Login

russian armor

Should the M5 HT get some balance love?

13 Sep 2018, 09:39 AM

This unit has to be approached very carefully. It used to be the most overpowered unit in the game, being able to reinforce whilst having the quad upgrade and having insane suppression. Flame HT used to be this op too.

These units will never be balanced..

While that is most certainly true the reinforcement + upgade option was removed years ago which made the 251 is a choice between a cheap support vehicle and an effective glass cannon, while the M5 became a much less appealing choice. They both got the reinforcement ability removed after weapon upgrade which is more than resonable and actually made the play experience much more flexible by forcing players to make this choice. It was basically a textbook move on how to make an excellent balance patch.

The problem arose later, when they for random reason they decided in a later patch to remove moving suppression on the move for the M5 even at a time when hardly anyone was using it in the first place.

I'm not saying that they necessarily need to return this option, but as it is now the M5 is basically significantly worse and a lot more expensive than the 251 counterpart. And yes I know that you can never directly compare units in an assymetrical game, but the fact remains that one is popular and the other could pretty much be removed without anyone ever noticing.
13 Sep 2018, 09:39 AM

The unit comes too late in 1vs1 for what it delivers. At the moment you build your T3, what you need is a light tank, not a Half-track.

+ Using it with Penal/guards as a reinforcing platform is too expensive in term of Manpower to keep map presence. When you build your T3, you need a unit able to deal damage with little Manpower cost, so it is better to have a T70 to control your flank than a mass of Guards/Penal on the line.

13 Sep 2018, 09:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2018, 09:39 AMEsxile
The unit comes too late in 1vs1 for what it delivers. At the moment you build your T3, what you need is a light tank, not a Half-track.

+ Using it with Penal/guards as a reinforcing platform is too expensive in term of Manpower to keep map presence. When you build your T3, you need a unit able to deal damage with little Manpower cost, so it is better to have a T70 to control your flank than a mass of Guards/Penal on the line.

It also has the problem that without the upgrade it resembles an expensive version of the scout car, with a questionable reinforcement option. The secret must be in the quad for dedicated AI that surpass the t-70 and to do this you need better supression and/or some more health as well as a possible slight reduction in manpower cost.
14 Sep 2018, 15:18 PM

While that is most certainly true the reinforcement + upgade option was removed years ago which made the 251 is a choice between a cheap support vehicle and an effective glass cannon, while the M5 became a much less appealing choice. They both got the reinforcement ability removed after weapon upgrade which is more than resonable and actually made the play experience much more flexible by forcing players to make this choice. It was basically a textbook move on how to make an excellent balance patch.

The problem arose later, when they for random reason they decided in a later patch to remove moving suppression on the move for the M5 even at a time when hardly anyone was using it in the first place.

I'm not saying that they necessarily need to return this option, but as it is now the M5 is basically significantly worse and a lot more expensive than the 251 counterpart. And yes I know that you can never directly compare units in an assymetrical game, but the fact remains that one is popular and the other could pretty much be removed without anyone ever noticing.

Good points. I do however never want to see it with suppression on the move again. Too op for my likes.

It could do, perhaps, with a sort more profound anti air role. Like the Schwere hq has, where you put it to anti air, which makes it as good as its current superb anti air. When this mode is not activated, it can have improved anti infantry performance. Perhaps more damage?
14 Sep 2018, 16:51 PM

Good points. I do however never want to see it with suppression on the move again. Too op for my likes.

It could do, perhaps, with a sort more profound anti air role. Like the Schwere hq has, where you put it to anti air, which makes it as good as its current superb anti air. When this mode is not activated, it can have improved anti infantry performance. Perhaps more damage?

Well that would still make it extremely situational to a point where I can't imagine anyone would pick it. Perhaps a vet1 skill where it could "hunker down" for a timed period which would significantly increase damage and suppression, but the ability would be cancelled as soon as it moved?
15 Sep 2018, 09:45 AM

Well that would still make it extremely situational to a point where I can't imagine anyone would pick it. Perhaps a vet1 skill where it could "hunker down" for a timed period which would significantly increase damage and suppression, but the ability would be cancelled as soon as it moved?

That is a good idea. But that does remind me of the centaur's insta delete ability, which doesn't suit well to my liking. If it is not an outright delete button like the centaur ability, I would think it is a great idea!
15 Sep 2018, 10:38 AM

The unit is fine, maybe buff the suppression a bit so that it's worth the resource investment.
15 Sep 2018, 14:37 PM

That is a good idea. But that does remind me of the centaur's insta delete ability, which doesn't suit well to my liking. If it is not an outright delete button like the centaur ability, I would think it is a great idea!

If it buffs suppression a lot more than it buffs damage then that would probably keep that from becoming an issue. Accurate fire from the quad .50 is probably going to be inherently much less damaging than accurate fire from the centaur’s 20mms since the former has no splash.
15 Sep 2018, 15:02 PM

If it buffs suppression a lot more than it buffs damage then that would probably keep that from becoming an issue. Accurate fire from the quad .50 is probably going to be inherently much less damaging than accurate fire from the centaur’s 20mms since the former has no splash.

Yes I was also thinking that suppression should be the main buff, so the choice between t70 and m5 would somewhat (but not exactly) imitate the OKW choice between the luchs damage dealer and the strong Flak HT suppression.

Even then I think the 270 mp might still be an issue, but it wold be better than it is now.
15 Sep 2018, 18:51 PM

One useful buff to it in its reinforcement halftrack configuration would be swapping out the M5's Overdrive for the M3's Step On It.
15 Sep 2018, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2018, 18:51 PMLago
One useful buff to it in its reinforcement halftrack configuration would be swapping out the M5's Overdrive for the M3's Step On It.

What's the difference between the two?
15 Sep 2018, 22:12 PM

What's the difference between the two?

Step On It costs no munitions but disables weapons.
15 Sep 2018, 23:43 PM

Good idea. I like that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS