Login

russian armor

COH HD?

29 Aug 2013, 22:37 PM

You always amuse me with your half knowledge. It's ok that you don't like it. There's always a small half blind minority with bad eyes and no clue.
1. coh2 isn't even mod able - Your first mistake
2. splats have the same limitations, - your second mistake
3. show me a relevant splines folder in corsix - your third mistake
4. If you don't like the ground textures, you can still use the rest - your forth mistake
5. "ground textures aren't almost irrelevant" - they are the biggest part you see from the game - fifth mistake
6. I reworked a lot of splats - sixth mistake
7. ground textures don't overwrite splats, because splats lie above ground texture...
8. I bet you haven't even looked at the current version.
9. It's really funny, that you expect 1 man working in his leisure doing everything perfect what like 50 developers did in 3 years, while you never did anything.

So a lot of wrongs and bullshit from you, again.

Just show me some 1080p screens from your awesome looking coh, to back things up for once as it's a lot better than mine.
Some closeups, some nature, some general screens from you.

oh and finally 6000+ downloads coh-hq not counting other hosters, say otherwise.
30 Aug 2013, 07:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You always amuse me with your half knowledge. It's ok that you don't like it. There's always a small half blind minority with bad eyes and no clue.
1. coh2 isn't even mod able - Your first mistake
2. splats have the same limitations, - your second mistake
3. show me a relevant splines folder in corsix - your third mistake
4. If you don't like the ground textures, you can still use the rest - your forth mistake
5. "ground textures aren't almost irrelevant" - they are the biggest part you see from the game - fifth mistake
6. I reworked a lot of splats - sixth mistake
7. ground textures don't overwrite splats, because splats lie above ground texture...
8. I bet you haven't even looked at the current version.
9. It's really funny, that you expect 1 man working in his leisure doing everything perfect what like 50 developers did in 3 years, while you never did anything.

So a lot of wrongs and bullshit from you, again.

Just show me some 1080p screens from your awesome looking coh, to back things up for once as it's a lot better than mine.
Some closeups, some nature, some general screens from you.

oh and finally 6000+ downloads coh-hq not counting other hosters, say otherwise.

1. I was refering to your CoH1 mod, not CoH2. CoH2 will be modable in the future anyway

2. It is not a question of limitation of splats and splines, but a question of the system. Because as you correctly stated in point 7., splats and splines lie on top of ground textures and are meant for the definition of a map. Exactly due to this reason you're wrong in point 5. You don't make ground textures dominant, but just use them to define the tone and general character. It's like putting a real splat on a graffiti, you will hardly notice it, but you will notice it on a plain background.

3. I can't tell you out of the top of my head and don't have CoH1 installed right now. But we edited and added splines in CoH: Modern Combat, so it's definitely possible. I can't tell you though, if it is possible without breaking vanilla multiplayer compatibility.

6. You reworked splats? Fair point. Maybe i didn't notice them because they were on top of your dominant ground textures.

8. I admit i didn't, because i don't have CoH1 installed right now. I took your screenshots in your thread as a reference for the newest version. But i guess ground textures still work the same?

9. I don't expect you to do the work. Like i pointed out earlier, i think the developers did a great job already. There must be a reason that so many people referred to CoH1 as the most beautiful looking RTS game even many years after its release.

... while you never did anything ...

It's quite funny that you say that i never did anything. I didn't do a pure graphics mod, yes, but i created a good bunch of new maps for CoH1. Some of them have won Relic competitions and are even featured as retail maps by now. Duclair and Bois du Chatelet are the most promient ones. So, i think i know how the system works.

Further, i was the leader of the CoH: Modern Combat mod for many years, until 1/2 year after we released it. In particular i also lead the 2D art section and did a good bunch of it. CoH: Modern Combat has 500000+ downloads by now and got a silver medal in the mod of the year awards.

Whatever, i am out of here ;) Don't want to turn this into a fight. And i admit that taste is different for individuals, so i accept that there are a good bunch of people out there who like your work. Just wanted to point out some things that i interpreted as flaws, so you might improve on it in a future CoH2 mod.
30 Aug 2013, 10:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2013, 20:27 PMInverse
vCoH looks pretty HD to me.

i couldn't help but think this too the entire time ^^

yeah, i'd probably dump some more money into vcoh if that would make it better, but since relic announced that they were trying to fix vcoh at some point, why not wait for that before asking relic to put money into something (a new release also costs a lot of money), just so you can throw money back at them.
30 Aug 2013, 13:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

i don't even know how to respond (to this thread) its so emotionally charged that logic doesn't seem to exist.
30 Aug 2013, 13:57 PM

@ Noun -

First of all thanks for the involvement here. 2nd, loved hearing that SEGA has a long term outlook. A young company like THQ that hits it out of the park on the first try starts to think that that is the only model, when in fact it is a low probability way to do business.

A different question - what is the percentage of people who buy the game and then try playing online either co-op comp-stomps or vs. other players? In theory you must have some access to these stats from the game-keys. Do 95% just play campaign and move on?
3 Sep 2013, 08:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2013, 17:40 PMNoun

While an HD version of vCoH is not a bad idea, we're working on improving the Steam experience for free which I think most people would prefer to a paid game. Yes you guys might be okay with dropping more money, but the average person (as with CoHO) would just look at it and say "Well the old one works fine so what's the point?"

Sounds great to hear that steam version of CoH is on it's way to get the fixes it needs !
But would it not be tempting to add new functions in yet another expansion ? surly there must be enough players to make it worthwhile, call it "HD" didnt sound bad at all :)

5 Sep 2013, 14:26 PM

COH HD :D

That's actually quite a brilliant idea to be fucking honest. Add this guy to your marketing programm.

It's true though, fix coh servers, fix glaring balance issues. And you get the greatest potential out of the best rts ever. Which Coh1 player wouldn't buy Coh HD?

(Btw I think COH2 is a big piece of junk .. sorry boys. just that you haven't changed the UI makes me puke and not buy the game. Good job on Semois and Langres though, I've had nostalgia seeing those maps on a stream once.)
5 Sep 2013, 19:38 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2013, 20:32 PMNoun

SEGA seems much more interested in the "long tail" approach to business than THQ which for as long as I worked for them were all about hitting home runs at their first trip to the plate.

This little tidbit of information is perhaps the most heartening thing I've read on CoH2.org.
6 Sep 2013, 02:20 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

COH1 still looks better than COH2 imo. COH1 looks more realistic to me while COH2 looks cartoony.
6 Sep 2013, 08:59 AM

Coh1 with HD graphics, fixed servers (no lag!), hack fix, balance patch (rework the brits as faction and some PE units too), some improvments from coh2 (the unit bar in the upper right corner and the casting and replay tools) and better mod tools would create a new game i would pay for...at least better to spend money on such a project than on coh2.
6 Sep 2013, 15:22 PM

COH1 still looks better than COH2 imo. COH1 looks more realistic to me while COH2 looks cartoony.

I agree, vCoH already looks good so i feel like an HD version of vCoH is not necessary.
However i would not mind some optimization for dx10, it brings down the performance of the game even when my rig should be able to handle it perfectly with no significant fps drops.
9 Sep 2013, 13:45 PM

Coh1 is actually more cartoony in that you control your units as toys, If you watch purely to the behaviour of units, graphics, physics. You see that COH2 is more realistic.

The problem is though the stupid flashing icons everywhere, individual units having 1000 icons around their icon giving you 'useful information' *cough*, that useless bunch of text in the middle of your screen. When I've watched a couple of games on Semois and Langres, I saw the potential. But then you see all them ugly interface things, and you realize Coh2 is just an ugly wannabe good rts.
9 Sep 2013, 15:16 PM

Pink lila neongreen teamcolours :) is coh2
10 Sep 2013, 05:50 AM

Permanently Banned
Any news when coh 1 gets updated/fixed?
3 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Sep 2013, 07:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2013, 13:57 PMAvNY
@ Noun -

First of all thanks for the involvement here. 2nd, loved hearing that SEGA has a long term outlook. A young company like THQ that hits it out of the park on the first try starts to think that that is the only model, when in fact it is a low probability way to do business.

A different question - what is the percentage of people who buy the game and then try playing online either co-op comp-stomps or vs. other players? In theory you must have some access to these stats from the game-keys. Do 95% just play campaign and move on?

We have those stats but we really don't share them.

Roughly it breaks into 1/4 play the campaign.

1/4 play comp stomps and with friends.

1/4 play multiplayer.

1/4 play everything.

That's pretty rough. Obviously as time goes on those numbers change with less and less people playing the campaign and more of the people playing taking part in comp stomps or multiplayer.

But lots of players do buy the game as a single player experience and nothing else. They're obviously hardly ever on these forums and even rarely on the official ones.

That's why we're trying to keep them around with ToW which we hope extends the single player experience and eases them towards multiplayer.
4 of 4 Relic postsRelic 10 Sep 2013, 07:32 AM

Any news when coh 1 gets updated/fixed?

No news.

I've complied a list of the top 5 most pressing issues and delivered them to Smoking Gun which is the company that did the Steam conversion and who we're working with to address the issues.

Last week we had some back and forth because they didn't understand one of the issues and I had to get some clarification since I haven't played vCoH other than Steam for awhile. Thankfully some people here were able to help out.

It's going, but it's not going to be overnight, so I won't use the "soon".

When I have a firmer deadline, or even a loosish one, I'll update you guys.
10 Sep 2013, 08:45 AM

thx for that Noun!
10 Sep 2013, 09:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2013, 07:32 AMNoun

No news.

I've complied a list of the top 5 most pressing issues and delivered them to Smoking Gun which is the company that did the Steam conversion and who we're working with to address the issues.

Last week we had some back and forth because they didn't understand one of the issues and I had to get some clarification since I haven't played vCoH other than Steam for awhile. Thankfully some people here were able to help out.

It's going, but it's not going to be overnight, so I won't use the "soon".

When I have a firmer deadline, or even a loosish one, I'll update you guys.

Noun that's a great news even without deadline, but can u please tell us which are the 5 most pressing issues that Smoking Gun will work on?
10 Sep 2013, 09:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2013, 07:32 AMNoun

That's great news! Any chance you could let us know what the top 5 issues were that were sent to SG?

edit: also, are these changes likely to be made piecemeal over time, or all implemented at once when they are all ready?
10 Sep 2013, 16:03 PM

One issue was the splitted stats for ranked, lobby and comp stomp.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★