Login

russian armor

mortar team balance

31 Aug 2013, 01:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2013, 10:53 AMNullist
@UGBEAR: Nobody has even mentioned nerfing 82mm in this thread until you did.

someone is complaining about the durability of soviet mortar and only you didn't see it
31 Aug 2013, 01:08 AM

We're talking about the 120mm mortar and how it has an effective 6-man squad instead of 5 plus its additional effectiveness. Nobody is saying anything about 82mm.

This is exactly how all these threads get derailed; either read all of the posts and then reply, or don't reply at all.
31 Aug 2013, 07:59 AM

It's still a extra 120 manpower plus doctrinal. You can't even compare it to the other mortars. It's mirror on the german side is the mortar halftrack, which has extra durability in it's own way, but is kind of hard to compare the two since they work so differently.
31 Aug 2013, 08:13 AM

We're talking about the 120mm mortar and how it has an effective 6-man squad instead of 5 plus its additional effectiveness. Nobody is saying anything about 82mm.

This is exactly how all these threads get derailed; either read all of the posts and then reply, or don't reply at all.

as long as you consider OP is nobody :)
31 Aug 2013, 08:28 AM

I have no idea why some ppl say the 120mm mortar is inaccurate or needs a buff. I think its fine, personally to me its a little OP but whateever, i can deal with it. Its strong, it has precision strike which can wipe out entire german squads and mg teams not to mention AT guns, and its powerful nonetheless.
31 Aug 2013, 09:29 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc#gid=1

Stats updated here.

The 120mmm precision strike is basically unusable at the moment due to its scatter angle.
31 Aug 2013, 11:27 AM

I have no idea why some ppl say the 120mm mortar is inaccurate or needs a buff. I think its fine, personally to me its a little OP but whateever, i can deal with it. Its strong, it has precision strike which can wipe out entire german squads and mg teams not to mention AT guns, and its powerful nonetheless.

Precision is broken after the second last patch.

One thing I did not see mentioned is the fact that the 120mm mortar is easy to destroy by the pnazer 4. I lost 3 of them in 1 game to the same reason panzer 4 destroying the actual mortar instead of killing the crew first.
31 Aug 2013, 12:56 PM

The mortar has two kinds of attack mainly.
One is using Mortar Barrage, and the other is right click enemy directly.
What is the difference?
I want to know about this.

Thank you for reading this post. Please forgive my poor English. ><
31 Aug 2013, 13:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2013, 12:56 PMNIRAer
The mortar has two kinds of attack mainly.
One is using Mortar Barrage, and the other is right click enemy directly.
What is the difference?
I want to know about this.

Thank you for reading this post. Please forgive my poor English. ><

The auto attack fires slower than a barrage, so for attacking stationary enemies and denying areas (e.g. a bridge or certain over) the barrage is better.
You can look up their estimated DPS here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc#gid=1
remember that these DPS values are just an approximation (not completely accurate), the Soviet mortar's barrage is slightly more accurate and the Soviet 120 mm has a much larger explosion radius.
31 Aug 2013, 14:07 PM

Thank you for reply!
I understood these differences.
I will refer to that stats to get more knowledge.
2 Sep 2013, 09:14 AM

It's still a extra 120 manpower plus doctrinal. You can't even compare it to the other mortars. It's mirror on the german side is the mortar halftrack, which has extra durability in it's own way, but is kind of hard to compare the two since they work so differently.

I think you can compare it to other mortars regarding the de-crew mechanic (we are not talking other stats). To take your example the german mortar halftrack has the same chance to be abandoned as any other vehicle. The 120mm should also be de-crewed on the last man like all other mortars (and at-guns).

It just doesnt make sense that one guy can retreat with a huge 120mm mortar but not with the smaller mortars on both sides.
2 Sep 2013, 09:19 AM

What benefits are there in decrewing the 120mm? It's most likely that it'll be quite close to base (due to long range), and recrewing allows them to get lower population/upkeep costs.

