3 cons with PTRS into snipers? to have the ranger/sniper combo?

You'd still get run over by infantry then. Try 3 cons (without PTRS) and sniper and like 2 guards. Closest you'll get to ranger/sniper there. You'd better have field control though, or else you'll have a hard time with his tanks if you can't field a t34 or SU85 beforehand.

Honestly though its a lot safer and more ergonomic to go 3 cons, maxim, guards and then maybe get an atg or mortar if you need it IMO.
17 Feb 2019, 20:46 PM

This has already been done to some extent by Aimstrong in the past. If I recall, he would do 3 engineers and then get a sniper.

In CoH you needed to get 4 engineers so you could keep map control for mines. You couldn't build riflemen because it was a different tech, so if you wanted map control and sniper support, you HAD to build engineers.

Soviets have so many more options, though. The sniper comes from T1 tech, and you have conscripts/penals/engineers available to support it.

With that said, if you do want more map control early game, 3 engineers before a sniper are good. 4 is too many I think, since engineers are more expensive in CoH2 than CoH1, getting 4 will leave you underpowered against marauding grenadiers/volksgrenadiers.

With 3 engineers though it lets you capture territory to get a fast flamethrower squad. After that, you can support the sniper with conscripts OR penals, your choice. In terms of support anti-tank, your options are also much more plentiful. In CoH1 you needed either rangers or airborne. With soviets, you can do PTRS penals, PTRS conscripts, AT gun (back tech), light AT gun (from doc), or even guards. It's up to you.

With all that said, I do feel that sniper starts in CoH2 are in generally much weaker than in CoH1, due to the snipers reduced rate of fire, lack of free cloaking, and the inclusion of true sight. As DevM once said elsewhere, snipers are best used as a mid-game support unit if you need to whittle away at an entrenched axis player.
17 Feb 2019, 21:21 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

marinez is beast

nosliw is beast
Phy
17 Feb 2019, 21:50 PM

Pretty much what nosliw said. I dont see the point of pure 4es as it was in coh1.
OFFTOPIC:
-Can't tell how much I enjoyed watching marinez replays using 4es strat.
-Can't tell how much I enjoyed using 4es strat on my own.

Nostalgia. :)
19 Feb 2019, 03:27 AM

Is marinez still active in COH2? what happened to him?
19 Feb 2019, 04:17 AM

Is marinez still active in COH2? what happened to him?

He stopped playing CoH franchise after CoH2's release. He switched over to Dota.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 43
United Kingdom 18
Germany 32

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak