Login

russian armor

soviet beta barbed wire back?

6 Sep 2013, 13:36 PM

am i the only one who thinks the barbed wire in the closed beta for the soviets was a really nice feature. i really see a lot of potential in it and could really work well if placed around vital points on the map, but again, am i the only one thinking this?

for the people that have not played the closed beta: the soviet barbed wire field was a field of barbed wire(strangely enough) that allowed enemy troops to crawl under, but only crouch, like being supressed. it had rougly the same area coverage as the s-minefield
6 Sep 2013, 14:54 PM

Yes I'd like to see it back too - they needed to fix something with it and Relic mentioned at one point they did intend for it to come back. I think it may have been that retreating squads ended up stuck or crawling in it or something.
6 Sep 2013, 15:28 PM

I don't get it.

Why is it better to have BW that slows the enemy rather than stop him completely?
6 Sep 2013, 16:39 PM

It sort of seemed to be in the same position as the German anti-infantry minefield. Which is to say, interesting but very situational and not a replacement for proper wire.
6 Sep 2013, 16:44 PM

I don't get it.

Why is it better to have BW that slows the enemy rather than stop him completely?

Lying prone slowly crawling through a wire field....hmmm what could go wrong?
6 Sep 2013, 16:50 PM
Donator 11

I don't get it.

if they are stuck under the wire, they are a lot easier to kill and also easier to crush with a tank.
6 Sep 2013, 17:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2013, 16:50 PMZ3r07

if they are stuck under the wire, they are a lot easier to kill and also easier to crush with a tank.

The point is that it takes you more time to set them up than the time for the opponent to crawl through.
6 Sep 2013, 18:11 PM

The beta wire was actually very very good when placed correctly. It built very fast. If you build it anywhere near the opponent's base, it becomes very annoying for them to move around.
6 Sep 2013, 20:42 PM

i personally thought the wire field was really good at slowing down your enemy, as well making them an easy target for a mortar a few metres behind the wire, or even a maxim to ddo the damage while the enemy cant really do anything back, which made it a lot harder to capture strategic points, and like Z3r07 said: it makes them easy targets for tank crushing( off topic: the crush ability should IMO be a litlle more common, as for now the only real time you can crush inf is when they use hit the dirt)
6 Sep 2013, 20:43 PM

It sort of seemed to be in the same position as the German anti-infantry minefield. Which is to say, interesting but very situational and not a replacement for proper wire.

i personally use the s-minefield quite a lot to deny lone squads from getting to my important poitns, and most of the time they really do a good job at being, well, mines!
6 Sep 2013, 20:56 PM
Patrion 14

Also miss that wire and really wish it comes back into the game, however, I think it should be a complement to the standard wire. It certainly has great uses ingame. Wire + maxim :D I like how it adds options and nifty killzones.
6 Sep 2013, 22:14 PM

I sort of suspected that the real reason why some preferred it, was exactly that the unit AI would probably lure a lot more units into their sure death in unobserved wired areas.

I.e. players with less micro would pay a much higher toll.

If that's what it is, then I don't think it'sa very fair suggestion.
6 Sep 2013, 22:32 PM

I sort of suspected that the real reason why some preferred it, was exactly that the unit AI would probably lure a lot more units into their sure death in unobserved wired areas.

I.e. players with less micro would pay a much higher toll.

If that's what it is, then I don't think it'sa very fair suggestion.

because not having good micro means you're not a very good player, it means that the barbed wire is unfair for people that are not as good in this game? that doesn't really make sense in my head. having a good micro is what splits the good players from the bad, in the really gg's, the micro is one of the most important things. a barbed wire field can easily be destroyed by just a halftrack driving over it with its tracks, thats doesn't require a lot of micro to, doesn't it? most of situations in coh2 will result in players with a lesser micro paying a lot higher price than players with an excellent micro.

but back on topic: for me, its not about the AI running into my barbed wire, for me its mostly because i thought it brought some diversity in kinds of defensive structures. in vcoh, the BW was exaclty the same, resulting in zero different strats between the factions by means of BW. with this new kind of wire, different strats would be actually possible.
6 Sep 2013, 23:35 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I say bring the Russian wire back when they have fixed the issues with it but this time let both sides use it. Also while they are at it give the Germans the Russian mine and the Russians the ability to lay a field of anti infantry-mines like the Germans currently have.
8 Sep 2013, 09:04 AM

SO, you want the old wire back to hinder new players from moving around the map? You already said that good players will crush it with a halftrack. Halftrack is one of the earlies vehicles to come out... I really can not see the point of the beta wire coming back. Even the one implemented now is pretty much useless in a good game. I only experience players utilizing wire on pripyat, and it usually fails from the start because the set up time is too long...
8 Sep 2013, 09:30 AM

SO, you want the old wire back to hinder new players from moving around the map? You already said that good players will crush it with a halftrack. Halftrack is one of the earlies vehicles to come out... I really can not see the point of the beta wire coming back. Even the one implemented now is pretty much useless in a good game. I only experience players utilizing wire on pripyat, and it usually fails from the start because the set up time is too long...

because only GOOD players think about utilizing the halftrack for this kind of use. average players and newbs will forget this ability and most likely ignore the halftrack to save fuel for a tank, and in that case, the barbed wire field will stay in game a lot longer, and hinder the enemy a lot longer. i do aggree with your point about the way to long set-up time for the wire...
8 Sep 2013, 09:44 AM
Patrion 14

I really can not see the point of the beta wire coming back. Even the one implemented now is pretty much useless in a good game. I only experience players utilizing wire on pripyat, and it usually fails from the start because the set up time is too long...

Actualy think this is quite sad. Wire was a great part of CoH1. Reducing buildtimes and re-introducing beta wire I think could add viability to wire. Yes, you can destroy wire fast with vehicles, but then again, you cannot run vehicles all over the map all the time. Bring more wire back. Since you can usually vault over fences requires for smarter wireplay as well.

8 Sep 2013, 10:01 AM

because only GOOD players think about utilizing the halftrack for this kind of use.

Completely not true. Rushing for half track or scout car is the first thing any noob playing german is doing.

Apart from that, I don't find the present wire unusable, as someone said. By far not. It is very useable in the early game and - interestingly - also in the late game where VP panic spreads.

I really don't see any good reason to change wire.

Creating more equal opportunities for both sides when it comes to building defensive options, however, is a different matter, and one I think should be looked into.
8 Sep 2013, 12:07 PM

Actualy think this is quite sad. Wire was a great part of CoH1.

I share your oppinion on this, but I think the gameplay of CoH2 is intended to be different, hence the lack of tank traps and so on...

For the most part, I liked the value of sandbags and wire in CoH1. There was nothing wrong with it. Of course, some players "over utilized" it, but it was a fun aspect of the game when needed.

Maps in CoH2 are very open, and vaulting makes the gameplay very different. You can't just use wire/ sandbags and connect it with walls and fences to blcok your opponent. I think this is great! So why not reintroduce the old system back in CoH2? It's up to Relic's vision, I guess...

Also, about vehicles not being everywhere, I disagree. I need infantry to support my vehicles, so there is usually always a vehicle around to crush stuff. If not, props to the opponent for denying me access to certain parts of the field!
21 Sep 2013, 16:23 PM

I liked wire fields (but not instead classic wire) and I would like to had more possible choices (slowing down enemy units instead blocking) for sappers (CE,pios), also wire fields would be great if light vehicles could drive over them without crushing it :).

Wire field placed on enemy retreat path would be devastating.

German minefields would be great as well If you could put fake minefield signs to tease opponent, Yet i think that S-mines would be much more useful as separate tile (instead 4 of them).

Sappers sandbags or trenches(similar to shell craters, not British-style trenches) would be great addition to infantry warfare, for now infantry is often very exposed in late game and being able to dig in would be very useful.

EDIT_1:

I don't think that tank traps are necessary, they was mostly used to block choke points anyway
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★