The benefit is that you can actually steal it, especially if you have a halftrack nearby to reinforce. Loading up a halftrack with pios+pgrens, going behind the lines and decrewing and then stealing would be a great counter to it, but currently it is too surviveable, since you literally have to kill all 6 guys for this to work. Currently he can even run away with just one man left.

On larger maps you could be able to pull it off since they cant stand in the base while firing. 120mm firing from inside the base hedge on langres is a different problem though..

The effective full 6 man squad is a bit too survivable for a unit with such good other stats. Thats all.
3 Sep 2013, 13:51 PM

I think a big problem on the German Mortar is that the Counterability isnt that good like concentrated shoot (or sth like that). When u have your german mortar and u know the russian one is behind that house u use the Firing ability but u wont hit him or no dmg, i want the good old CoH1 mortars back where u need skill to counter a mortar not luck...

And when u have a Russian 85mm Vet 1 with concentrated shoot u can easily counter all german Mortars or MG´s or ATguns or Grenn´s in Cover.
3 Sep 2013, 21:38 PM

The 120mm was already nerf-nuked beyond belief. It eats up 12 pop, costs 360mp, fires extremely slowly and since its last nerf misses a good 3/4 shots (Unless firing on blobs(Which never happens anyway against semi-decent players)). Its special ability is also broken and its in a pretty crappy doctrine; the minute your enemy sees 120mms, he'll know that you've gone Guards Motor.

Its special ability is fine. Although most players won't pick up enemy mortars, a 120 mm is like a jackpot treasure-trove and i've seen people sacrifice pgren squads in desperation to capture the 120mm. If it required two men to crew, it would be far too easy for the Osteer to capture.
3 Sep 2013, 22:11 PM

What are you people wanting to nerf about the 120mm? Reduce range? It took the stupid thing 4 minutes (yes, 4 minutes) to kill a bunker yesterday. That's stupid. If it can't hit something as big as a bunker, it's obviously not going to be slaughtering your guys. It's doctrinal. It's 360mp. It fires slowly. (And yes, it has a really long range). What more do you want?

If you want to talk about something that's hard/impossible to counter, look no further than the cheese that is the mortar halftrack. I hated that stupid concept in CoH, and I was disappointed when they brought it back here.
3 Sep 2013, 23:28 PM

It's risky to recapture weapons close to enemy base, especially since germans have only 4 man squads even with FHT. I think decrewing is good to remove veterancy and delay their use of it for a while i guess.

I want a damage reduction from area of radius, move to 2CP and survivability nerf (right now it's 1 to 0.25, so change it to 1 to 0.1 since they are linear relationship for aoe dmg).
4 Sep 2013, 08:03 AM

I dont think it needs any other nerfs, just make it so it abandons at 1 man left like the regular mortars.
4 Sep 2013, 08:36 AM

The 120mm is fine as it is. It's in a crappy doctrine, it fires incredibly slowly, its DPS is virtually non-existent considering how often this thing misses and the basis of the unit is RNG.

Apart from the occasional Insta-gib, the 120mm really doesen't pose much of a threat due to its low rate of fire, accuracy and cost (12 ***** pop! Huge drain on your MP income).

This is the only Soviet weapon an Osteer player would sacrifice whole/damaged squads to retrieve. A 120mm in osteer hands would be completely uncounterable with the soviet arsenal. Nothing wrong with one man survivability.
4 Sep 2013, 09:12 AM

What are you people wanting to nerf about the 120mm? Reduce range? It took the stupid thing 4 minutes (yes, 4 minutes) to kill a bunker yesterday. That's stupid. If it can't hit something as big as a bunker, it's obviously not going to be slaughtering your guys. It's doctrinal. It's 360mp. It fires slowly. (And yes, it has a really long range). What more do you want?

If you want to talk about something that's hard/impossible to counter, look no further than the cheese that is the mortar halftrack. I hated that stupid concept in CoH, and I was disappointed when they brought it back here.

What do you mean us people?
4 Sep 2013, 09:32 AM
Benefactor 115

Its strong, it has precision strike which can wipe out entire german squads and mg teams not to mention AT guns, and its powerful nonetheless.

Precision strike is actually bugged and is less accurate than normal barrage
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 27
Germany 804
unknown 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %