Login

russian armor

Playing against the Sturmtiger

1 Feb 2019, 00:51 AM

Does anyone have any advice on playing against the Sturmtiger ? I lost a game in which I played US Airborne. Wherever the Sturmtiger showed up, I had to retreat or I 100% would lose whatever unit it was pointed at.

I tried not blobbing of course, which doesn't matter when the squad you're losing is an upgunned paratrooper unit. That's an expensive loss. Tried closing the distance so it couldn't fire on me, but you can't do that quickly enough. I even had 2 Jacksons supporting me when I ran at it with 3 zook squads. Sturmtiger lost a sliver of health, retreated behind a Pak wall, and still wiped 1 squad, and reduced the 2 other squads to half strength or worse.

I finally took it out with a P47 rocket strike, but by then, I had bled too much and lost anyway.

Am I just playing really badly, or is this unit grossly overpowered ?
1 Feb 2019, 01:06 AM

You can't win against Sturmtiger. All resistance is futile. ;) ^^
1 Feb 2019, 01:09 AM

Yeah, no kidding...
Vaz
1 Feb 2019, 02:34 AM

You honestly need cunning to defeat it, especially when it is well managed and supported. The very best weapon you have, is an m20, specifically it's heavy vehicle mine. People using Sturmtiger typically get caught up in greed and eventually use it more and more in risky situations, pushing it further in without support. If you can get it to hit a heavy mine, then it's stuck there and you only need a single jackson to pound the hell out of it. If you are infantry you can also use a priest to hit it from afar, bonus points for getting the rescue pioneers too.

If you can't lure it to a mine, then you really need to be able to surround and thin out their forces so you can come in from behind or something. It's got too much health and armor to win in most direct conflicts from the front.
1 Feb 2019, 02:43 AM

Fair enough. Everyone (developers included) knows how insane that is, right ? It's actually easier to take out a KT.
1 Feb 2019, 03:17 AM

Honestly can't say I've had this issue before, but then I rarely see anyone go ST in the first place. Anytime an ST is in a game I'm in... 75% of the time I'm using it. If you're looking for legit help, perhaps upload a replay for some specific advice?
1 Feb 2019, 03:40 AM

To be fair, we did get out-played...our opponents had time to set up the MG/Pak walls to protect the sturmtiger. Still, I can't believe that this game has a vehicle that can fire a tactical nuke horizontally.
1 Feb 2019, 04:02 AM

Scouting is the key. Place a squad of Pathfinder at front and “Hold Fire”.
1 Feb 2019, 07:03 AM

Pray to God and then Alt + F4 in order to avoid the tilt

On topic, well... most people using the Sturmtiger support it with everything and it's difficult to destroy it. You said you played Airborne, so you can use mines to criple its engine and then use the P47 Rocket Strafe ability to destroy it.
1 Feb 2019, 07:53 AM

Mines win games. (c)

Even light mines from rear eschelon will give you enough time to get in another couple of shots. M20 and heavvy AT-mines, as suggested, also will do wonders to Sturmtiger.

But, if your opponent is really putting some effort into it (streamer trying to get it to vet5 or werhaboo or just good player); then most definetly he won't give you enough time to actually plant these mines.

Then, as mentionet above...
Recon win games(c)
USF have some useful recon tools - selfspotting TDs, cheap major recon sweep, fast moving LVs and all other useful stuff.
However, with Airborne doc, you have another great set - pathfinders and their beacon. Slam them in some hole from previous Sturmtiger shot and enjoy. Beacon, however is even more useful in these situations - you can plant it instead and look at minimap, without any risk for your squad.

And do not forget to spam HVAP on your TD's and AT guns, because you have to pay for USF to actually make them work.
1 Feb 2019, 09:24 AM

Does anyone have any advice on playing against the Sturmtiger ? I lost a game in which I played US Airborne. Wherever the Sturmtiger showed up, I had to retreat or I 100% would lose whatever unit it was pointed at.

I tried not blobbing of course, which doesn't matter when the squad you're losing is an upgunned paratrooper unit. That's an expensive loss. Tried closing the distance so it couldn't fire on me, but you can't do that quickly enough. I even had 2 Jacksons supporting me when I ran at it with 3 zook squads. Sturmtiger lost a sliver of health, retreated behind a Pak wall, and still wiped 1 squad, and reduced the 2 other squads to half strength or worse.

I finally took it out with a P47 rocket strike, but by then, I had bled too much and lost anyway.

Am I just playing really badly, or is this unit grossly overpowered ?

Speaking seriously, little things that gonna help you fight vs ST:
1. If you played Airborn your vetted pathfinder gives way way bigger sight or range of Sturmtiger therefore it's easy to dodge.
2. Increase your volume as well. This unit is horribly loud and can be heard from a miles.
3. While you trying to dodge the shot of sturtiger spread your units on left and right side of Sturmtiger to make him rotate. It's hard to predict when that beast hit your infantry if you move your squad closer/further to him.
1 Feb 2019, 16:36 PM

Nice...thanks for all the advice !
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight