Login

russian armor

1v1 UKF

30 Jan 2019, 15:22 PM

Just lost to an OKW comeback after controlling the map and decimating his squads in the early game.
The moment he started blobbing his squads along with cutting me off with fallschirms there was nothing I could do. How is UKF supposed to deal with OKW? I really don't know if I should give up playing brits in 1v1s because it seems like OKW has appropriate units to counter anything I throw at them compared to UKF which lacks indirect fire, seems to have weaker tanks and weaker infantry. Gonna say that I have around 100 hours in the game only, and I really hope that I just suck really badly so there's room for improvement but as it stands I fail to win against okw unless the enemy is extremely bad.

30 Jan 2019, 18:26 PM

UKF as a faction struggles earlier on in the game but is a force to be reckoned with later on.

Tanks: Your armour is the best in the game if used correctly. I'll normally get an AEC for countering light vehicles first. Then a Cromwell but if I'm winning ill get a centaur to close the game. Then likely a firefly which has massive range. Situation dependent I'll go for a Churchill. The Churchill has the biggest health of any tank in the game so is great for sinking shots while the firefly removes OKW panther/tigers.

Infantry: Infantry Sections(IS) are arguably the best mainline infantry in the late game. They need to have 5 man squads, grenades and bren guns. They also have cover bonuses so need to have cover to be effective (ideally green cover). An IS with brens in green cover will reliably beat fallscrimjager in green cover. The sniper is powerful too but is hard to use.

Because your infantry requires cover build trenches/sandbags to defend your cut-offs. If in the right positions these will repel infantry pushes effectively.

If the fallscrimjager are behind your lines, cutting you off send your tanks and place your infantry on their retreat path. Grenade the retreating squad They will lose 440 manpower.

If you held the map, OKW would not have had fuel. Because of this getting a centaur would have won you the game. The centaur has insane damage against infantry and can kill rackettens with some luck. It cannot damage tanks though which is why it's not good in an even game.

Mines win games, Use them.

Overall UKF is not an easy faction to play but it is effective for more experienced players. In contrast, OKW is effective with simple blobs so is good for noobs. Because of this, you need to expect to lose brit games initially while you work the game out. Good Luck and Have fun!
30 Jan 2019, 19:18 PM

UKF as a faction struggles earlier on in the game but is a force to be reckoned with later on.

Tanks: Your armour is the best in the game if used correctly. I'll normally get an AEC for countering light vehicles first. Then a Cromwell but if I'm winning ill get a centaur to close the game. Then likely a firefly which has massive range. Situation dependent I'll go for a Churchill. The Churchill has the biggest health of any tank in the game so is great for sinking shots while the firefly removes OKW panther/tigers.

Infantry: Infantry Sections(IS) are arguably the best mainline infantry in the late game. They need to have 5 man squads, grenades and bren guns. They also have cover bonuses so need to have cover to be effective (ideally green cover). An IS with brens in green cover will reliably beat fallscrimjager in green cover. The sniper is powerful too but is hard to use.

Because your infantry requires cover build trenches/sandbags to defend your cut-offs. If in the right positions these will repel infantry pushes effectively.

If the fallscrimjager are behind your lines, cutting you off send your tanks and place your infantry on their retreat path. Grenade the retreating squad They will lose 440 manpower.

If you held the map, OKW would not have had fuel. Because of this getting a centaur would have won you the game. The centaur has insane damage against infantry and can kill rackettens with some luck. It cannot damage tanks though which is why it's not good in an even game.

Mines win games, Use them.

Overall UKF is not an easy faction to play but it is effective for more experienced players. In contrast, OKW is effective with simple blobs so is good for noobs. Because of this, you need to expect to lose brit games initially while you work the game out. Good Luck and Have fun!

