Login

russian armor

[1v1] OST v USF - Jacksons won at range

22 Jan 2019, 03:49 AM

Hello there!
I've been away from CoH2 since Mechanized Assault was meta. It has been a while.
Well, being a USF/Wehr player, I took my axis faction onto 1v1 and lost the match. It was good, I had tons of fun, but a few things got ahead of me.

I think I did a really poor job on the 251, but the USF halftrack just melted it and presented itself as an absolute threat to my army wherever it was. I panic-clicked the Pumas commander to counter it where I think I should have had a deep breath and take it slowly. What could I have done different there?

As the matches goes, I lost 2 grens due to being somewhere else. It was lack of attention and I need to get better at multitasking I think. The sniper was being a too heavy priority for me. While at it, could I have done anything else other than shooting the bad guys charging at me with the sniper? Could I have changed anything in the outcome with a better micro'ing?

Then real armor arrived. I got my P4 in response to his Sherman. It took a while when eventually Jacksons showed up. From this point to the end of the game, I couldn't get in range to finish off any of his Jacksons. His infantry was heavy on bazookas and there was AT guns deep in his territory preventing me from diving for the kill. I think I panicked here too and I should've stopped massing P4s and got a Panther instead, maybe even a Brummbar. Is that the right way of dealing with those? The jacksons have amazing range and I can't really think of something else. I probably shouldn't have locked the pumas commander and saved for the Tiger I think.

Any help is very welcome. I'm glad to be back, what an amazing game.
(I'm playing as Banana because yes, having fun on steam on other games hahah)

22 Jan 2019, 10:16 AM

Good to have you back buddy. I might have time to do a review this week depending on how crazy it gets at work.

Other than that you might benefit from reading up on this guide I made, which should give some pretty good and general insights that are still relevant :)

https://www.coh2.org/guides/70864/from-recruit-to-veteran
23 Jan 2019, 03:17 AM

Good to have you back buddy. I might have time to do a review this week depending on how crazy it gets at work.

Other than that you might benefit from reading up on this guide I made, which should give some pretty good and general insights that are still relevant :)

https://www.coh2.org/guides/70864/from-recruit-to-veteran

Thanks! I appreciate the effort and the help.
I did a review myself on this replay and definitely I had an atrocious, horrible, vehicle and armor micro. If I didn't bleed VPs so hard I think I could've made a comeback.
26 Jan 2019, 19:36 PM

So here goes the review (sorry for the delay).

- 3.00 i wouldn't recommend that you place hold fire on the sniper unless you expect a countersnipe (which you can't from USF). Rather you want to move it around using attack move and check regularly for enemy units on the tactical map (remember to rebind it like I say in my guide).
- 14 You are floating a very high amount of manpower at this point. you only had 2 grens with is not enough at all, so you should have gotten a third or possibly a pgren squad to get a proper unit composition.
- A second mg would have done wonders for blob control against your opponent. I generally recommend double mg with wehr, because it's just so good and versatile. you can even go for some fuel or muni caches if you have that amound to spare which means more gear or faster tanks.
- 19.00 at this point you have run into the same mg 3 times without your opponent had to move it. Remember his positioning and try to flank it or use smoke from a mortar to avoid getting supressed.
- 21.00 at this point you had a wounded gren squad standing idly around for five minutes in the north of the map because you forgot about it. If it had been discoveret it would most likely have been killed without challenge. By using the tactical map, the risk of this is much lower.
- 25.00 at this point you decide to recrew your lost mortar with grens instead of pios. This will cost you an additional 5 manpower pr man when you reinforce, with is a very large amount! if a decrewed weapon is safe within your zone of control, prioritize to get it with the cheapest squad.
- 25.00 you still only have one pioneer squad at this stage in the game. You always want at least two and mostly one with a flamer and one with a sweeper (though the sweeper can possibly be skipped, if you play against USF without an m20 car and doctrinal mines like in this case).
- 32 there are dropped lmgs on the ground that your grens could have easily taken but didn't. These weapons are almost always a good idea to take (the possible exception would be PTRS rifles on units with STGs).
-

pros.
- good choice of doctrines and bulletins.
-your sniper game was significantly above average. If you hadn't used hold fire but attack move instad it could have been truly deadly!
- you had quite a good use of your pak guns.
- Good use of rifle grenades, which gave you some good wipes.
- apart from the manpower, your ressource management was good and not too much float.

cons.
- your macro is a bit off in terms of getting the right unit composition. Ideally you should probably have 5-6 infantry units, but the first half of the game you didn't have close to that even though you had the manpower.
- Remember to use your manpower, unless you're saving up for something special!
- you kept falling into the same supression traps and were generally too defensive in capping the map

Hope this was somewhat helpful and feel free to ask questions :)
28 Jan 2019, 12:15 PM

Thanks for your help! I'll take mental notes about it and change my bad habits.

I think I got too worked up and forgot about the grens and even the second pio. It's true. Too bad I lost the sniper in a single moment of carelessness.

But I rarely see anyone using pgrens. Are they worth it?

And given that the USF has the Stuart, Flak Halftrack and early bazookas by teching, do people skip Wehr light vehicles frequently (vs USF of course)? I think I can field one LV earlier than the USF and cause some MP bleed, but if they get dedicated to hunt it down, I'll be more repairing than shooting with it.

And how do I cap the map more aggressively? One gren alone is enough of a force for it? I'm used to the 5 men infantry, so I really don't know how to measure where and when I can push the grens "limits".

The northern VP had a MG there for a while, would moving the mortar and 1~2 grens (given that I should've extra grens) be a wise option?

But really, thanks for your help! I hadn't had the time to play again, busy weeks, but I'll try today.
28 Jan 2019, 12:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2019, 12:15 PMSigilli

Thanks for your help! I'll take mental notes about it and change my bad habits.

I think I got too worked up and forgot about the grens and even the second pio. It's true. Too bad I lost the sniper in a single moment of carelessness.

But I rarely see anyone using pgrens. Are they worth it?

And given that the USF has the Stuart, Flak Halftrack and early bazookas by teching, do people skip Wehr light vehicles frequently (vs USF of course)? I think I can field one LV earlier than the USF and cause some MP bleed, but if they get dedicated to hunt it down, I'll be more repairing than shooting with it.

And how do I cap the map more aggressively? One gren alone is enough of a force for it? I'm used to the 5 men infantry, so I really don't know how to measure where and when I can push the grens "limits".

The northern VP had a MG there for a while, would moving the mortar and 1~2 grens (given that I should've extra grens) be a wise option?

But really, thanks for your help! I hadn't had the time to play again, busy weeks, but I'll try today.

np man. Glad I could help

To your questions:

- Are pgrens worth it?
Pgrens are in my opinion the goldens standard of elite units. They have great stats, great vet bonus and great versatility through their upgrade. But they are too expensive to spam and should mainly be used to flank, whipe retreating squads or in support with other soldiers to soak up the damage. They are not necessary to get every match, but a great utility if you need them.

- Do people skip light vehicles vs USF?
Not necessarily, but you can if you feel like it. the 222 comes out sooner than the USF light and can cause good harrasment to infantry and m20s. The 251 with flamers is an absolute beast vs riflemen, but must be microed well in order to not be killed. If you struggle with light vehicles you could consider getting a doctrine with the panzer "tactician smoke" ability which can save your butt in many situations.

- How do I cap the map more aggressively?
The short answer is to be where your opponent is not, but of course that's easier said than done. It's basically about experience and game sense and estimate if a certain point is likely to be unprotected. Recon and smoke cover can be used when in doubt.

- I'm used to the 5 men infantry
I had a similar problem when transitioning from soviets and the solution for me was going for osttruppen instead of grens. Osttruppen are not great for agression, but once they can build sandbags and trenches they are great for locking down areas and trade cost efficiently. in fact osttruppen supported by mg's might be the most cost efficient soldiers in the game. If you still prefer the more reliable and flexible grens, then perhaps pick the new commander that allows you to upgrade them and pioneers to 5 man squads. This also significantly reduce the risk of being wiped. And remember to rebind your tactical map. This is probably the thing that improved my game the most!

- The northern VP had a MG there for a while, would moving the mortar and 1~2 grens (given that I should've extra grens) be a wise option?
yeah that could work. Or if you can get your mortar in a safe posistion within range, then you could move it there and barrage the mg until it was forced to retreat and then capture the point. It depends on the situation in general ;)
28 Jan 2019, 15:20 PM

np man. Glad I could help
= )

Thanks for your time! It was really helpful.
I'll try to adapt my OST game. I think with better armor micro I could've won that one, even with that many mistakes, but I'll get better at both. Thanks again =)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★