Login

russian armor

NKVD Disruption Tactics

17 Sep 2013, 15:21 PM

here i come to you in a sudden act of selfishness asking for your opinions, and whith hopes some one on relic sees what i consider a commander that should be not buffed, but changed.

NKVD my beloved commander, here is a small rundown of what you basically do.

now that you have seen him and familiarized i bring up the points of what i consider to be a problem for him.

1. the game has inclined towards the use of many doctrinal units for success in combat, (a relic business model perhaps?) its ok though since i have been going for other commanders without call-ins and i have done well. the current meta might be of using callings but the game can certainly be won without them.

2. all his skills are munitions based. if we look at this commander its heavily based on munitions, 1 skill is free the others are munitions all. in most games. you hardly get your munitions over 200, 150 being the average if you are saving. i think this makes the commander unable to use his skills, turning him into a 2 skills commander and i will get to that point next.

since this commander has no call ins. it means it must really heavily on munitions to deal with most common problems at nades for light vehicles instead of guards, penal with flamers for p greens, Molotov for garrisons. scout flares or recon planes, because since he has no call ins. its a commander that must carefully pick its battles. place mines, etc etc. this always leave me in a position where i am unable to use any of the late game skills. because my munition barely stacks to 100 because of constant expenditure. i think certain changes would be welcome in this commander.

1 remove one of the heavy munition skill and change it for a call in (i would suggest rapid conscription because sturmovik and propaganda are both disruption abilities as per the commander name). this would liberate the munition requirement of the commander and would open up for new strategies.

this are my suggestions on what would be best to replace it with.

option 1
1CP – HM-38 120mm Mortar

this would make a great disruption tactic since mortar + scout plane would make great all around early harassment. it would also give the players a 2 commander with the option of the heavy mortar. right now there is only 1 commander able to use it.

option 2
1CP – Guards Rifle Infantry or 1CP – Shock Troops

these are standard units its purpose again though not as disrruptive it would liberate the heavy munition cost of this commander.

option 3
2CP – AT-Gun Ambush Tactics

another free skill though not as useful now since its bugged. it fits the theme of recon and interception very nice.

option 4
2CP – Conscript Assault Package Upgrade

even though it cost munitions, this is a one time upgrade. and it would benefit the no call in commander in a very big way. making conscripts very useful in the late game.

these options are all focused on early game play. it would turn him into a viable early game hero. with a nice variety of strategies. if its purpose is to be a late game hero. i would suggest any tank call in.

each one bringing a different adition to the battlefield. or

4CP – ML-20 152mm Howitzer

the scout plane howitzer combo would be very strong and would liberate some munition to save for the sturmovik or the propaganda. making the hero rely on radio interception in the early game. and on artillery in the later parts of the game.

last but not least i hope that some one from relic takes this into consideration and perhaps reply, with the idea behind the commander. since this is one of my favorites. and i really find myself bummed when the game turns to a point where i have no munitions and loose most of my game advantage. because i cant use any skill and i have the regret of not having anything in my arsenal not munition reliant to face the new challenge.

what are the fellow users opinions? i would like to bring this commander to the spotlight.
17 Sep 2013, 15:56 PM

I use this commander a lot for fun with a 3 conscript > penal then tier 2 opening. You usually have to put a munitions cache on a point or two. They're in the game for a reason, try that first.

Also, you have to think out of the box a little bit. For instance, I use my tier 2 anti tank guns, with some well placed mines to deal with armor, then go tier 4 for for a katyusha and start winning my infantry engagements or force some retreats. Then try to get out an SU-85 if needed, or maybe more support weapons or a sniper depending on the amount of enemy infantry. Yea, there's a lot of munition heavy abilities but to be fair the russians abilities are often "spammable" so you have to think a bit more before you chuck molotovs left and right. It's why I get penals, so I have a good flanking flamethrower combat unit to dislodge enemies out of buildings and not worry so much about molotovs. Some games I literally do not even get molotovs. Just something to note.
17 Sep 2013, 16:01 PM

Permanently Banned
I want to stress that Radio Intercept is a free constant passive, and pretty much unprecedented as such.

I think that value needs to be considered.
17 Sep 2013, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 16:01 PMNullist
I want to stress that Radio Intercept is a free constant passive, and pretty much unprecedented as such.

He's got a point, you literally know what your opponent is building. So you have to just build the right stuff to counter and the downside is you lose some versatility without having guards or shocks as infantry. It's pretty balanced IMO
17 Sep 2013, 16:14 PM

option 3
2CP – AT-Gun Ambush Tactics

another free skill though not as useful now since its bugged. it fits the theme of recon and interception very nice.

What you say is true, this commander is not balanced well. That's why you almost never see it being used in 1v1 or 2v2 games. It can be useful in 3v3 and 4v4, but I find the Anti Infantry commander better because it has a recon flight plus call ins.

I want to ask you about the highlighted part of your comment, what is the bug you are referring to?
17 Sep 2013, 16:53 PM

I agree that NKVD should be changed slightly, but I think early game call-ins could make the doctrine too strong early game. Knowing what your enemy is going and have an counter that you can call in instantly might be a bit too much.

I think T-34/85s instead of the IL-2 strafe might be better though.
17 Sep 2013, 17:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 16:14 PMAbdul

I want to ask you about the highlighted part of your comment, what is the bug you are referring to?

hiding the at guns kind of halves their effective shooting range. you have to decloack or manually shoot. it only shoots when the tank is very close and no extra damage for that nerf, so far i dont know if it has been fixed.

i will highlight some points on your post then reply
I use this commander a lot for fun with a 3 conscript > penal then tier 2 opening. You usually have to put a munitions cache on a point or two. They're in the game for a reason, try that first.

Also, you have to think out of the box a little bit. For instance, I use my tier 2 anti tank guns, with some well placed mines to deal with armor, then go tier 4 for for a katyusha and start winning my infantry engagements or force some retreats. Then try to get out an SU-85 if needed, or maybe more support weapons or a sniper depending on the amount of enemy infantry. Yea, there's a lot of munition heavy abilities but to be fair the russians abilities are often "spammable" so you have to think a bit more before you chuck molotovs left and right. It's why I get penals, so I have a good flanking flamethrower combat unit to dislodge enemies out of buildings and not worry so much about molotovs. Some games I literally do not even get molotovs. Just something to note.

munitions munitions munitions. the rest are normal ways to deal with normal games. and that obviously its an individual case depending on map and enemy.

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 16:01 PMNullist

He's got a point, you literally know what your opponent is building. So you have to just build the right stuff to counter and the downside is you lose some versatility without having guards or shocks as infantry. It's pretty balanced IMO

its value is considered in my the post. but when you have this:

only munitions cost are for tank fix and sturmovik. freeing you to freely push your conscripts, mines and satchels, to the limit.

now look at this comander and in a match you will.

fix your tanks, use your conscripts, call in 1 or another unit. and save enough for sturmovik.

now nkvd you can.

save on munis lowering your conscripts usefulness and use one of the 3 abilities.

thats all.

also this reinforces my early game suggestions. since armored assault its a late game commander. nkvd should be an early game one.
17 Sep 2013, 17:50 PM

Permanently Banned
Tbh Sov Muni float is pretty much established.
17 Sep 2013, 19:09 PM

Good assessment of the problems. Not really sure about the solutions. I agree that the conscript reinforcement thing is kind of the obvious thing to drop (because you have no PPSHs, so late-game vet 0 conscripts aren't going to be doing much). Personally I think the Howitzer is the best replacement.

NKVD ridiculously effective on Pripyat Winter just because of the silly munitions availability.

@Nullist, not so much right now with decent players.
17 Sep 2013, 19:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 17:50 PMNullist
Tbh Sov Muni float is pretty much established.

i suppose i am the exception. it does not make the commander less munition dependant. 4 munition skills. 3 of them heavy cost ones.
17 Sep 2013, 19:37 PM

Permanently Banned

i suppose i am the exception. it does not make the commander less munition dependant. 4 munition skills. 3 of them heavy cost ones.

Depends on your perspective.

It can be said that having a wider range of abilities that can be used as Muni dumps, is preferable to having a small range of abilities that can be used as a Muni dump.

With this Commander, you have 4 abilities that are reliant only on Munis, and one that is entirely free, passive and works from 1CP. From some perspectives, arguably, that is superior to having only 2 or 3 range of abilities for Munis.

Yes, it means making full use of all of the abilities requires more Muni.
But it also means there is a wider range of Muni abilities to be utilised to more diverse results and situations.
17 Sep 2013, 21:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 19:37 PMNullist

Depends on your perspective.

It can be said that having a wider range of abilities that can be used as Muni dumps, is preferable to having a small range of abilities that can be used as a Muni dump.

With this Commander, you have 4 abilities that are reliant only on Munis, and one that is entirely free, passive and works from 1CP. From some perspectives, arguably, that is superior to having only 2 or 3 range of abilities for Munis.

Yes, it means making full use of all of the abilities requires more Muni.
But it also means there is a wider range of Muni abilities to be utilised to more diverse results and situations.

let me get this straight. so you pick this commander, exclusively to float munitions in hopes you can use it for 1 out of 3 cases.
infantry losses.
blobbed infantry.
blobbed tanks.

or decide to use it in 2 skill recon flight + conscript and units habilities.

efectively making the comander of 2 skills radio+recon or radio+1munisfloatskills.

and you compare that to the armored assault comander.

wich has 1 munis float skill+ vehicle callins+ vehicle repair(global upgrade)+radio. 4 usefull skills

or vehicle call ins + army munis usage +vehicle repair(global upgrade)+radio. 3 usefull skills.
17 Sep 2013, 21:44 PM

NKVD commander is the worst among all those commander trees, there's little to disccuss about that, the armored assualt is somewhat gimped cuz lack of Guards or Shock troops or proper support ability(never consider IL-2 strafing useful)
17 Sep 2013, 22:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 21:44 PMUGBEAR
NKVD commander is the worst among all those commander trees, there's little to disccuss about that, the armored assualt is somewhat gimped cuz lack of Guards or Shock troops or proper support ability(never consider IL-2 strafing useful)

in this i disagree. and i do consider him very useful for the skills he had and the combination of them.
17 Sep 2013, 22:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 19:09 PMBlovski
Good assessment of the problems. Not really sure about the solutions. I agree that the conscript reinforcement thing is kind of the obvious thing to drop (because you have no PPSHs, so late-game vet 0 conscripts aren't going to be doing much). Personally I think the Howitzer is the best replacement.

NKVD ridiculously effective on Pripyat Winter just because of the silly munitions availability.

@Nullist, not so much right now with decent players.

to me its either the howitzer or the heavy mortar. i would prefer the heavy mortar though. i wish it had more than 1 commander.
17 Sep 2013, 22:45 PM

in this i disagree. and i do consider him very useful for the skills he had and the combination of them.

I agree that the doctrine is both underwhelming and too munitions heavy right now. I would like to see the fear propaganda ability removed and a 2cp ability added in the form of an NKVD officer. Seems natural that the NKVD tree would have an NKVD officer.

NKVD officer:
2 CPs
240MP
Limit 1 squad
6 man squad, 5 with Mosin Nagants, 1 officer with a revolver
Conscript armor (1)

Abilities include:
-Propaganda drop (50 munis) -- Same as current propaganda arty but only fires one burst onto target
-"No Surrender!" -- Same as German officer's inspire ability
-Interrogation -- Same as German interrogation ability

This would give the doctrine a quantity limited call in adding to the flexibility and character of the tree.
17 Sep 2013, 23:00 PM

I agree the NKVD needs some kind of change or maybe even a buff. I don`t think I`ve ever seen anybody using this commander. Radio Intercept may be good but obviously it is not good enough to make ppl use this commander:/

I like the proposed change to swap Rapid Conscription for 120mm mortar, fits the theme pretty well plus the Rapid Conscription without PPSHs is really meh.

Alternatively if more of a buff is wanted I would suggest swap IL2 for PPSH upgrade to complete the combo and boost infantry.

Incorporaing Guards/Shock Troops would make this commander loose his uniqueness imo.
17 Sep 2013, 23:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2013, 22:45 PMEnkidu

I agree that the doctrine is both underwhelming and too munitions heavy right now. I would like to see the fear propaganda ability removed and a 2cp ability added in the form of an NKVD officer. Seems natural that the NKVD tree would have an NKVD officer.

NKVD officer:
2 CPs
240MP
Limit 1 squad
6 man squad, 5 with Mosin Nagants, 1 officer with a revolver
Conscript armor (1)

Abilities include:
-Propaganda drop (50 munis) -- Same as current propaganda arty but only fires one burst onto target
-"No Surrender!" -- Same as German officer's inspire ability
-Interrogation -- Same as German interrogation ability

This would give the doctrine a quantity limited call in adding to the flexibility and character of the tree.

i was talking about the armoured assault one. an nkvd officer would be nice. though programming a new unit takes more effort than changing for an already existing one.
18 Sep 2013, 01:38 AM

to me its either the howitzer or the heavy mortar. i would prefer the heavy mortar though. i wish it had more than 1 commander.

I dunno, I kind of feel the Howitzer with Recon Plane would really give you some serious toys for the end game of the doctrine as a reward for stumbling through without guards, shocks or conscript upgrades.
18 Sep 2013, 02:07 AM

i was talking about the armoured assault one. an nkvd officer would be nice. though programming a new unit takes more effort than changing for an already existing one.

True, although the NKVD officer model is already in the campaign and I don't think it would be any harder to balance than adding a different unit to the tree. The biggest challenge would be the UI for the abilities but even then you could just recycle existing icons as all three suggested abilities already exist.

I would just love to see more officers in game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★