Login

russian armor

Wehr cutting off USF with ass grens and support weapons

9 Dec 2018, 16:56 PM

Hello,

I know this replay will be incompatible in a few days, but perhaps someone can still have a quick look at it.

I play USF around rank 600/700. Sometimes on Arnhem checkpoint, an Ostheer player chooses the Assault grenadiers doctrine and locks down one or two of my cutoff, and I don't get through. This time it happened to me on Crossing in the Woods. What is the best way in reacting to this?

This specific time, both my cutoffs were locked down, so going somewhere else was nog an option. I tried getting a mortar and a mortar half track, which perhaps would have worked better if I targeted the command bunker sooner instead of the team weapons.

Hope someone can have a look at it while its still valid!
9 Dec 2018, 17:16 PM
Donator 11

nvm
10 Dec 2018, 01:09 AM

You did a pretty good job fighting this, and for some reason they neglected to devote even one squad to capping.

Only things I can suggest is don't fall into the retreat conga: you had a tendency to send squads out whilst the others were reinforcing, then they'd get suppressed and have to retreat. Get them all reinforced, spread out, then hit that position from all sides.

USF's grenade unlock will get cheaper next patch, which'll help with smoking and grenading those MGs.

As for Arnhem, just veto it. If you don't like campy MG spam garrison fests, veto it and never look back.
10 Dec 2018, 05:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2018, 01:09 AMLago

As for Arnhem, just veto it. If you don't like campy MG spam garrison fests, veto it and never look back.

+1

I haven't played arnhem in over a year lmao.
ddd
10 Dec 2018, 13:55 PM

This guy always does this strat. Just cut off his points and slowly barrage his mg/bunker while capping rest of the map then finish him off with aa ht.
10 Dec 2018, 16:05 PM

If you can tech, a Pack Howie will do violent things to this strat. That tech'll also give you AT guns to deal with the StuG-E.
10 Dec 2018, 16:17 PM

Thanks everyone! I got some very useful tips!
11 Dec 2018, 08:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2018, 13:55 PMddd
This guy always does this strat. Just cut off his points and slowly barrage his mg/bunker while capping rest of the map then finish him off with aa ht.

Yup.

I hate to talk trash of other players, but this particular guy is the very definition of cancer.

Just take a look at his player card. 17.500+ matches exclusively with wehrmacht!

If you look at recent matches many of them are also less than 5 minutes, because if you manage to wipe one of his early mgs or anything else that might mess up his plan, he will immediately quit the game and search for a new one. With the risk of using another word that is sorely misused, this almost seems like autism in the sheer repetitiveness he must go into this game with, I mean seriously how can he find any enjoyment in using the exact same strategy dozens of times with the same faction EVERY SINGLE DAY since the game was released?!

The annoying this is though, that even against better players he can sometimes catch them by surprise, and even if he dosen't his play style gives absolutely no enjoyment even if you win.

To make matters worse for you, his strategy is the hardest to counter when playing USF, due to the delayed and non-linear acess to team weapons. So your best bet is smoke screen from mortars combined with flanking or alternatively getting mechanised commander and harass him with the jeep. Bear in mind though that if you manage to break his initial lockdown, he will sometimes make a hail mary with two251 halftracks stuffed with 2 mg's, 1 assgren and 1 double zook pgren, and just place them in your base and kill everything. you need to prepare for this by either placing mines by your entrances (again difficult with the USF lack of standard non-doc mines) and possibly a stuart. Heck, it could even make sense to wire of one of your own entrances and build a fighting position in your own base and place a double zook eschelon in it.

So to sum up. This guy is cancer and makes me wish you could veto players (but if it's any consolation I beat him just before he was matched with you).
11 Dec 2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the elaborate reply :) I mostly just feel motivated to beat this strategy, since it does feel abusive and like it should have a clear weak spot/counter, which i'm trying to find ;) Thing is though, that not many people use this strategy so I don't encounter it often enough to try it out. But fair enough, if the game allows one to use this strategy, who am I to judge.

Coincidentally, I actually played another game against him yesterday on Faymonville and he ofcourse did the exact same thing. I went for Captain tech with 1 mortar, but it actually went worse. I did manage to cap quite some territories, but was not able to connect them thus not helping me. My riflemen got bled out severely while trying to get my cutoffs and some vision, which delayed my Captain tech and Pak Howie. Also, it's difficult to get vision for some time without having my infantry blasted away by the double mortars.

For now, I think going double mortar, M20 and perhaps followed by AA HT/Stuart (in the new patch) and AT gun (from Airborne commander) could work , as long as the manpower bleed isn't too bad. Hopefully I get to try that out some time.
11 Dec 2018, 11:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2018, 10:50 AMWoco

Thanks for the elaborate reply :) I mostly just feel motivated to beat this strategy, since it does feel abusive and like it should have a clear weak spot/counter, which i'm trying to find ;) Thing is though, that not many people use this strategy so I don't encounter it often enough to try it out. But fair enough, if the game allows one to use this strategy, who am I to judge.

Coincidentally, I actually played another game against him yesterday on Faymonville and he ofcourse did the exact same thing. I went for Captain tech with 1 mortar, but it actually went worse. I did manage to cap quite some territories, but was not able to connect them thus not helping me. My riflemen got bled out severely while trying to get my cutoffs and some vision, which delayed my Captain tech and Pak Howie. Also, it's difficult to get vision for some time without having my infantry blasted away by the double mortars.

For now, I think going double mortar, M20 and perhaps followed by AA HT/Stuart (in the new patch) and AT gun (from Airborne commander) could work , as long as the manpower bleed isn't too bad. Hopefully I get to try that out some time.

A big problem facing his strategy is the mg spam which overlaps and supresses your men. Soviets and UKF have better conditions for countering this, because they have access to very early game vehicles, but the USF is not so lucky.

As such you might try to experiment with mechanized and get the WC51 with riflemen. It's mostly good for the early game, but with this guy theres is nothing other than early game because he is a one trick pony.

If you manage to wipe and capture one of his early mgs, he is pretty much guaranteed to quick immediately.

Anyway best of luck whatever you decide and I hope you will get your revenge!

P.S. I know I still have lots of your replays awaiting review, and will hopefully have time to look at them soon.
11 Dec 2018, 13:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2018, 16:56 PMWoco
Hello,

I know this replay will be incompatible in a few days, but perhaps someone can still have a quick look at it.

I play USF around rank 600/700. Sometimes on Arnhem checkpoint, an Ostheer player chooses the Assault grenadiers doctrine and locks down one or two of my cutoff, and I don't get through. This time it happened to me on Crossing in the Woods. What is the best way in reacting to this?

This specific time, both my cutoffs were locked down, so going somewhere else was nog an option. I tried getting a mortar and a mortar half track, which perhaps would have worked better if I targeted the command bunker sooner instead of the team weapons.

Hope someone can have a look at it while its still valid!

Smoke + Smoke + Smoke...you had 2 mortar vehicles who could have prevented all those MG's from doing nothing with just smoke barrages, with smoke you could have capped your cutoff to get faster resources and sometimes it's better to stop bleeding MP and just wait for some deciding unit.

Easiest way smoke + grenades.
11 Dec 2018, 16:19 PM

Without looking at the replay one thing to keep in mind is that M20 is really good at dealing with Ass Grens and Support Weapons. Remember the bazooka crew can take care of bunkers if you completely push him off. I know in live version M20 can feel out of reach if you get locked down super early but if you can scrap together the fuel then you can use it to break the hold. (Easier on some maps than others).

PS I totally got PTSD flashback from the one time he got me with the 251 Hail Mary. Such cheese. -.-
12 Dec 2018, 08:52 AM

Without looking at the replay one thing to keep in mind is that M20 is really good at dealing with Ass Grens and Support Weapons. Remember the bazooka crew can take care of bunkers if you completely push him off. I know in live version M20 can feel out of reach if you get locked down super early but if you can scrap together the fuel then you can use it to break the hold. (Easier on some maps than others).

PS I totally got PTSD flashback from the one time he got me with the 251 Hail Mary. Such cheese. -.-

Yeah he tried doing that to me yesterday as well. Lucikly I had just pushed out a t-70 in the last second, but otherwise I would have been boned.

The problem is that part of his "strategy" seems to be to change user name so often that he can still take people by surprise. Otherwise he is so 100% predictable that you can pretty much set your clock to it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★