Login

russian armor

Very few cost effective counters to upgraded Grens

PAGES (11)down
19 Sep 2013, 10:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2013, 00:47 AMUGBEAR

most constructive tips I've seen in my life

There is a simple logic. Upgraded Grens have to remain stationary to be effective.
Everything that will force them to move, or is good at hitting stationary targets is effective against them.

You throw molotov you force them to move, thus neglecting their dps, or they will burn in flames.
Mortar will wipe stationary targets with easy. With tanks you just keep them away from panzerfaust range and shoot to death. Or just drive over them.

There are plenty counters to Grens and the further game goes the more meaningless they become as game shifts towards heavy hitters.
Sorry but this topic is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
The statement is false as well.
The only one I agree is that LGM Grenadiers are better than vanilla Conscripts but this is obvious and was designed this way. You have many other ways to deal with LMG than Conscripts.
19 Sep 2013, 10:58 AM

I don´t get this whole topic. What´s needed is some upgrades for conscripts late game - to keep their usefulness. But any nerf to the Grenadiers early on will totally screw the game. The big MG42s don´t do their job any longer, some will disagree, but I don´t build them as blobs charge into their arc and kill it.

Now even Grenadiers shall get a nerf? You can´t be serious. Do you want German players to throw rocks at the Russians?
raw
19 Sep 2013, 11:43 AM

There is a simple logic. Upgraded Grens have to remain stationary to be effective.
Everything that will force them to move, or is good at hitting stationary targets is effective against them.

In an environment involving nonstupid players, not having your grenadiers move is a trivial excercise. Additionally, range is everything in this game and soviets always have to close in, so it's very easy to predict where is moving when towards what.
19 Sep 2013, 12:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2013, 05:20 AMNullist
@Blovski: Why are you comparing Vet 0 units with Vet 2 units? Let alone upgraded Vet 2 units to Vet 0 units? Furthermore, is there a reason you omitted the survival bonus Sov inf gets with Vet 2 alongside the dmg bonus?

I'm comparing the effectiveness of the vet 2 units of each faction against the vet 0 units of the other. The vet 2 units are even in a vacuum but when you start throwing fresh vet 0 or vet 1 units on both sides into the mix, I personally much prefer to have the (even LMGless) grenadiers unless I've got the PPSH doctrine.

It means that if you have vet 2 grens, the loss of vet squads for your opponent will often seal the game, while having vet 2 cons won't necessarily do that. It also makes vetted grenadiers much more likely to run the gauntlet than vetted conscripts and a bit easier to keep alive.

I neglected the armour bonus for the Soviet units at vet 2 because it's way smaller (1.25x1.0 as opposed to 1.78x1.5) than the gren vet 2 armour increase. It makes a difference, but not a huge one.
19 Sep 2013, 14:35 PM

You throw molotov you force them to move, thus neglecting their dps, or they will burn in flames.
Mortar will wipe stationary targets with easy. With tanks you just keep them away from panzerfaust range and shoot to death. Or just drive over them.

There are plenty counters to Grens and the further game goes the more meaningless they become as game shifts towards heavy hitters.
Sorry but this topic is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
The statement is false as well.
The only one I agree is that LGM Grenadiers are better than vanilla Conscripts but this is obvious and was designed this way. You have many other ways to deal with LMG than Conscripts.

It is disturbing how biased you r post is, you obviously don't play Soviets. Molotov are useless against lmg Grens only a fool would do that, you'll lose half of the squad charging them, and then retreat wasting manpower and munitions.lmg German come early enough to delay the Russian early game and can delay when armor comes out, have tried you the Soviet mortar? It is useless, but you wouldn't know that since you always use the German Turbo mortars or mortar Halftrack.
19 Sep 2013, 16:20 PM

It is disturbing how biased you r post is, you obviously don't play Soviets. Molotov are useless against lmg Grens only a fool would do that, you'll lose half of the squad charging them, and then retreat wasting manpower and munitions.lmg German come early enough to delay the Russian early game and can delay when armor comes out, have tried you the Soviet mortar? It is useless, but you wouldn't know that since you always use the German Turbo mortars or mortar Halftrack.

I find it funny that a Soviet-oriented player such as yourself is accusing Oz of faction favoritism when he has defended Soviet unit balance in several other threads.

If it is bias you are looking for, take a close look in the mirror.

This is pathetic. Every "balance discussion" eventually (or quickly, I should say) degrades into these flame fests where personal insults and accusations fly around like no tomorrow. What the fuck. Grow up, people.
19 Sep 2013, 17:09 PM

The only problem with molotovs is that the conscripts usually have to step out of cover to throw it. You'll lose half the squad almost immediately. If you happen to be fighting at a distance that's within the throw range, it's a pretty effective deterrent.
19 Sep 2013, 17:26 PM

The only problem with molotovs is that the conscripts usually have to step out of cover to throw it. You'll lose half the squad almost immediately. If you happen to be fighting at a distance that's within the throw range, it's a pretty effective deterrent.

no need to exaggerate. we all know the lmg is good, but it doesnt do 240 damage "almost immediately". even within 10m it only does 17 dps. ill let you do the math.

youve got plenty of bias in this post as well. i dont think anyone suggested charging an lmg from long range with a single conscript. he made the point that throwing a molotov stops the lmg from firing, which is true. if you see that as foolish, what is your solution? let it keep shooting you? the turbo mortar argument is also getting really old. the soviet mortar is more accurate. that means it takes less shots for it to hit its target. thats why the german mortar fires faster, it misses more. then at vet 1 just use precision strike and kill any weapon team you want in 1 shot.
19 Sep 2013, 18:13 PM

It is not bias it is facts. Molotov are useless you throw the Molotov they move the squad and start shooting again and you lose 2-3 men, explain to me how that helps me? That's 40mp and 15 munitions wasted. The Soviet mortar has the rate of fire of s snail, it doesn't matter if it's accurate it relies on luck and is more difficult to vet than a German mortar which seems pretty accurate when I use it.
19 Sep 2013, 18:19 PM

Permanently Banned
So you are trying to tell us that Relic has made Molotovs useless?
19 Sep 2013, 18:27 PM

Molotov are good against unit in buildings (some times) weapon teams ( some times) and rarely a pg charge. They are to gimmicky .
19 Sep 2013, 19:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2013, 17:26 PMwooof

no need to exaggerate. we all know the lmg is good, but it doesnt do 240 damage "almost immediately". even within 10m it only does 17 dps. ill let you do the math.

Does that include the dps from the other models? Regardless, you're probably not going into the fight with perfectly full health conscripts, and it's been my observation that it's not effective to step out of cover to throw a molotov. I usually lose a minimum of 2 guys before the grenade goes off.

At any rate, I just do what I said in my first post... avoid them until I get a proper counter. Why would I go up against a unit that's a perfect counter to my unit? I don't go into fights that are going to lose me the manpower war.
20 Sep 2013, 00:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2013, 11:43 AMraw

In an environment involving nonstupid players, not having your grenadiers move is a trivial excercise. Additionally, range is everything in this game and soviets always have to close in, so it's very easy to predict where is moving when towards what.

If they won't move they will get punished by mortar or by thrown molotov. I've never said to try to throw one with a squad that is under LMG fire.
Hell even Maxim on max range will neglet LMG dps rendering it useless. There are so many options the devil is in the details as always. Play smart, think, set traps, use your units effectively and try not to waste them.
I agree Cons are medicore late game, but there are so many AI options for Soviets late game that LMG becomes irrelevant.
20 Sep 2013, 05:56 AM

Permanently Banned
"useless" is not a term that should ever be used in balance discussion.

neither should getting personal.

neither a post that says "Is this really necessary?", when the irony is that your own post contributed even less to the topic, than the one you are addressing.
20 Sep 2013, 06:18 AM

Back on topic, yes there are few infantry counters to MG-42 grens.

HOWEVER, mg-42 upgrades are way too expensive early game, which seem to be your guys problem. The german player really shouldn't have enough munitions to be getting mg-42s before you have a better later game solution to grens, either t-34s or katyushas. If the german is rushing his mg-42 upgrades, camp buildings. He won't have enough to use enough rifle grenades to force you out of them, and will be caught up with trying to wittle down one squad. You might not win the engagement, but while that's happening, you can use the 85 muni discrepancy for oorahed conscripts to cap all over the map while his one useful gren squad is tied up.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, Germans are already a munition starved faction, if your opponent is going fast mg-42s you should be happy, just avoid that one squad unless you can hit it in force, take his cut-offs and camp buildings like there is no tomorrow. Then laugh as your t-34s come and shit all over his grens.
20 Sep 2013, 06:28 AM

• Agree. Vanilla conscripts are to vulnerable. Molotovs or houses are your friends now.
  • Some what disagree. Molotov is solid imo as it does force your opponent to move which lets you get in more damage. Keep in mind you don't always have to throw it, you can bait an opponent and make them react and quickly cancel.
  • Disagree. Shocks destroy LMG grens, all you have to do is get close. Aim grenades on the biggest clump or the man with the LMG to buy yourself an extra 1-2 secs of no damage.
  • Agree. Penals seems harder to use verse LMG.
  • Agree. Guards don't fancy but hey they shouldn't imo.
  • Agree. Snipers.
  • Some what agree. Maxims actually do quite well but you have to give them a lot of forward vision and catch the Grens at a distance.
  • Disagree. Mortars are actually good verse LMG. The key here is to fight from long-mid range with Conscripts and force a cover shoot out. Eventually that mortar will hit and once you get it to vet1, no capping Gren is safe.

I sort of play it like CoH1 Rifles vs Volks spam, which I felt was the Volk spam was the BO with most potential aggresion if America screwed up a single time. Very similiar to that of Gren spam with LMG. With my Rifles I would always play it defensively but the moment you find the opportunity I pounce on it. In this case though my BAR's are my Shock Troops. I have that mindset and it seems to work against a lot of the high ranked Ostheer players that primarily just spam Grens/LMG and extend to T2 or straight T3.

In the mid-game stages I feel as I said my Shocks handle them find, T3 anti-infantry vehicles and T2/T4 arty.

Feel free to ignore my last post there, Stephenn just said everything I wanted to say. Shocks are my boys. Shouts out the shocks/kv8 doctrine.
20 Sep 2013, 06:59 AM

I find that Grens with LMGs handily beat Shocks for cost over the long term in a war of attrition. Shocks cost almost as much as 2 Grens. Sure 2 sets of LMG42s are very expensive, but it's a one time fee in contrast to the constant man power drain of reinforcements.

HMG42s were overnerfed. If they buff HMG42s back a bit, then lmg42s may be toned down. Pretty much every top German player now is going pure Gren spam now.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS