28%
56%
11%
6%
Total votes: 18
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
24 Dec 2018, 20:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2018, 20:05 PMLago

Then give it to Pathfinders too, and we can all have some nice sniper-free games.

this statement gave me an idea... what if snipers were reworked to JLI like recon teams with a muni model snipe ability and quick artillery to destroy heavy mg play?... thoughts ideas improvements anything?
24 Dec 2018, 20:25 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

why
24 Dec 2018, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2018, 20:25 PMTobis
why

Makes mg spamming easier.
24 Dec 2018, 20:28 PM

because ive seen complaints on the forums about snipers being too good or too cheesy... granted i never got a statistical survey on the quantity and variations of opinion... but this thread seems like a good place to start

ive given a pro rework option... a no rework option... a cool idea ive thought of and a do this for coh 3 option...

personally i dont mind snipers though... just thought this might be an interesting idea

also im an avid soviet and ostheer sniper user myself... i just thought of an interesting idea and wanted to ask people`s opinion

Makes mg spamming easier.

how though? ive suggested an artillery barrage ability which further neutralizes mg spams...

mind you im an avid sniper user myself... i kinda dont want snipers to get nerfed but a rework into a more interesting model would be fun aswell...
24 Dec 2018, 20:33 PM

Previously discussed was something like having snipers crit at a threshold that increases with vet. So at vet 0 it's like 80% then by full vet they can knock off models outright. Idk though.
24 Dec 2018, 20:35 PM

^hmm that seems like another interesting idea aswell... do you think the community should try it out on a balance preview mod just for experimental purposes for a future game (cough coh3) or if well recieved coh2?
24 Dec 2018, 20:43 PM

or just turn pathfinders into a sniper
24 Dec 2018, 20:46 PM

How expensive should the arty ability be, and how fast come down ? Enough time to react and move mg ?
24 Dec 2018, 20:47 PM

I think it's too much of a dramatic change for coh 2. As a simple mod it would require changes to JLI and pathfinders as well to find a balance between model count and base crit chance and quite frankly I think it's too much work for a 5 year old game. Perhaps in the next coh? I liked the brit marksman in coh:of but as I've already revealed I prefer munitions based skill ceilings over simply a micro tax.
24 Dec 2018, 20:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2018, 20:46 PMLoxley
How expensive should the arty ability be, and how fast come down ? Enough time to react and move mg ?

up to your discretion really... not sure if its a good idea let alone what values should be appropriate... regardless it is nice to throw out some ideas that may lead to even better ideas for future releases...
24 Dec 2018, 20:52 PM

Previously discussed was something like having snipers crit at a threshold that increases with vet. So at vet 0 it's like 80% then by full vet they can knock off models outright. Idk though.

No. Giving snipers reduced los while moving is a better idea. Also faction need to be given early ultra-light vehicles to counter them.
24 Dec 2018, 20:52 PM

or just turn pathfinders into a sniper

well the question is... "is this model of recon team a good idea maybe for future releases or a future balance patch"... not a "turn snipers into JLI/pathfinders" rant...

its an equivalent to finding a new idea you just want to ask if its a good one or not... not rebalance the JLI/pathfinders into cookiecutter snipers
24 Dec 2018, 22:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2018, 20:25 PMTobis
why

Cause snipers in their current form are an outdated mechanic that ignores things like cover, veterancy and RNG which made CoH the legend it is

Removing them might have caused different issues, but if the recon teams would get the arty ability as OP proposed it could be good enough to dislodge defensive plays
24 Dec 2018, 22:38 PM

USF sniper Kreygasm.

No. Giving snipers reduced los while moving is a better idea. Also faction need to be given early ultra-light vehicles to counter them.

+1 to this idea
Problem about current sniper is we no need to always cloaking behind cover, the A-move is all you need because sniper have superior LoS.

Forcing players to use another unit to become the spotter for the sniper might be good direction.
24 Dec 2018, 22:44 PM

CoH2 is unsalvageable. But snipers should be removed from a CoH3.

Snipers are annoying. Their instant model kills do not fit into the fundamental cover system of the game. They are hard to counter for certain faction rosters. With CoH2's abundancy of snares that always cause engine damage, light vehicle counters are useless. They are hard to balance. Their presence leads to boring sniper wars.

IMO in a CoH3 they should be reworked to recon teams. 2-4 men with a sniper that does regular damage (but high acc) and can snipe models for a munitions ability. They should have a big force multiplier type of power that gives a high skill ceiling for a combined arms approach. Such utility can be given by having several abilities such as: having very high view range, some kind of mark target ability, a muni model snipe to swing crucial engagements, maybe some kind of light artillery or smoke barrage call-in, a suppression ability, etc.
25 Dec 2018, 01:55 AM

CoH2 is unsalvageable. But snipers should be removed from a CoH3.

Snipers are annoying. Their instant model kills do not fit into the fundamental cover system of the game. They are hard to counter for certain faction rosters. With CoH2's abundancy of snares that always cause engine damage, light vehicle counters are useless. They are hard to balance. Their presence leads to boring sniper wars.

IMO in a CoH3 they should be reworked to recon teams. 2-4 men with a sniper that does regular damage (but high acc) and can snipe models for a munitions ability. They should have a big force multiplier type of power that gives a high skill ceiling for a combined arms approach. Such utility can be given by having several abilities such as: having very high view range, some kind of mark target ability, a muni model snipe to swing crucial engagements, maybe some kind of light artillery or smoke barrage call-in, a suppression ability, etc.

I agree with you in how detrimental they are to the core values of CoH, and that they should be reworked or reintroduced in coh3 as recon teams with a muni costing snipe.

Snipers literally made me dump brits because ostheer always goes for them. And they are always there piping my doods, and worst of all, they dont have dialogues when under fire. They just die silently

I appreciate myself a good fella. I don't use snipers because how infuriating they are. I want my oponent to have a good time after a day of work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★