Login

russian armor

Teaching Friend to play the game - Need Help

21 Jun 2018, 20:26 PM

Hi Guys

So my friend recently picked up the game after watching me streaming it and has been playing with me in 2v2 mainly. Ive hit him with the basics like cover , the simple counter triangle and building and its all gone in well.

But I am beginning to see a problem and I just cant for the life of me persuade him otherwise ;

Whenever he gets comfortable at a VP , he digs in and refuses to move , and ends up getting in directed to death as per. I think this might be common for newbies but thats the main issue really. Similarly he is really defensive with his tanks , and will reverse away as soon as they take one hit or so , whether it be a non snaring faust or a glancing AT gun shot , he bails outta there.

The other issue is hugeeee resource floating , we are talking 500+ fuel when we really need those T34/85's out aha.

If anybody could provide some more tips and hints I can pass onto him that would be great , as well as why digging in at the first opportunity is not *always* a good idea. :)

Cheers folks

21 Jun 2018, 21:48 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

If you post a Replay, I am sure somebody can help you.

Moving to Strategy desk

21 Jun 2018, 22:30 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Just reinforce what needs to be done ingame. If he's camping a point, tell him to move up and set up a farther camp. If you need t34/85s, ask him if he's floating and can build something of value.

Don't persuade, direct.

Educate him about pushing your advantage and engine damage critical percentages. For light, 1 snare = engine damage. Mediums = 2 is a good rule of thumb, and for heavies 3 usually. That may give him some reassurance if he has a medium tank and is being scared away at full HP from a single snare.
22 Jun 2018, 13:13 PM

Snip

If fighting sov (penals) tell him that satchels dont follow that rule and will ruin your day :p
22 Jun 2018, 14:48 PM
Strategist Badge

Sometimes people get scared of losing, both units or the game as a whole. If he cant get out of the mindset of taking no or minimal risks, maybe competitive gaming isn't for him?

Try and get him into a 1v1 against yourself, or others actually. That is the best way to learn as the mistakes and successes are the individuals alone.

One possible line of reasoning could go like this:

The longer a game goes on, and the more resources you let your opponent hold increases the likelihood that you will lose, as any earlier mistakes become less impactful the longer the game goes on and the more chances your opponent has to turn the game around.
22 Jun 2018, 15:33 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

If fighting sov (penals) tell him that satchels dont follow that rule and will ruin your day :p

Oh yeah that too :lol:
22 Jun 2018, 17:13 PM

Similarly he is really defensive with his tanks , and will reverse away as soon as they take one hit or so , whether it be a non snaring faust or a glancing AT gun shot , he bails outta there.

This sounds smart to me. Tell him to run infantry in front of his tanks to sight for them. This way other tanks and possibly AT guns will target the infantry first allowing your tank to get some shots off before retreating.

But pulling up taking a shot and repairing is a good way to gain vet and not lose the tank? You do not bleed any manpower. But you do not advance much either. And the enemy may guess where you are repairing and arty you hard. Or push you since they know your tank is weak and leaving the area.

If he is a defensive player maybe he should defend both his point and your point while you go offensive. He should also build mortar and arty out the ass. In a 2v2 you usually want just two points. Trying to get the 3rd means you are spread out and you will get 2v1'ed and run over.
15 Aug 2018, 16:34 PM

I have this exact problem with a friend I am trying to break into it. I started to give him some hardcore stats on units and how the game flows. Tell him things like

1) At the 8 minute mark if they have a fuel the whole game, we'll need to have some AT, it'll make him want to push more and keep them off the fuel. (8minute mark notorious for light vehicles)

2) Tell him how engagements work, that if you play allies you want mid to close range, if you're axis you prefer long range.

3) Tell him some fun strategies, like how Penals work and how progression works. My friend is a very defensive player, he's a turtle and did the same thing in SC2. But the moment I showed him how to use Penals, the joys of satchels and aggressive scout car play? He's in love with it because of all the raw carnage he can sew!

4) Be direct, he's a noob. He has no idea what he's really doing. Offer advice, take him from your game to play his game. By that I mean, if he's soviets , tier 4, and he doesnt have an su85 out and you have little AT? Tell him, hey man, Su85 please. They'll often do it. Some people just need to be told how to play until they see it all in action.

another thing that would help would be to 1v1 him, or fine some 2v2 customs. I found some friends who are in a similiar boat, so me and the other skilled player fight, and the 2 noobs fight. We give them advice...

I say 1v1 because, while you may crush him. Don't play super hard, and give advice. COH2 1v1 is very forgiving where as the more players you add to the game the harder it can be to notice things. Seeing 1 riflemen fight 1 grenadier really gives him a gauge on how well his units do. But when its just a riflemen blob vs a gren blob it can be difficult to draw conclusions like.. Grens prefer long rnage, Riflemen mid to close, LMG cant be fired on the move,etc.... Often in higher games its too much..

But I also sit in 2v2 the most myself.

Hope this helped.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight