Login

russian armor

StuG IIIE

27 Sep 2013, 05:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 04:36 AMDerBaer

Big difference in cost, man. And also, since there were comparisons to a KV-8 comes out fairly late in the game. There should be lots of AT on the field by then. Don't ya think?

true that KV1, T34/85 and KV8 is more expansive and come later at 4CP,but Stug 3E at 3CP the russian T3 could hits the field already and KV1, KV8, T34/85 4CP tanks is not far behind either, i just want some thing effective like T70 or SU76 not like a tank can't hit much before it dead, and stand 0 chance against russian T3 tanks, also the skill it have right now is waste of MU, also KV1 (forget price), T34/85(360MP 130FU each) and KV-8 (360MP 135MU) come pretty late game but they got their part to shine and able to do their role in combat and pretty good for their price, the stug 3E atm it does not serve its role well, not effective enough compare to T70 SU76 or Stug 3G for its price. Don't ya think?
27 Sep 2013, 05:13 AM

Ah, sorry man. Did not know they came out later...

But the T-70 only has a small window to operate, just like the FlHT. I think if the Stug E came out earlier it would be devastating for soviet early game. I think the Stug E is a hard unit to balance and integrate into the game. Guess they should have tested it some more!
27 Sep 2013, 05:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 05:13 AMDerBaer

But the T-70 only has a small window to operate, just like the FlHT. I think if the Stug E came out earlier it would be devastating for soviet early game. I think the Stug E is a hard unit to balance and integrate into the game. Guess they should have tested it some more!

it is cool. i just don't like this unit miss infantry like mad, and even a T70 or SU76 can destroy a Stug 3E and Stug 3E don't have chance fighting them with out support (if u look up a page or two, you know what i mean) i think put in a Stug 3E is just bad choice, if they put in a P3 for the same price that can counter T70 and SU76 yet can't fight T34 and only have some AI ability it could be way better than what we have right now.
27 Sep 2013, 06:38 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Considering all the anti-infantry available in this doctrine already, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Stug being lackluster against infantry. You've already got Assault Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers as call-in units. The Stug seems designed to be just medium AT to be used in conjunction with shreck-PGs (in their fancy new halftrack, of course) until you can get a Tiger.
27 Sep 2013, 06:40 AM

do you even play as german? if german want T4, german have to tech pass T3 not like russian can just skip it, if russian bring out any SU76, T70 or T34, stug 3E have no stopping power to it, and problem with this unit right now is it come slower than T3 and useless if russian bring out any T3 tank, wait for the tiger? by the time there is enough CP for tiger game lose already. so your suggestion not to tech to T3 is not even possible with stug 3E's stats atm because it can't even hold grounds even with big number,

ps. i saw you ladder, so you are very pro COH2 players so you just use T2 units and stug 3E to hold out until tiger? well i guess it could be too pro for me to do it.

But you can choose to not build the building so you can tech to T4 faster. Which is usually a good thing to do if you know your soviet opponent is going for his T4.

I'm not saying the unit doesn't need tweaking, but it is obviously meant to be a stopgap unit if you skip T3.
27 Sep 2013, 06:52 AM

The Stug seems designed to be just medium AT to be used in conjunction with shreck-PGs (in their fancy new halftrack, of course) until you can get a Tiger.

This is simply not true. The Stug E does not function as any sort of AT whatsoever. Its lackluster penetration combined with only 80 damage and no turret means that you're not going to be killing anything armored any time soon. It probably is less effective than an upgunned scout car at killing light vehicles. Generally in those situations you speak of, the panzergrenadiers probably have it handled by themselves.

For those players complaining about its effectiveness, I see why this tank would be regarded as redundant since the assault grenadiers and panzergrenadier halftrack call ins are more than enough anti-infantry for most games. However, the Stug is not vulnerable to sniper fire (or any small arms for that matter) and are effective at stopping shock troops since the shells obviously bypass 2.25 armor (for those situations where you want to rush a Panther, which are really effective against Su-85 spam).

I would not recommend its use versus players who pick guards, for obvious reasons.
27 Sep 2013, 08:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Sep 2013, 20:14 PMTrainzz
It's really strong atm, no idea what you are expecting from such a cheap unit in first place, but it comes relatively early in the game and offers pretty good anti-infantry capabilites. On top of that it is able to soak up some damage (especially from infantry anti-tank weapons). You obviously don't build it when your opponent goes for a more vehicle-orianted strategy.

To use it to max effectiveness you go for a infantry-heavy strategy and get that StuG when your opponent is still investing in anti-infantry units.

Have you played and used it? Or are you theory crafting? It comes at 3 CP, which in case you didnt know is usually about the same time as T3/T4 for Soviet. So it is pretty useless and has paper thin armour.
27 Sep 2013, 14:34 PM

after looking at the stats again i think i know what the developers were going for with this little dude. it looks like its a unit that is designed to work heavily off of RNG. it has the potential to be really effective but it has to deal with random numbers ALONG with battlefield variables to reach that maximum effectiveness. sure 1 stug e is going to have alot going against it, but if you have alot of them they'll have more chances to be real destructive, in theory.

the thing is all this creates is an unreliable unit. why should i ever make something that has a chance to be effective when i can bust out an ostwind that always does its job (RNG wise of course). from it's small size (i think its like 40% chance to be hit at long range) to it's long reload and relativley subpar accuracy, it's a unit that plays heavily on chance.

when massed the rng becomes less of an issue, however these things become way too vulnerable - arty, more micro stress from controlling lots of fragile little tanks, long ranged at units (su85) lurking in the fog of war, more positioning management etc.
all of this can be avoided by building an easier to use, more reliable unit, the ostwind. the stug e just isn't a good alternative.
27 Sep 2013, 15:09 PM

But you can choose to not build the building so you can tech to T4 faster. Which is usually a good thing to do if you know your soviet opponent is going for his T4.

I'm not saying the unit doesn't need tweaking, but it is obviously meant to be a stopgap unit if you skip T3.

and what about assault grenadiers and the call in halftack? those are good units in their own right and they're stopgap units too. why can't that be true for the stug e?
27 Sep 2013, 16:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 05:13 AMDerBaer

would it really be devastating though? if they were to lower deployment time to 2cp, the soviets could already have at guns, guards and/or at nades on the field - all of which counter this thing easily.
27 Sep 2013, 16:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 15:09 PMTri86

and what about assault grenadiers and the call in halftack? those are good units in their own right and they're stopgap units too. why can't that be true for the stug e?

+1

i still wish they could replace Stug 3E with P3 for a better AT ability tank
27 Sep 2013, 18:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 15:09 PMTri86

Well both the assgrens and call in halftrack are more expensive then what you would get in those buildings, while the new stug weighs as a cheaper option that is obviously sopposed to be used in numbers. Judging by its role i would say it needs to have similar at effectiveness to 1 SU-76 and be able to take out a t34 in pairs of two.
27 Sep 2013, 18:29 PM

I really think its stats are fine, it just comes out too late. So reducing it to 2 CP would be a good solution.
I don't think that would cause any problems either because it certainly isn't a unit that would drive the complete Soviet army off the field. It doesn't deal problematic amounts of damage even when no counter is around and at 2 CPs getting counters against it certainly isn't a problem. Guards or any of the AT guns will do just fine.
27 Sep 2013, 18:39 PM

Have you played and used it? Or are you theory crafting? It comes at 3 CP, which in case you didnt know is usually about the same time as T3/T4 for Soviet. So it is pretty useless and has paper thin armour.

obviously I played with it. 6 games after the patch, every single one I got 2 or 3 of them, combined with and without building Tier 3. Won all of them, StuG always had a ton of kills. I even built it when my opponent went for T34s after I got a P4 or normal StuG.

So, I don't know if you played with it or if you are able to use it correctly. For me, this unit is a pretty damn perfect unit for quite a lot of siuations. I am obviously talking about 1v1s, no idea if it is any viable in team games, especially not 3v3s or 4v4s.
27 Sep 2013, 19:13 PM

Make it 2cp and incorporate it with the pgrens. So the call in would be pgrens and a stug3e. Take away the useless Ht and that will be a useful and more importantly balanced call in..
27 Sep 2013, 19:55 PM

Make it 2cp and incorporate it with the pgrens. So the call in would be pgrens and a stug3e. Take away the useless Ht and that will be a useful and more importantly balanced call in..

Why are you getting pgrens involved in this. They would put it's cost through the roof.
27 Sep 2013, 20:53 PM

With this doctrine isn't the 2cp call in pgrens with ht?? If so some posters mentioned movng stugIIIe to 2cp.. That's why made that comment. Please correct me if I am wrong.
27 Sep 2013, 21:28 PM

halftrack call-in is 1cp
28 Sep 2013, 04:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 18:39 PMTrainzz

obviously I played with it. 6 games after the patch, every single one I got 2 or 3 of them, combined with and without building Tier 3. Won all of them, StuG always had a ton of kills. I even built it when my opponent went for T34s after I got a P4 or normal StuG.

So, I don't know if you played with it or if you are able to use it correctly. For me, this unit is a pretty damn perfect unit for quite a lot of siuations. I am obviously talking about 1v1s, no idea if it is any viable in team games, especially not 3v3s or 4v4s.

do you have any replays on hand?
28 Sep 2013, 16:24 PM

Here are some hard stats on the the stug E i pulled from the files, since the COH2 stats site has not been updated last time I checked

gun
Damage: 80
Penetration: 45
AOE distance: 1.25
range: 50
reload: 4 seconds

health
HP: 320
Armor: 120

It does have slightly larger AOE distance than the stug (which has 0.75), but the unit does seem to be lacking
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★