Login

russian armor

Prizepool finalised!

A_E
9 Sep 2018, 22:16 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

After a very successful tech test at the studio today we took a bit step in finalising that element of the budget.

Meaning I can now put the prize-pool up to its maximum in confidence we've got everything covered.

From GCS2.ORG

If you consider that the trophy is worth $200 and a GTX 1080 is $500 on amazon.com this put the first place at just about equivalent to the $2,700 1st prize offered by OCF in 2015 which was the biggest prize we've had to date.

Considering you have flights, hotels, food, drink all paid for too I think is good going for a 5 year old game!

I think that's really good bang for our buck, and gives the players a lot to fight for if they didn't need motivation already :D
9 Sep 2018, 22:20 PM

9 Sep 2018, 22:40 PM
Donator 11

Although I respect all of the players who are in and I think they all deserve some prize, I think it would be better for the competition if the 7th/8th prize wasn't as big. The differences seem to be very small down there. I would take 50$ off both 7th and 8th, then give it to 4th and 5th place. But hey I'm not the organiser here ;)
A_E
9 Sep 2018, 22:44 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Although I respect all of the players who are in and I think they all deserve some prize, I think it would be better for the competition if the 7th/8th prize wasn't as big. I would take 50 off both 7th and 8th, then give it to 4th and 5th place. But hey I'm not the organiser here ;)

I want the players players to see the $150 minimum as:

1) a bonus for qualifying as they all had to do a lot of work to get to the tournament, and the qualification tournaments carried no prize as such.

2) 'expenses' i.e. I want them to feel as though they have money in their pocket and if they're short on cash should not be afraid to buy themselves a nice breakfast or get a taxi if they need one etc.

Hope that makes sense!
9 Sep 2018, 22:49 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Sep 2018, 22:44 PMA_E

I want the players players to see the $150 minimum as:

1) a bonus for qualifying as they all had to do a lot of work to get to the tournament, and the qualification tournaments carried no prize as such.

2) 'expenses' i.e. I want them to feel as though they have money in their pocket and if they're short on cash should not be afraid to buy themselves a nice breakfast or get a taxi if they need one etc.

Hope that makes sense!

Yes it does. They surely all deserve the minimum 150 dollar prize. I just hope they will still fight like lions for additional 50, even if they end up in the lower bracket :P
A_E
9 Sep 2018, 22:51 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Yes it does. They surely all deserve the minimum 150 dollar prize. I just hope they will still fight like lions for additional 50, even if they end up in the lower bracket :P

I know what you mean, if you consider if you lose that round 1 lower bracket you're out on day 1 and lose the chance to fight to compete for $2,000, a trophy, and a gtx 1080 I think they will fight :D
10 Sep 2018, 08:26 AM
Director of Social Media Badge

11 Sep 2018, 17:36 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

So I gotta ask, since you've been so adamant about transparency... if it's ~$4k for the prizepool, where's the other $10k go?

You also said that you won't do another one of these, which is too bad, but ofc I understand it completely. Is one of the reasons that it's just not worth the amount of time you put in, financially speaking?
A_E
11 Sep 2018, 18:09 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

So I gotta ask, since you've been so adamant about transparency... if it's ~$4k for the prizepool, where's the other $10k go?

It's a live event with related live event costs, I'm sure you can begin to see how expensive that is and how quickly $10k would be eaten up??? Eight players being flown in and accommodated, a venue being ran and a show being produced, GCS2 is a live event tournament it has live event tournament costs.

I intend to release the budget once costs are finalised, but last year's costs are all public as a reference point.

If we were to run at a profit and a direct recompensation of time spent you'd be looking at 22k at least in my estimation. As it is we're on the cusp of doing something amazing and doing a lot more with less, which I'm very proud of.

You also said that you won't do another one of these, which is too bad, but ofc I understand it completely. Is one of the reasons that it's just not worth the amount of time you put in, financially speaking?

No- the dominant reason is after this tournament I would have completed my objectives in this endeavour and the project will be considered complete.

It is not an ongoing concern aka a profit motivated business. It's simply a hobby based passion project, driven by the satisfaction of doing a good job and the motivation of wanting something great to look back on for the next 50 or so years.

I don't seek to make any monetary gain from this endeavour and that isn't a motivating factor. As evidenced from the fact that I have only ever given myself reasonable re compensation for direct costs incurred as part of the project, no monetary gain. So fuel for travel to venue, modest but very necessary hardware upgrades during GCS1 which massively improved my casting quality.

When money is in the question hobby based stuff like this can get very convoluted and passionless in my opinion. It is best to keep financial gain in the business world and passions for your private life, at least that's how I see it. For the same reasons I turned down a well paying position at ESL.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★