Login

russian armor

Advice for Soviets against double sturmpios opening

20 Oct 2018, 21:35 PM

To be fair, this person is probably a stronger player, but I feel like I could have dealt with his opening better. He drove off my initial squads, capped my cutoff, and then kept the pressure up. What should I have done differently? Any advice is appreciated.
22 Oct 2018, 10:50 AM

I can take a look for you later today if you want. I'm usually Rank 200 - 300 so it won't be top player feedback, but hopefully it'll still be helpful.
22 Oct 2018, 12:43 PM

Have you tried penals + fast flamer clown car? It's always solid vs OKW
24 Oct 2018, 02:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Oct 2018, 10:50 AMLago
I can take a look for you later today if you want. I'm usually Rank 200 - 300 so it won't be top player feedback, but hopefully it'll still be helpful.

That's still much, much better than anyone I've played with in automatch! Bring it on :)
24 Oct 2018, 02:10 AM

Have you tried penals + fast flamer clown car? It's always solid vs OKW

Maybe I should have done that. Is a 4-conscript opening not viable against OKW? I was hoping to try that opening in this game but it seems to have been hard countered :/
24 Oct 2018, 02:42 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Maybe I should have done that. Is a 4-conscript opening not viable against OKW? I was hoping to try that opening in this game but it seems to have been hard countered :/

Try to avoid conscripts vs OKW. Volks out trade cons at every stage of the game so you put yourself down very quickly. T1 into penals and clown car like aera said, or if the map allows it and you're feeling strong you can get a sniper. Maxim spam is also decent vs OKW as well, but I wouldn't put it over penal into clown car.
24 Oct 2018, 10:19 AM

Okay, finished watching.

ACCURACY ON THE MOVE
You, for need of a better word, 'fidget' with your squads.

You constantly move them during engagements. They don't seem to be doing useful movement, they're just shifting around like it's something for you to do instead of watching them plink away.

The problem with this is every unit in the game is less accurate on the move. For some units, the penalty is as high as 50%.

Furthermore, if you move away from enemy units your squad will turn their backs and they'll do no damage at all. In a situation where you've got a stronger enemy force at point blank range to your squads, retreat, don't backpedal.

If you don't need to move a unit, don't. If they're in a good position, don't sacrifice damage by moving them.

COVER
Always use the best cover available in every engagement.

The yellow cover bonus is a 0.5 received accuracy, which means half the small arms shots at them will miss. The green cover bonus is 0.5 received accuracy and half damage, making your squad roughly four times more durable in green cover.

This is how a Conscript Squad beats a Sturmpioneer Squad: it sits in green cover as the Sturmpioneer squad approaches. The Sturmpioneer squad loses so many models on the approach that it's too weak to beat the almost unhurt Conscript squad once it's close enough.

Also remember that non-garrison cover stops working at point blank, so don't bother repositioning to cover in a melee.

You were fighting a lot of battles out in the open right next to decent cover. In one battle, you were next to a destroyed Luchs (green cover) and moved your squad into the red cover instead.

Got no good cover? Build it. Every faction has a unit that can build green cover (Conscripts, Volksgrenadiers, Infantry Sections, Rear Echelon Troops (tank trap), Pioneers). You can also use barbed wire to deny good cover to the enemy: wire off their side of it and only you can use that cover.

SHOCK UNITS
A shock unit is a vehicle that comes out before the enemy can properly deal with it. The Luchs and T-70 are excellent examples: they're bulletproof light vehicles that deal a lot of damage and hit the battlefield early in the game.

The thing about shock units is their value goes down as the game goes on and the enemy gets more powerful and more mobile AT out. If the window in which a T-70 would give you an advantage passes, skip the T-70. Go straight for the T-34 or KV-1. They're durable enough to survive on the late game battlefield and can penetrate medium tanks. A T-70 is a helpful thing to have if it survived from earlier, but it's not worth building at 22 minutes in.
28 Oct 2018, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the great advice, Lago. I didn't even realize I was moving my squads so much until you pointed out! Knowing the firing on the move penalty, I now understand why that was a bad thing to do. It's also surprising to me how effective a unit behind green cover is. I've never had the habit of building sandbags, which is a big advantage I've been missing. Good point about shock units too... makes perfect sense!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 41
Germany 2
Korea, Republic Of 0
Germany 41

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %