Login

russian armor

The Forward Logistics Glider

Zoe
21 Oct 2018, 11:48 AM

Hello!

I was thinking about buying the Vanguard Operations doctrine, because from the looks of it, it seems useable. I did some tests then in the editor to look at the abilities of the doctrine and this lead me to a question: is the Forward Logistics Glider any good? Yes, it gives me the ability to train commandos, medics and the airlanding officer and it can serve as an FRP, but the drawbacks seem to be rather severe. It costs 540 manpower and 9 pop, it is freakishly huge, thus offering an easy target for mortars, it takes damage when landing in bad terrain and it can't be repaired at all.
So, any opinions on it? Is my assesment that the drawbacks are too severe correct or am I overlooking something? After all, I'm far from a good player and there is a high chance that my assesment is lacking.
21 Oct 2018, 15:45 PM

Hello, yes, your points are very valid :)
At higher level it presents a big, easy target for opponents.

I actually really like it however, it allows for setting up a quick FRP, spamming commandos, the territory cap ability is actually quite useful as UKF doesn't have a lot of capping units and relies on it's light vehicles in the early game.

The air support and crocodile were already nerfed into uselessness however, so i wouldn't recommend spending actual money on it (in-game credits maybe) because they may or may not revert those nerfs later ;)
21 Oct 2018, 17:20 PM

The actual glider itself doesn’t take pop. The aurlanding officer accounts for the 9 pop, which is warranted given that he has the commando gammon bombs and the very good officer charge ability as well as a recon run. I tend to put brens on him though, as he doesn’t have camo and is only a 4 man squad and as such can’t be used like commandos despite having the same stens. Commandos and the officer get better brens than tommies, but normal commandos should just be used with the stens and camouflage.

The glider is decent but it bugs me that you can’t repair it. I don’t usually use FRPs except in super large 4v4 maps, but it’s a bargain for the cost. You get the officer (worth around 300 manpower) and a retreat and reinforce point, which if you bought through the forward assembly and FRP upgrade, would be like 400 manpower or something like that (like I said, I don’t really use them so I don’t remember the price on it) for just 540 manpower.

Edit: the overall commander is pretty good too. All its abilities are useful and having commandos is almost a must with brits at higher levels, and even though the croc got nerfed it’s still pretty good. Being able to cap territory really fast with comets and Churchills can be a bit ridiculous and can save the game sometimes, and the typhoons aren’t terrible either.
Zoe
21 Oct 2018, 19:25 PM

First of all, thanks for the answers!

Secondly, regarding the pop thing: I totally forgot about the airlanding officer. Thanks for reminding me. He's the one taking the pop space, of course!
Finally, if I understand it correctly, the commander is actually decent. Not super great, but far from being worthless. Since the crocodile is getting buffed with the next patch, I suppose I'll wait for that and then get him.
Thanks for the opinions again!
22 Oct 2018, 04:02 AM

I wouldn't spend real money though. Wait till you accrue enough supply points to get the commander and save yourself the 2 bucks or whatever. You'll get to the point where you have enough supply to buy commanders you want when you want them most of the time.
22 Oct 2018, 05:48 AM

I wouldn't buy any USF/OKW/BRIT commanders, the drop rates for these factions are really good since theres relatively less bulletins and skins, I got pretty much all of them through drops just playing.
24 Oct 2018, 09:46 AM

Vanguard is good but flawed imo. It's a great commander but you have to be careful when picking it. Make sure you have other suitable commanders and only pick to counter your enemy or vanguard can really screw you over.

I would say the biggest drawback of Vanguard is the lack of offmap artillery (typhoon strafe isn't enough imo and gets shot down easily). Vanguard is great for brawling for points and annihilating infantry but the lack of offmap strikes neuter you a bit much in my opinion and the only real advantage of the HQ glider itself over the normal glider from commando reg is you can retreat to it. The medics are just Tommies that can't shoot anything but cost 4 less pop.

The lack of offmaps leaves you very vulnerable to LefHs and turtle players but is not a problem if you play with friends that can cover you from that. USF infantry company and any soviet commander with Il2 bombing run are great for this.

For commandos I prefer commando regiment. The glider from commando reg can be dropped in enemy territory and you can replenish squads in enemy territory too. Vanguard You can build commandos for slightly less (40mp) but I prefer being able to either provide my teammates with reinforcement points or dump commandos in their rear. On top of that, phosphorous/HE combo mortars are lethal and Air supremacy is great for deleting turtle players.

Crocodile is still awesome tho btw and is getting better next patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★