Login

russian armor

Relic is near bankruptcy (mod edit: allegedly)

4 Aug 2018, 10:32 AM

According to owler site, relic had Estimated Annual Revenue previous year is only $4.5M, that extremely low, it's lower than all salary of all relic employers, even if we calculate all averaged salary like one employer gets 70k $, if we calculate we will get 70000*205=14,35M $, and get fact that relix working in extreme lession, and in fact their revenque lower than averaged budget of game of AAA-class (18-24 M $). Maybe this is reason of all support problems of relic RTSes?
P.S. I'm afraid very soon relic will be closure:(
Sources:
https://www.owler.com/company/relic
https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Relic-Entertainment-EI_IE533032.11,30.htm
https://3dnews.ru/585840
4 Aug 2018, 10:48 AM

That's so wrong on so many levels. You use assumptions, random websites, the idea that Relic isn't standing on the shoulders of Sega, that there haven't been any other investors, random other stuff, ongoing behind-the-curtains-developments, and many other factors that you just ignore or don't even know about.

This thread is just rumourous scaremongering - bar on the level of plants being sprayed with Dihydrogen Monoxide. Even the thread title is clickbait.

:loco:
4 Aug 2018, 10:52 AM

That's so wrong on so many levels. You use assumptions, random websites, the idea that Relic isn't standing on the shoulders of Sega, that there haven't been any other investors, random other stuff, and many other factors that you just ignore or don't even know about.

This thread is just rumourous scaremongering - bar on the level of plants being sprayed with Dihydrogen Monoxide. Even the thread title is clickbait.

Ok, change title, sorry
Hmm, I don't be able, may moderators change name to, "according to owler relic has extremely low revenque" or something like that?
4 Aug 2018, 11:08 AM

Even if you just look at owler, your rough estimation doesn't make any sense. There are companies on growler which have over 1.000 employees, yet they only have had an estimated revenue of less than 50mio. I think it's just wrong to discuss companies going bankrupt because of some inapt guess. There's loads more behind companies, business and investments.

/edit: What the hell, even my company would have a deficit of a couple of millions and be bankrupt if I applied your logic with just the plain numbers of that website.
4 Aug 2018, 11:15 AM

What the hell is it with these Relic threads all the time?? Too much free time on your hands?
A_E
4 Aug 2018, 12:01 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

According to owler site, relic had Estimated Annual Revenue previous year is only $4.5M, that extremely low, it's lower than all salary of all relic employers, even if we calculate all averaged salary like one employer gets 70k $, if we calculate we will get 70000*205=14,35M $, and get fact that relix working in extreme lession, and in fact their revenque lower than averaged budget of game of AAA-class (18-24 M $). Maybe this is reason of all support problems of relic RTSes?
P.S. I'm afraid very soon relic will be closure:(
Sources:
https://www.owler.com/company/relic
https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Relic-Entertainment-EI_IE533032.11,30.htm
https://3dnews.ru/585840

You have a low level of understanding about how businesses within the computer game industry operate, I would urge you to stop offering people your opinion on this matter.
A_E
4 Aug 2018, 12:04 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Ok, change title, sorry
Hmm, I don't be able, may moderators change name to, "according to owler relic has extremely low revenque" or something like that?

I have edited your title.
4 Aug 2018, 13:52 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Anyone knowledgeable on the business side of developing? I was under the impression a studio owned by a publisher was being bankrolled by them, and couldn't go bankrupt by itself. There's no way Microsoft would allow Relic to go bankrupt while invested in one of their major IPs.
4 Aug 2018, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2018, 13:52 PMTobis
Anyone knowledgeable on the business side of developing? I was under the impression a studio owned by a publisher was being bankrolled by them, and couldn't go bankrupt by itself. There's no way Microsoft would allow Relic to go bankrupt while invested in one of their major IPs.

Relic cut support for DoW3 after announcing AoE4 right? Maybe Microsoft took a big step backwards and actually thought about pulling out, I mean since they're the guys paying they could pull the plug on something in an instant, probably.

And keep in mind that Relic are still "owned" by SEGA, they're basically an auxiliary development team to fill in for Ensemble Studios, which makes sense given that CA known for Total War were called in, again from SEGA, by Microsoft to fill in again for ES for Halo Wars.

If we look from the logical side of things Microsoft has made their money and keep making it from Windows, Xbox and Age of Empires so they don't actually need dedicated gaming developers, they just hire outside ones, the guys still supporting Age of Empires 2: HD as well as the other remakes are an outsourced team that were a bunch of modders a few years ago.

If they see things going south they just cut ties with them and wash their hands clean while SEGA isn't in the same position.
13 Sep 2018, 04:44 AM

That's so wrong on so many levels. You use assumptions, random websites, the idea that Relic isn't standing on the shoulders of Sega, that there haven't been any other investors, random other stuff, ongoing behind-the-curtains-developments, and many other factors that you just ignore or don't even know about.

Uh-oh. We have that dihydrogen monoxide problem here in the Pacific Northwest. Don't they know that it can even kill people if exposed to too much of it?

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
13 Sep 2018, 05:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2018, 12:01 PMA_E

You have a low level of understanding about how businesses within the computer game industry operate.

And you good sir, have a low level of emotional intelligence by threating people like this.
Always nice to hit the forum once in a while and look up some good ol’ AE comments.
13 Sep 2018, 06:52 AM

I'm not sure if this thread is worth being necro'ed out of its depth just to have more rumors spread. I still stand with my first post.
13 Sep 2018, 11:53 AM

So what happened to Valeran? Made a lot of trigger posts and where is he now?
14 Sep 2018, 04:57 AM

So what happened to Valeran? Made a lot of trigger posts and where is he now?

I'm here, I'm just sit and wait, also cross fingers for relic for not to fk up commander revamp patch and new commanders like they did with dow 3 and last coh 2 patches.
14 Sep 2018, 15:38 PM

I don't know much about gaming developers but I would assume their revenue is cyclical. What that means is they have significantly higher revenue streams in a year where they release a game. Similar to maybe a business that only operates in summer months.

Either way, accountants can find ways of moving money around for tax purposes so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Stop being so cynical, we can criticize relic but should hope they succeed, considering so many of us here enjoy their games.

14 Sep 2018, 18:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2018, 15:38 PMGdot
I don't know much about gaming developers but I would assume their revenue is cyclical. What that means is they have significantly higher revenue streams in a year where they release a game. Similar to maybe a business that only operates in summer months.

Either way, accountants can find ways of moving money around for tax purposes so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Stop being so cynical, we can criticize relic but should hope they succeed, considering so many of us here enjoy their games.

Well said.
I even visited them this summer with my wife (who plays COH2)
Now we both sport Relic COH2 Tshirts <444>3
17 Sep 2018, 18:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2018, 15:38 PMGdot

I'm agree with you opinion, I'm still ready support relic, even after some shit that happens, but anyway I don't think I ever buy AOE IV by reason that in my opinion is that communication of the game looks like complete disaster and very likely kill interest for the game for very many player and more possible make it doa, but I'm ready buy coh 3 and support them in future with other titles if they learn things from dow 3 (in terms of how to not change already working formula) and aoe IV (in terms of level of communication and interaction), but only after taste close/open beta. Also I'm clearely ready buy actual new content for coh 2 (not skins), if they bring us new dlcs.
18 Sep 2018, 03:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2018, 12:04 PMA_E

I have edited your title.

Not "altered"

One job man
18 Sep 2018, 17:21 PM

Relic is a subsidiary of Sega and wouldn't close unless Sega decided to close it, which is highly unlikely. Even if Sega were decide to get rid of Relic, they would most likely put it up for sale. I haven't seen any release of financial data for the subsidiaries of Sega so this whole thread is nothing more than click-bait.

PS - Financials for PC gaming development are almost always cyclical. Nintendo is much less cyclical but that is most likely because their revenue comes from consoles that have many titles and shorter development times.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★