Login

russian armor

New ATI Radeon RX 580 card, getting blackscreen in-game

4 Aug 2018, 20:45 PM

Hi,

Hoping someone can help an old time CoH player here. I recently upgraded my graphics card to better enjoy coh2, but when the game loads and starts to play, I get flickering, mostly the screen just goes black. The lobby works fine, its only after I start a game or replay does the problem happen. I even have all the setting on low, with no vsync and no anti-aliasing.

I've played coh2 with a Nvidia geforce card and I never had issues like this before. My specs are listed below. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I also set my launch options as follows in an attempt to resolve the issue:

-novsync -notriplebuffer -refresh 60 -nomovies

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93GHz 48 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
EVGA 132-BL-E758 (Socket 423) 25 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG U28E590 (3840x2160@60Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (XFX Pine Group) 37 °C

Graphics
Monitor
Name SAMSUNG U28E590 on Radeon RX 580 Series
Current Resolution 2560x1440 pixels
Work Resolution 2560x1400 pixels
State Enabled, Primary, Unsafe
Monitor Width 3840
Monitor Height 2160
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
ATI Radeon RX 580 Series
Manufacturer ATI
Model Radeon RX 580 Series
Device ID 1002-67DF
Revision E8
Subvendor XFX Pine Group (1682)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Voltage 0.800 V
GPU Clock 1386.0 MHz
Temperature 36 °C
Core Voltage 0.800 V
Driver version 24.20.12019.1010
BIOS Version 113-58085SHC1-W90
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory 8192 MB
Bandwidth 256.0 GB/s
Count of performance levels : 2
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
Level 2 - "Perf Level 1"

4 Aug 2018, 21:05 PM

Does the system work with other games?

I would try Vertical Sync (V sync) on. The purpose of V sync is to minimize screen tearing as you are trying to update the image on the screen before it is done drawing it. So you get discontinuity lines on the screen. Should never go black though.

I do not have experience with the different monitor syncs from AMD/nVidia so not sure if screen blackout is possible. Quick search shows people getting black screens when using FREESYNC in various games.

EDIT: Looks like your monitor supports FREESYNC to 1ms according to Newegg. nVidia would not use it since their version is G-Sync. AMD uses FreeSync. That is where I would start.
4 Aug 2018, 21:09 PM

Does the system work with other games?

I would try Vertical Sync (V sync) on. The purpose of V sync is to minimize screen tearing as you are trying to update the image on the screen before it is done drawing it. So you get discontinuity lines on the screen. Should never go black though.

I do not have experience with the different monitor syncs from AMD/nVidia so not sure if screen blackout is possible. Quick search shows people getting black screens when using FREESYNC in various games.

Thanks for quick reply. I haven't tried other games (I pretty much only play coh). Also I had turned off FREESYNC and I still get the issue. :(

So many setting combinations, spent a lot of hours trying various things and still can't seem to correct the issue.

EDIT: I tried turning on V sync and still get the issue
4 Aug 2018, 21:16 PM

@Rosbone - yes monitor does support Freesync, that is why I went with AMD card. I never had an issue with nvivida cards in all my years with Coh.
4 Aug 2018, 22:26 PM

Im no expert but as you have switched from nvidia to ati its possible some of the old nvidia driver is lingering on your pc and causing the issue.

Download display driver uninstaller.

Uninstall your ati driver through programs and features.

Boot in to safe mode and run display driver uninstaller for both nvidia and ati. DDU should also change a windows setting to stop windows from updating your display driver automatically.

Reboot in to windows and install the new ati driver.

If this doesnt work try updating your motherboard bios.
5 Aug 2018, 00:49 AM

It's a long shot, but it might be worth renaming your 'company of heroes 2' folder in Documents. That's where it stores all your settings. Renaming it should reset everything, without losing any replays or whatever.
5 Aug 2018, 23:53 PM

UPDATE:

I wound up going back to EVGA Nvidia. Got GTX 1080.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08g-p4-6183-kr

Best Buy matched price at $469 USD. Installed card, drives and Coh2 worked perfect!

So sad to see AMD have these issues. I should have just stuck with nvidia, but since my monitor had freesync I tried AMD, never again!

If anyone else has AMD, check out this video it may help if you have a similar problem.

EDIT: correct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=JUpL8giZx4A

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, appreciated.
6 Aug 2018, 04:30 AM

I would normally say sorry it did not work out but...1080 :hyper:
6 Aug 2018, 05:01 AM
Donator 11

Off topic:
6 Aug 2018, 12:23 PM

I would normally say sorry it did not work out but...1080 :hyper:

haha, yeah, my budget was $300, so I spent much more then I wanted to, but then i said "screw it, go big or go home."
6 Aug 2018, 15:40 PM

i have a rx480 and never had problem with coh2. with nvidia i have ping building.... so u use a 4k monitor in qhd resolution.
6 Aug 2018, 15:56 PM

UPDATE:

Best Buy matched price at $469 USD. Installed card, drives and Coh2 worked perfect!

So sad to see AMD have these issues. I should have just stuck with nvidia, but since my monitor had freesync I tried AMD, never again!

If anyone else has AMD, check out this video it may help if you have a similar problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXCsdaBnlnA

AMD doesn´t have "these" issues. You are the only one I have ever heard of having this problem. So please don´t blame AMD for your own "user error". So please do think a little bit before writing stuff like "AMD, never again!".

As to other people reading this thread and maybe getting a wrong impression. I have a RX480 which uses the same graphics chip than the RX580 and never had a single problem for the last 2 years.
6 Aug 2018, 15:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2018, 15:40 PMMr +
i have a rx480 and never had problem with coh2. with nvidia i have ping building.... so u use a 4k monitor in qhd resolution.

Yeah no one has issues running COH2 with RX480/580... Except for OP.
6 Aug 2018, 18:36 PM

AMD doesn´t have "these" issues. You are the only one I have ever heard of having this problem. So please don´t blame AMD for your own "user error". So please do think a little bit before writing stuff like "AMD, never again!".

lol, yeah it does have issue with screen flashing. Just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean it isn't a problem. I bought the card and it didn't work despite all the effort and time I tried to make it work. On the other hand the nvidia card worked right away, plugged it in and all fine.

As to other people reading this thread and maybe getting a wrong impression. I have a RX480 which uses the same graphics chip than the RX580 and never had a single problem for the last 2 years.

Just because I said I will not buy AMD again isn't to persuade anyone else. I even included a link to help people who may have the same problem.

Take a chill pill bro.

6 Aug 2018, 19:27 PM

Just to stir the pot some more and explain why I could not help more:
I have not owned an ATI/AMD card since HDMI came out. AMD defaulted to 10% underscan on a digital interface. I was like only a FULL retard would do that. And you could not fix it with the Windows driver. You had to load the AMD driver. Every LAN techs dream when your loading 100's of machines for business use :P
6 Aug 2018, 19:59 PM

UPDATE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXCsdaBnlnA

No offense but this video doesnt even mention AMD. I dont understand how your blaming AMD for a 3 year old video that talks about a problem and a fix for windows 10. For all you know the guy in the video had a nvidia card in the machine.

I hope you have more luck with COH2 and your 1080 than me.

From my experience/understanding COH2 and nvidia 1080 = bugsplat, bugsplat, bugsplat, bugsplat.

My 980 never bugsplat once but it does every couple of games with my 1080. Same goes for all of the other people i know that upgraded to the 1080.

I really hope this isnt the case for you as its bloody annoying.
7 Aug 2018, 10:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2018, 19:59 PMMongal

No offense but this video doesnt even mention AMD. I dont understand how your blaming AMD for a 3 year old video that talks about a problem and a fix for windows 10. For all you know the guy in the video had a nvidia card in the machine.

I pasted the wrong video, this is the correct one that talks about the known AMD "flicker" issue:

Either way, I had an issue with AMD card and my experience is not alone. Many people here tried to help me with it, so thank you for that. Others seemed the need to defend AMD as if they had stock in the company.

Regardless, its just good to be playing Coh again. Cheers.

7 Aug 2018, 11:53 AM

I pasted the wrong video, this is the correct one that talks about the known AMD "flicker" issue:

Either way, I had an issue with AMD card and my experience is not alone. Many people here tried to help me with it, so thank you for that. Others seemed the need to defend AMD as if they had stock in the company.

Regardless, its just good to be playing Coh again. Cheers.

Every product you might buy has some potential issues. AMD has them, Nvidia has them, Intel has them, Apple has them etc etc...

Your post is just very unbalanced and not well though out considering no one else can´t play COH2 because they have an AMD GPU. I never had an issue with COH2 and my GPU since I bought my RX480 in 2016. One of my 2v2 partners runs a RX 580, again without a problem. So yeah, it´s not AMD´s fault.

If you google Nvidia GTX 1080 problems/issues you will get an endlessly long list of people reporting their problems, just try.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS