Login

russian armor

What if Thompson paratroopers could camouflage?

17 Aug 2018, 03:04 AM

Just sort of a conceptual food for thought thread.

There’s loads of other infantry with cqc weapons that can camo in this game, and I think it’d fit the “theme” of the unit pretty well considering that they are paratroopers. They also have kind of bad RA modifiers IIRC and drop pretty fast, making it hard to use them as a cqc unit.

I’m not super married to this idea and it might not be that balanced but I personally believe it’s a pretty decent idea.
17 Aug 2018, 03:06 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Initial thought before reading: hell no! Why? Because they’re the highest DPS unit in the game.

Thoughts after reading post: no
17 Aug 2018, 03:09 AM

Just sort of a conceptual food for thought thread.

There’s loads of other infantry with cqc weapons that can camo in this game, and I think it’d fit the “theme” of the unit pretty well considering that they are paratroopers. They also have kind of bad RA modifiers IIRC and drop pretty fast, making it hard to use them as a cqc unit.

I’m not super married to this idea and it might not be that balanced but I personally believe it’s a pretty decent idea.

You would have to change thompsons to be similar to the ppsh/sten in which it has almost no mid range damage. Having a 6 man squad camo with a short tick grenade that still deals good damage at mid range would probably be op.
17 Aug 2018, 03:12 AM

Initial thought before reading: hell no! Why? Because they’re the highest DPS unit in the game.

Thoughts after reading post: no

Fair enough XD

So I did make you go from hell no to no though? Must have made a compelling argument for a dumb concept.

However, it seems to me like there’s not a lot of reason to use Thompson paras except maybe as a dedicated wiping squad in 1v1s since they’re kinda squishy. I would legitimately like to know if I’m wrong and there’s other better ways to use them.
17 Aug 2018, 03:26 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Fair enough XD

So I did make you go from hell no to no though? Must have made a compelling argument for a dumb concept.

However, it seems to me like there’s not a lot of reason to use Thompson paras except maybe as a dedicated wiping squad in 1v1s since they’re kinda squishy. I would legitimately like to know if I’m wrong and there’s other better ways to use them.

Well after thinking about it for more than 3 seconds I realized that stormtroopers have both camo and tactical assault, which is what these would become. However they only have 4 men and I don’t recall the DPS curve comparisons for the Thompson vs the StG44. What I do know is that they both have very forgiving DPS curves. While it is difficult to get paratroopers through open flanks undetected, if and when you can get them on those retreat paths it is an absolute slaughter fest. They can wipe practically any unit that is retreating with tactical assault.

They’re still good on CQC oriented maps. I prefer them over the LMGs (but I prefer rangers because of the Pershing) on kholodney ferma. Specifically in the south around all those hedges.

If you’re just looking for less bleed try vetted rangers with Thompson’s. Less DPS but higher RA IIRC. You can walk them up to vet 5 obers with the 34 and win.
17 Aug 2018, 03:36 AM

Well after thinking about it for more than 3 seconds I realized that stormtroopers have both camo and tactical assault, which is what these would become. However they only have 4 men and I don’t recall the DPS curve comparisons for the Thompson vs the StG44. What I do know is that they both have very forgiving DPS curves. While it is difficult to get paratroopers through open flanks undetected, if and when you can get them on those retreat paths it is an absolute slaughter fest. They can wipe practically any unit that is retreating with tactical assault.

They’re still good on CQC oriented maps. I prefer them over the LMGs (but I prefer rangers because of the Pershing) on kholodney ferma. Specifically in the south around all those hedges.

If you’re just looking for less bleed try vetted rangers with Thompson’s. Less DPS but higher RA IIRC. You can walk them up to vet 5 obers with the 34 and win.

Yeah I just don’t use Thompson paras because they mostly get outclassed by rangers, and because 1919s work much better on paras anyway. Vetted rangers are from the matrix or something lol.

But yeah, I was thinking about it as sort of an over the top thing, but I realized you have stormtroopers (as you stated) and also falls with camo along with commandos. All have powerful nades and either an ambush bonus/active ability or very forgiving dps curves or both.
17 Aug 2018, 07:51 AM

Although i play with Paratroopers (they are my favorite unit in both CoHs) i'm strongly opposed to this. They have the "Tactical Assault" ability which is just devastating. And also, they are designed for harrassment behind enemy lines. It would be good if Paratroopers could reinforce anywhere in the map, like in CoH 1.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★