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should use the centaur more.
As for the cut-off trenches, should they be constantly garrisoned or should I garrison them only when the cut-off happens?
One more question, what would be the best way to deal with indirect fire and MGs early on?
I use mobile assault so dealing with mortars isn't as painful, but I'm lost on how to deal with mg garrisons, I often use UC with WASP but it dies within two faust shots so I'm not sure if it's worth it. I've been thinking about using tactical support regiment commander for mortars, not sure if it'll work out though.
31 Jan 2019, 03:30 AM

For the trenches, they should not be constantly garrisoned, just when they are needed. If you are worried about them taking your trenches place mines on the entrances and build them so their MGs will not be able to shoot at where you will attack from if you lose them. The IS have 2 upgrades, medics, which is needed for at least 2 squads and the artillery smoke. The smoke also gives a line of sight bonus which stops preset MGs from hitting you before you see them. It also allows you to call artillery on strong mg positions eg buildings. Personally, I will get a Vickers on my UC so when it gets snared the suppression will stop any follow-up. It will also kill a Kubel like this.
31 Jan 2019, 06:03 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

m8 either you need to l2p or...

...Which is exactly why he's here asking for advice on how to counter OKW. Don't get why you're being so condescending on a section of the forum that's literally intended to help players get better at the game.

And to the original poster: As many people stated, infantry sections are probably the strongest mainline infantry unit in the game, which is why you really want to leverage their strength. This means getting the early 5 man upgrade and potentially upgunning them with brens. 5 man sections with brens should beat fallschirmjager in equal cover engagements at long range (and, really, you dont even need to straight up beat fallschirmjager 1 for 1 given the difference in costs).

If he throws a lot of infantry at you, you can usually just throw a lot of infantry right back. Invest a comparable number of squads, and you'll probably win.

Outside of a bunch of infantry sections, you usually want one engineer squad to snare vehicles, a couple of AT guns (the specific number depending on how many vehicles he has), and, importantly a sniper. You do have to use snipers more cautiously against falls because of their camo, but as long as youre not taking any unnecessary risks, the sniper should end up doing a lot of work. I can't emphasize this enough, OKW just doesn't have any direct counters to snipers.

As for tanks, I honestly find that they're largely unnecessary. Currently, I usually opt for the crocodile or valentines, but have also went for comets when I've had the room to. My main point here is that UKF doesn't really need to use tanks of their own to threaten the enemy, they mainly need them to neutralize the enemy's tanks. To that end, it's usually fireflies or comets for me (again, when im not going for the doctrinal options), and never really centaurs or cromwells.
31 Jan 2019, 06:53 AM

As for tanks, I honestly find that they're largely unnecessary. Currently, I usually opt for the crocodile or valentines

+1
Honestly the crocodile is the perfect counter to OKW so long as they don't have a panther (it can pen and take deflections from all other OKW late game vehicles except jadg, in which case just spam infantry if he gets a jadg). If they go for KT just get double at guns or a firefly (with upgraded tulips to stun if possible) + crocodile.
31 Jan 2019, 09:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2019, 06:53 AMVonIvan

If they go for KT just get double at guns or a firefly (with upgraded tulips to stun if possible) + crocodile.

.... and if they go Panther, just bait it into a tree stump :snfPeter:
31 Jan 2019, 10:43 AM

Generally my build order against OKW looks like this:
IS - IS - UC - IS - T2 - RE - AT Gun - AEC (if Panzer II) - Bolster (another RE is optional) - T3 - Centaur/Cromwell - Firefly - AVRE/Croc/Anvil Tactics into Churchill
Two Royal Engineers is recommended later in the game and also if you choose one of the commanders with Flamethrowers. Weapon Racks and Nades are nice when you have some munitions float.
31 Jan 2019, 13:20 PM

If you wan't more specific advice on how to improve, try uploading a replay.

Other than that try browsing trough some of the guides on this forum and try watching some casts or twitch players to see how they handle brits :)
31 Jan 2019, 19:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, while I do build sandbags and such whenever I can and utilize them, I have no idea how to deal with OKW's cover denial fire nades, the Vickers doesn't seem fast at suppressing so would it be wise to mostly go for IS squads and disregard the Vickers entirely? And I usually don't use fireflies so I guess I'll also take that into consideration. Another issue I also have is pushing with tanks due to OKW blobs having panzershreck squads mixed in which pretty much push my tanks back. I have also noticed that early engagements aren't really a problem because the OKW player doesn't have enough muni for fire nades I suppose? But once he does get them he easily denies cover and then comes close and beats my squads. When should I usually go for bren/PIAT upgrade racks? And how early should I go for bolster?

Oh and how does one upload replays?
31 Jan 2019, 21:28 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Invised a post for excess flame and just generally being unhelpful
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %