Login

russian armor

IS-2 a viable option?

28 Aug 2013, 21:00 PM

I just played a game to try out the IS-2. It didn't seem to handle panthers 1v1 very well nor is it fast enough to kill smaller vehicles and infantry. Any tips? Is it worth the fuel? It seems veeeery expensive for how it performs. But I could just suck with it.
28 Aug 2013, 21:06 PM

Short answer nope. IS2 will lose to a panther 1v1. And its so expensive, if you can get it. You have already won.
28 Aug 2013, 21:18 PM

remove the fuel cost from all call-in tanks like in vCoh
28 Aug 2013, 21:54 PM

Why would it win versus a Panther anyways? The Panther is a dedicated anti tank vehicle. The IS-2 is a breakthrough tank that tears through infantry if used well.

The IS-2 in Coh2 has insane rate of fire compared to the real vehicle, which could shoot 2-3 times a minute. Make use of that and get those HE rounds to the enemies´ infantry.

As for being a viable option: I think the role of the IS-2 is already filled by the KV-8 though and this vehicle is even better and in the same doctrine. So the way too expensive IS-2 doesn´t seem like the best option. The price definately needs to go down. Maybe even its AT capabilities could be buffed a little bit. But no way in hell that thing should win 1v1 versus Panthers. Those already lose to Su-85s 1v1. Why would anybody build Panthers if they also lost versus IS-2s?
28 Aug 2013, 22:05 PM

It's not phenomenal. A really good counter to P-IVs and extremely good against pretty much any infantry because very accurate. Also can shrug off a pfaust headon sometimes now. Occasionally good after a bad start followed by Tier 3 + AT gun creep, where you don't really have another good AV vehicle available.
29 Aug 2013, 05:13 AM

Why do u need spent 300 fuel for a tank which is to weak for his costs, if u can get 2-3 su-85 which will be the ultimate AT against everything! (they would kill infantry , not so fast like is-2, but they could kill them :) )
29 Aug 2013, 07:03 AM

Why do u need spent 300 fuel for a tank which is to weak for his costs, if u can get 2-3 su-85 which will be the ultimate AT against everything! (they would kill infantry , not so fast like is-2, but they could kill them :) )

Exactly, so I don't get the point of it.
29 Aug 2013, 09:22 AM

All call in tanks are relatively cost-inefficient because they don't require teching. The savings in tech must be factored into the cost of the call-in. The most efficient use of them involves staying on T1-T2.
29 Aug 2013, 10:37 AM

The IS-2 absolutely wrecks infantry and has a huge amount of health, but it won't kill tanks very well. If you have armour problems get 2 SU-85's.

A lot of people won't believe me but I've found the IS-2 effective in both 1v1 and 2v2 in various circumstance. That said it probably does need a buff/fuel cost decrease.
30 Aug 2013, 00:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2013, 22:05 PMBlovski
It's not phenomenal. A really good counter to P-IVs and extremely good against pretty much any infantry because very accurate. Also can shrug off a pfaust headon sometimes now. Occasionally good after a bad start followed by Tier 3 + AT gun creep, where you don't really have another good AV vehicle available.

is not so good against p4 it can win. but it will have to retreat.
30 Aug 2013, 01:10 AM

is not so good against p4 it can win. but it will have to retreat.

An IS-2 should flatten a P-IV unless you do something silly with it (like maybe getting circlestrafed with blitzkrieg). Higher penetration, more health and much better armour.
30 Aug 2013, 14:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2013, 01:10 AMBlovski

An IS-2 should flatten a P-IV unless you do something silly with it (like maybe getting circlestrafed with blitzkrieg). Higher penetration, more health and much better armour.

dunno. i have the replays. front to front. it gained vet 2 in the last 2 shots though. i will record it.
30 Aug 2013, 18:35 PM

The IS-2 and KV8 make perfect partners with the SU-85. The IS-2 has had a recent massive dps boost against infantry. In large tank battles it can be great for your IS-2 to target pioneers trying to repair, paks, and other infantry, you can often wipe out 2-3+ stacked squads in a single shot from the IS-2, its super accurate for its size. The KV8 probably deals more raw damage against infantry, but if panthers try to flank the su-85s the IS2 can get some really nice rear shots on panthers and that will wreak them. But by itself it's a POS.
30 Aug 2013, 21:47 PM

IS-2 is a waste of resources as it is now,if you want anti-infantry tank go with KV-8 or better make 4 T-34's...or SU-85's(if anti-tank needed).
IS-2 get's beaten by:2 Panzers or by 2 Stugs(had this game when IS turret rotated slower than the Stug)...Panthers(which costs half!,HALF!!) and Tigers take them out individually,which makes it useless...

31 Aug 2013, 00:26 AM

IS-2 get's beaten by:2 Panzers or by 2 Stugs(had this game when IS turret rotated slower than the Stug)...Panthers(which costs half!,HALF!!) and Tigers take them out individually,which makes it useless...

Yeah, I think heavier tanks (IS-2, Panther) should be almost impenetrable from the front to regular caliber guns (75mm, 85mm). I don´t see any sense in building the Panther also as 2 Panzer IVs (while being only marginally more expensive together - especially without the teching cost) will outperform a Panther any day, even versus heavy tanks. No need at all to build a Panther.

Right now I can drive circles around the IS-2 with my P4s not fearing it at all. Vet2 P4s can even slug it out with the IS-2 frontally.
2 Sep 2013, 00:47 AM

2 Sep 2013, 02:35 AM

Damn that thing wrecks infantry better than I thought.
Hux
2 Sep 2013, 12:45 PM
Patrion 14

I've personally not seen a lot of IS2s used against me.. but in that video it does seem to have a ridiculously hard time taking down that P IV. Whether that was just the RNG fannying around or not I don't know. If it isn't then the IS2 has been severely overstated in the bulletins.

I think the IS2 should be able to change its role by way of an 'upgun' style upgrade. If the IS2 were to be called to the battle with the default A19 gun (using HE ammunition making it useful for taking out buildings and infantry) it could then be upgraded for a sizeable munitions investment and given the BS-3 main gun, effectively making it more of a heavy tank killer but negating it's anti-infantry abilities.

I think this would allow the IS2 to be a bigger factor a lot more in the later stages of games because of it's versatility.
2 Sep 2013, 20:35 PM

i often have to deal with kv8's and an IS2 in 1v1 i actually hate fighting that doctrin...but yes the is2 smashes infantry....on a few occasions it has two shotted my pgren shreck teams which is highly annoying its not bad vs armour but ive ive taken it out with 2 p4's with ease and tigers can do well vs them if they flank....the IS2 is quite slow....i never play as soviets but i can tell u they can be a big threat if micro'd well...ive also watched a replay of top players where in a 1v1 game an IS2 takes out 2 elephants...also with so much health it can take a punishing which makes its survivability pretty good.
3 Sep 2013, 17:29 PM

Imagine if that PIV had an engine. The IS-2 would be smoked!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 45
South Africa 4
Germany 718

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak