Login

russian armor

Suggestion: Bring back Volksgrenadiers!

15 Sep 2013, 04:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2013, 02:45 AMhubewa

Yeah, tbh, AWM for infantry... feels really silly IMO.

Tbh, I've seen this suggested before and it's not a terrible idea, but as the Germans, would you really want to spend your munis on a volks squad? When I play Ost, I always feel like it's munis or fuels I'm missing.

I agree that it's silly
15 Sep 2013, 05:07 AM

hmm i will just use pios to crew weapons 200 mp is cheap enough and usually i keep 2 pios anyway. if one dies just call in another they are cheap anyway
15 Sep 2013, 08:23 AM

Why don't we use the old vCOH Whermacht infantry buildup?
T1=Osttruppen or Volksgrenadiers
T2=Grens
T3 or T4=Pgrens

We get Osttruppens at T1. (They defeat conscripts at long range but lose at short range and they fight better in cover, can use panzerfaust and maybe can upgrade to get Mp40s).

Grens come at T2 to fight alongside with the light vehicles. (They would cost +20,40 more manpower and could be upgraded with Mg42 or Panzerchrecks, can also use rifle grenade).

Pgrens would be similar to vCOH Knight Cross Holders.
15 Sep 2013, 09:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 23:46 PMEnkidu

Perhaps I don't understand your point Barton. Are you suggesting that if Osttruppen/volks were availible from the T1 building no one would build grens?

jeez man... I'm just saying, volks/ost in T1 is totally bullshiet idea because GRENADIERS WERE MAIN INFANTRY FORCE ON EASTERN FRONT
15 Sep 2013, 14:34 PM

jeez man... I'm just saying, volks/ost in T1 is totally bullshiet idea because GRENADIERS WERE MAIN INFANTRY FORCE ON EASTERN FRONT

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I think that grens still would be the main army, even if ost/volks were also available in t1. It would be like pios. Pioneer detachments didn't form the entire fighting force on the east front and yet we occasionally see pio spam into t2 without a single grenadier being built. It doesn't mean we should take pios out of the game, it just means it's up to the player to choose what kind of fighting force he wants as this game is only inspired by history and not 100% historically accurate.

I still think the majority of the time, you would still see mostly grens being built with only perhaps a volks here or there to recrew a gun or soak sniper fire or if they're going for a build in which they want to save munitions to spam arty or... Who knows what crazy reason why! The point is, they would be there as an option.

Also, how can our half-tracks smell like volksgrenadiers if we don't have volksgrenadiers?! It's a shame.
15 Sep 2013, 17:10 PM

Why don't you just crew the weapon and hit retreat,then reinforce...that's what I do when I can't call another Conscript squad
16 Sep 2013, 02:13 AM

Why don't you just crew the weapon and hit retreat,then reinforce...that's what I do when I can't call another Conscript squad

his point is when a german squad run pass a abandon team weapon, most time it already lose a man at least and he either can't crew the weapon or if he crew the weapon he lost the entire squad and vet to get a weapon team. it happen a lot when i play german, but when i play russian usually it is not prob because even i lose a man or 2 in middle i still have 4-5 guys
16 Sep 2013, 09:29 AM

I don't see the point in introducing a weaker infantry unit at the same cost as a grenadier. But ofc. the suggestion points to the fact that grenadiers may currently be underpriced. So if grenadier Price is increased, a cheaper alternative should be made available.

At a different note, I think some of you guys are talking about different units.

Volksgrenadiere saw action from 1944 and could be included.

Volkssturm, otoh, didn't see action outside german territory and were more like militias.
16 Sep 2013, 12:42 PM

Possible solution without adding volks:

Make Grens 5 man squads with 300 MP cost.
16 Sep 2013, 12:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2013, 12:42 PMhubewa
Possible solution without adding volks:

Make Grens 5 man squads with 300 MP cost.

That would be an overkill
16 Sep 2013, 15:18 PM

no, reason? Volks weren't main Ostheer infantry forces (maybe only in 1945)

Already start speaking back in COH1, Volksgrenadiers =/= Volkssturm
21 Sep 2013, 14:58 PM

I think that Grens are fine for T1 :).

Also Volksgrenadiers where rather equivalent of US national guard, ie. not really regular infantry and also didn't appear at eastern front.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★