Login

russian armor

RIflemen, the most overrated unit in the game?

• This thread is locked
8 Oct 2018, 04:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2018, 02:28 AMCODGUY

Riflemen do get better if you can some how survive long enough to unlock the weapon rack and give them double bars. At the start of the game though they are an absolute joke. You literally have no effective combat units as USF for the first 5 minutes of the game.

even with double bar they perform quite poorly on open maps such as langreskaya, minsk pocket etc for a unit thats 280 man power and 120 muni.
8 Oct 2018, 16:15 PM

In such case you should be using Airbornes but in all honesty, I'd veto all long range open maps as USF.
8 Oct 2018, 16:37 PM

i hate USF upgrades so damn expensive plz reduce them
11 Oct 2018, 14:48 PM

I completely agree with you.

There is a questionable game mechanics that compromise with Riflemen's effectiveness, especially in early stage of a game. While Axis and Soviets infantry can upgrade their weapons anywhere, the US (and British Forces to a lesser extent) must pay an upgrade for weapon unlock and must retreat to base to get the weapons. This make early map control more difficult, especially when VoksGren and Gren already got their STG/LMG upgrade.

Also i have tried the 2 BAR and BAR/LMG combo, equip them on 3 squads of riflemen and still they struggle to kill even flanked weapon teams (unless i throw a grenade)

i also notice that each rifleman individual dies more easily than its Axis counterpart. Only the Conscripts share the same fragility
With the constant dying, Riflemen are really a manpower drain

13 Oct 2018, 06:49 AM

Also i have tried the 2 BAR and BAR/LMG combo, equip them on 3 squads of riflemen and still they struggle to kill even flanked weapon teams (unless i throw a grenade)

That sounds like complete bull. Rifleman with these upgrades, especially BAR + LMG can compete against vetted German infantry, and can take out flanked team weapons quick. Hope you know they don't shoot the LMG on the move, only paratroopers do that.
14 Oct 2018, 05:19 AM

I used to hate rifles, but at late game they are kings on the field (well, kinda).

The big problem is that rifles take FOREVER to vet and they are only okay at vet 3, so until then you are screwed, and god forbid you lose a squad mid game.
14 Oct 2018, 21:29 PM

That sounds like complete bull. Rifleman with these upgrades, especially BAR + LMG can compete against vetted German infantry, and can take out flanked team weapons quick. Hope you know they don't shoot the LMG on the move, only paratroopers do that.

Yeah stats would prove him wrong there. Even normal rifles can shred weapon team models since they have a 1.25 target size. Rifles also start with a .9 RA, which is better than volksgrenadiers (not sure about normal grens). Conscripts have a target size larger than 1 so it’s impossible for them to be dying at the same rate as riflemen.
15 Oct 2018, 00:58 AM

Rifles starting RA is 0,97 to be precise, they still cost more and will easily lose to much cheaper grenadiers and volks grenadiers with basic support from T0 units, USF light vehicles being all nerfed also means they got a lot more weight to carry to keep the faction competitive.
Which is sadly not the case.
15 Oct 2018, 02:15 AM

You'll need to learn which unit effective on what range. If you face off against volks or gren just push the Rifleman Unit into their face and see them melt. But if you face against Sturmpio or even normal pio them just put them medium range or long range.

I've main USF for a really long time and i can safely tell you that early to mid game they are the champion. But i do however felt that late game they are a little hard to scale against units like Ober or Falshim or even vet 3 Pzgren if you're not careful, which hence combine arms like Scott or even Sherman are essential to utilize your Rifleman unit.
12 Dec 2018, 06:32 AM

If you face off against volks or gren just push the Rifleman Unit into their face and see them melt. But if you face against Sturmpio or even normal pio them just put them medium range or long range.

I hear this a lot but the reality is in most cases you CANNOT do that. You cannot advance on Volks or Grens because they will pick your men off as they approach. Early in the game Volks and Grens are behind cover or their own sandbags as you're advancing.
12 Dec 2018, 10:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Dec 2018, 06:32 AMCODGUY

I hear this a lot but the reality is in most cases you CANNOT do that. You cannot advance on Volks or Grens because they will pick your men off as they approach. Early in the game Volks and Grens are behind cover or their own sandbags as you're advancing.

Yes, again is really situational, as if you turn tables on volks or gren trying to take position while fighting against rifles whoms already in position can be the same thing. Is really depends on what situation you're going to put your rifleman or vise versa. Are they being supported with other infantry, are you bringing your own infantry, how many do they have vs how many do you have. What units within your hands can you use to counter their strat etc etc etc.

If lets say a volks squad alone behind green cover, and i have 2 rifleman needing to take over that position, 1 squad will take yellow or green cover and engage, while another will swoop in from another angle and attack it's position. Again is really depend on what given situation you're in and how you solve it, and what grounds you can move to make use of it.
12 Dec 2018, 11:06 AM

I completely agree with you.
i also notice that each rifleman individual dies more easily than its Axis counterpart. Only the Conscripts share the same fragility
With the constant dying, Riflemen are really a manpower drain

Early game USF riflemen beat Grens 1v1 every single time and they are better with double bar/lmgs when vetted up than any grenadier with only 1xlmg.
16 Dec 2018, 03:24 AM

Just go Armored and use Ass Engies as your baseline infantry. Same cost, but more DPS (5 damage per shot versus only 8(!) for the rifleman, but with full auto SMGs), provided you can get close. Can BAR them up later for better ranged ability.

Be sure to find something that smokes to cover pushes.

10 Mar 2019, 06:41 AM

Better to give up USF in team game. Your life will be better. They simply have no viable option to counter the combo of Ost mg spam with hordes of volks protecting it. Flanking is not viable due to the map size and you simply get out numbered by volks. USF can only bully ost with rifleman in 1v1 while their MG is not presence at anywhere with sufficient support.
10 Mar 2019, 07:09 AM

Better to give up USF in team game. Your life will be better. They simply have no viable option to counter the combo of Ost mg spam with hordes of volks protecting it. Flanking is not viable due to the map size and you simply get out numbered by volks. USF can only bully ost with rifleman in 1v1 while their MG is not presence at anywhere with sufficient support.

I know they're massively inferior to OST and OKW in 1v1 but I rarely play anything beyond that. Not really surprising though they're preformance would be even worse in team games. I just think the main reason USF is so bad is because you have to depend on Riflemen but Riflemen just don't preform, not for the amount of resources they take up. In spite of people quoting all these stats they're are just not effective unless you can afford to fully upgrade them but if you can do that you'd probably be winning without those upgrades anyway.
12 Mar 2019, 16:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Necro is real.

/locked.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 37
unknown 24
Mexico 14
Germany 899

Ladders Top 10

• #