Login

russian armor

Winter or Spring Maps [Developer]

raw
11 Sep 2013, 09:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2013, 06:29 AMsimonp2
Summer maps please. The winter effects are nice but the deep snow especially slows down the action too much and should be used very sparingly.

Well, that's kinda the point, isn't it? :p Maybe heavy snow would be better if it worked more like hedges, except that you can cross it (with penalty). Right now it's always "in the way." Funny that noone thinks about it this way when they see hedges and stuff blocking their movement. Guess it is more natural.
11 Sep 2013, 09:24 AM
Donator 11

I would like every new map to have both (summer/winter) versions. The only thing that I hate about winter maps is heavy snow. I have no problems with blizzards/ice. In fact I like winter semois much better than spring/summer one.
11 Sep 2013, 10:26 AM

More winter maps, it's WAY MORE tactical and you can really tell the difference between people who can't utilize the blizzards to the full advantage.

Master the blizzard, master the battlefield. It's like a completely new layer of strategy, and the ice / deep snow really adds more layers.

Summer just dumbs everything down, so I'm not completely a big fan of it. Winter maps are the bomb, just look at how well done winter maps can be done (Rzhev Winter) is a prime example of winter maps done great.

Semois (Winter) is also another good map, it just makes more sense given the general gameplay of CoH2, summer - not so much.
11 Sep 2013, 10:35 AM

More winter maps with less frequent (but longer lasting?) blizzards. If that is even possible. Otherwise I'd suggest to focus more on one of the various aspects of coldtech.

What I mean is that deep snow, ice and blizzards are all great individually but if you add all of them on one map it (imo) becomes frustrating.

Deep snow? Cool! Makes ma think about how to move my infantry on the map.
Ice? Cool! Makes me think about how to move my vehicles across the map.
Blizzard? Cool! Time periods with reduced sight, freezing troops -> different gameplay.

Alltogether? Ah damn way too many restrictions. Move my tanks? Nah, crossing that river is too risky with my reduced sight because of the blizzard. I also cant move my infantry through that deep snow because they will freeze to death. I will just build HMGs, at guns and long range weapons and play a huge stalemate match.
I think that especially blizzards combined with deep snow on important locations slows down the game too much.

Thats just my opinion of course but Ive got the feeling that 1 (2 if its blizzard + ice, or deep snow + ice) coldtech feature for the majority of winter maps while having a few "winter hell maps" with all three combined would make a great map list.
11 Sep 2013, 10:36 AM

More spring maps!

PS. Also some Autumn maps with rain.
11 Sep 2013, 10:51 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Lemme just say that I love the new Semoskiy Winter hybrid. It has my favorite parts of cold-tech; sinking and sliding vehicles on the ice, snow effects on buildings, footprints and tank tracks through the snow. I could see it being a 1v1 competition map. Excellent! :wub: Thank you.

In general, I prefer spring maps. It's mainly because they facilitate faster gameplay. But it's also because they look a helluva lot better on streams.
11 Sep 2013, 11:25 AM

Gentlemen,

do you want more Winter or Spring maps?

By spring you mean the 'non-winter' maps I presume?

Or is it the 'real' eastfront spring: lots of rain, sleed and mudd?

If you mean green, dry maps versus White snowy ones, I prefer the green maps.
11 Sep 2013, 12:19 PM

Both really - both map designs are great

All i ask is a that you turn the penalty for troops in cold down; i.e less DoT

Personally im having a hard time reaching all my units in time; but i guess thats a LTP issue more than anything.
11 Sep 2013, 12:57 PM

is it possible to create winter maps with no blizzard like it is on Semois winter map?
11 Sep 2013, 13:14 PM

Spring!

Deep snow is far too effective and just leads to faction imbalances or increases them (Langres Winter) by making flanking etc. much harder and messing with pathing. I think decreasing its slow-down and maybe slightly increasing its cooling effect would be interesting.

Blizzard: I think the blizzard is a good thing. The problem with it is that it is just endured by players rather than utilized. Houses and watch towers shouldn't negate the blizzard sight changes as much though.

The only bad thing on spring maps is water. Please stop making maps with too many choke points! Having a river on a map means there are already several hard to pass spots that are a huge risk. I know some choke points are good but when you have water on a map you really don't need additional choke points. There always should also be alternative routes (having only one way to assault an area is bad).
11 Sep 2013, 13:47 PM

I personally love the winter maps, but I find the blizzards coming on and off every 5 minutes and the deep snow in common flanking paths incredibly annoying. For that reason I usually prefer the spring maps but I love the ice feature and the risk associated with it. For instance winter Semoisky or however its spelled is probably going to end up being my favorite for the time being.
11 Sep 2013, 13:49 PM

I actually have no strong feelings one way or the other. Depends on how it's used on a map by map basis.
11 Sep 2013, 14:21 PM

I feel Winter Maps give COH2 it's unqiue-ness. If you are making more "summer" maps than Winter maps, you are just making COH1 with russains & Line of Sight.

Winter gives Frozen water, Cold Tech and Deep snow (to name a few). This gives the player more things to worry about (and complain about).
I don't mind the billzards but, they do arrive very often, which can be difficult to make a comeback when your men are freezing and your Line of Sight is reduced.I dislike the non-blizzard in Semoiski, for my reasons above.

Therefore, Make blizzards happen at least once a game but, not 5+ in 1 game.

TLDR; Make blizzards less frequent/I like maps with both Winter&Summer versions.
11 Sep 2013, 15:19 PM

more winters less storms.
11 Sep 2013, 15:49 PM

i prefer non-winter maps at present (they are fast paced, and look beautiful)

my issues with winter maps (as they are at present)
too much deep snow (really slows down gameplay)
blizzards occur all too often (slows down gameplay)
blizzards need to be random for how long they last
need a random amount of time in between blizzards

i would love to be able to purchase SNOW SHOES for infantry, to counter deep snow. could make some cool snow flanking.

what i like about winter maps:
ice/rivers (so cool to watch vehicles sliding all over the place)
the added tension with less visibility
11 Sep 2013, 15:59 PM
Donator 11

- I would like to see maps with specials points like Pripyat. (Observation Tower, repair centers)

- I'd prefer to see more spring maps but I wouldn't mind winter if no or reduced blizzards.

- I'd like to see a a winter/blizzard map where ice lake area would have to be crossed or would see more battle, I want to see infantry and tanks drown, it's a great feature that's not really used in 1v1s.

- For Winter/Blizzard map, would be nice to see a special point where you could reinforce your army and provided heat all around that point not just by the fire pits.

- Add Angoville, Rails & Metal :D
11 Sep 2013, 16:06 PM

now spring maps.
and around christmas winter maps :P
11 Sep 2013, 16:35 PM

Oh yeah, while you're at it: for x-mas add reindeer to the winter maps! And a christmas tree in front of the Smoisisky church!
11 Sep 2013, 16:39 PM

reminds me of the cod 4 christmas map when the airstrikes you called in were dropped of by santa himself
11 Sep 2013, 17:24 PM

Make more night maps, the lighting actually looks nice.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★