Login

russian armor

mortar team balance

4 Sep 2013, 10:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 08:36 AMAlbus
The 120mm is fine as it is. It's in a crappy doctrine, it fires incredibly slowly, its DPS is virtually non-existent considering how often this thing misses and the basis of the unit is RNG.

Apart from the occasional Insta-gib, the 120mm really doesen't pose much of a threat due to its low rate of fire, accuracy and cost (12 ***** pop! Huge drain on your MP income).

This is the only Soviet weapon an Osteer player would sacrifice whole/damaged squads to retrieve. A 120mm in osteer hands would be completely uncounterable with the soviet arsenal. Nothing wrong with one man survivability.

I disagree. If you are careless enough to lose it (taking into consideration its immense range and 6 man team) you deserve to have it stolen.

For those interested, the russian 120mm weighed 280kg. Don't tell me one man can haul that shit away. The smaller 80mm(german) and 82mm(russian) ones weiged 62kg and 56kg's respectively. Still a bit heavy for one man and hence the last guy (correctly) retreats. BTW these weights don't even include shells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1938_mortar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/82-PM-41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_cm_Granatwerfer_34

Realism aside, The 120mm is very useful(a lot of power and range) and i dont think its docrine is crappy at all. It shouldnt be retreatable at one man, that is simply a bug that needs to be fixed. Any german weapon captured by the russians can also turn the tide of the battle so this isn't a factor at all. The bottom line is, dont let your stuff get stolen. A german 80mm mortar has effectively 3 men. A russian 82mm mortar is effectively 5 men. The 120mm should also be effectively 5 men. Its just common sense.

Either all mortars should retreat with one man or all mortars should abandon at one man.
4 Sep 2013, 11:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2013, 13:59 PMEndeav
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc#gid=1

It barrages a hell of a lot faster than you think (fastest barrage speed in game, slowest regular shooting)

Are you sure this is correct?

If you check the mortar abilities, it's using "sync_mortar_barrage_120mm_mp" ability as it's barrage.
In ability file, it says it's using hardpoint number 2 of the weapon.
Back to weapon, hardpoint 2 is "hm_38_120mm_mortar_barrage_mp" weapon which is actually different than what you are using in your spreadsheets (which is "hm_38_120mm_mortar_barrage_slow_mp" and for some reason, despite being "slow" it's faster than normal barrage!) - it has about half the "potential DPS" if that's the case.

You can check the differences here: "slow" barrage and here: normal barrage
4 Sep 2013, 11:37 AM

The big bad mortar is one of the few great things soviets have, and its doctrinal. Germans have to start thinking like we do, if you don't kill it quick, the losses mount exponentially (usually). If we don't take down your tanks one at a time, you just rush our base and done. That is why we hunt your tanks to death.

I understand it is frustrating watching it retreat, however I have seen this last guy get killed upon retreat many times.
4 Sep 2013, 12:10 PM

Permanently Banned
we

Who the fuck is "we"?
4 Sep 2013, 12:22 PM

I understand it is frustrating watching it retreat, however I have seen this last guy get killed upon retreat many times.

The fact that he can even retreat is the problem. Even if he gets away 60% of the time, it is still not balanced that he is even allowed to retreat alone when no other mortars can retreat at one man.

DISCLAIMER: please people read the thread topic, it is about the squad retreating at one man, not about nerfing other stats of the 120mm. People keep whining that the 120mm shouldnt be nerfed. I agree its damage/range need not really be nerfed, it is more about the ability to retreat at one man, and how it is the only mortar with that ability
(which is also, as a side note, completely unrealistic since it weighs 280kg)
4 Sep 2013, 12:47 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Who the fuck is "we"?

Everyone who plays this game, so I can see why you feel weird about it
4 Sep 2013, 12:49 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 12:22 PMMauser

DISCLAIMER: please people read the thread topic, it is about the squad retreating at one man, not about nerfing other stats of the 120mm. People keep whining that the 120mm shouldnt be nerfed. I agree its damage/range need not really be nerfed, it is more about the ability to retreat at one man, and how it is the only mortar with that ability
(which is also, as a side note, completely unrealistic since it weighs 280kg)

This doesn't make any sense, to judge whether a unit is OP you have to take in account all of its sides.
A unit is either OP or not, you can't say "the unit is fine but it's ability is OP".
Does its ability to retreat at one man allow it to kill everything on the screen? No, it doesn't, it just makes it a durable unit, deal with it.
Still, since it's not that deadly the unit is still balanced.
I don't understand why you compare it to other units to prove a point while it doesn't prove anything.
4 Sep 2013, 12:57 PM

What do you mean us people?

Uh, the people asking for a nerf to the mortar... I assumed that was implied.
4 Sep 2013, 13:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 12:49 PMtuvok

This doesn't make any sense, to judge whether a unit is OP you have to take in account all of its sides.
A unit is either OP or not, you can't say "the unit is fine but it's ability is OP".
Does its ability to retreat at one man allow it to kill everything on the screen? No, it doesn't, it just makes it a durable unit, deal with it.
Still, since it's not that deadly the unit is still balanced.
I don't understand why you compare it to other units to prove a point while it doesn't prove anything.

Well i think its surviveability is too high for a unit with that much power and range. So I say, leave the power and range, but it needs to abandon at one man. I would be surprised if relic intended it to be able to retreat at one man, and if they did I would like to know why the other mortars aren't also like that. Was it a conscious decision or is it just a bug, that it doesnt get abandoned?
4 Sep 2013, 13:15 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 13:03 PMMauser

Well i think its surviveability is too high for a unit with that much power and range. So I say, leave the power and range, but it needs to abandon at one man. I would be surprised if relic intended it to be able to retreat at one man, and if they did I would like to know why the other mortars aren't also like that. Was it a conscious decision or is it just a bug, that it doesnt get abandoned?

I guess so...if a soviet unit is not utter bs it must be because of a bug
4 Sep 2013, 14:33 PM

Are you sure this is correct?

If you check the mortar abilities, it's using "sync_mortar_barrage_120mm_mp" ability as it's barrage.
In ability file, it says it's using hardpoint number 2 of the weapon.
Back to weapon, hardpoint 2 is "hm_38_120mm_mortar_barrage_mp" weapon which is actually different than what you are using in your spreadsheets (which is "hm_38_120mm_mortar_barrage_slow_mp" and for some reason, despite being "slow" it's faster than normal barrage!) - it has about half the "potential DPS" if that's the case.

You can check the differences here: "slow" barrage and here: normal barrage

Hm, the mortar stat sheet was done several weeks ago, it very well may be that I opened the wrong file to get the barrage number. The two axis mortars have a 0 reload on barrage, so I probably didn't double check the file I was looking at when I saw 120mm have 0 reload.

Thanks for the catch.
4 Sep 2013, 14:50 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
4 Sep 2013, 15:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 14:33 PMEndeav

Hm, the mortar stat sheet was done several weeks ago, it very well may be that I opened the wrong file to get the barrage number. The two axis mortars have a 0 reload on barrage, so I probably didn't double check the file I was looking at when I saw 120mm have 0 reload.

Thanks for the catch.

You're welcome!

Guess that's the advantage of doing something using scripts rather than doing everything manually ;)
4 Sep 2013, 17:36 PM

It's not a bug it's a difference in animation. If you watch the smaller mortars, there is actually two men who are moving when they fire the mortar. One man loads it and the other fires. When the 120mm fires, its only the one guy who loads it and fires it.
4 Sep 2013, 18:08 PM

To be honest the 120mm running away with 1 man is an animation issue, but it isn't game breaking and the effort to fix it is probably not worth it. It's probably written into the engine.
4 Sep 2013, 18:25 PM

would be easy to just remove an entity then, so its 5 man effectively like the other mortar.
4 Sep 2013, 18:53 PM

In fact, I want to see both faction have 3 men crew, and then we can do the asymmetrical balance, right know, weapon support teams (especially MG42 and pre-nerf maxims) render rifle squads useless
4 Sep 2013, 21:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 18:53 PMUGBEAR
In fact, I want to see both faction have 3 men crew, and then we can do the asymmetrical balance, right know, weapon support teams (especially MG42 and pre-nerf maxims) render rifle squads useless

I think when it came to designing the two factions, Relic got a little hung up on Enemy at the Gates.

Consider the last time a patch addressed this issue: instead of lowering the Russian teams to, lets say, four men, they raised the German teams to four men instead. I don't think support teams should have as many members as mainline infantry squads and I think the vCoH squad sizes made much more sense, but I doubt they're going to budge from this stance.

Moral of the story: don't fix what ain't broke.
4 Sep 2013, 22:13 PM

Yet another whining thread on these few decent Soviet units left.
How about we fix these MG's in 2v2 and German tanks blitzing with damaged engine?
Lets change 120 mortar in another Maxim so Germans have easy time playing with each other as soon there will be no Soviet player to play this game.
BTW, anyone knows ETA on the next patch?
5 Sep 2013, 07:43 AM

Yet another whining thread on these few decent Soviet units left.
How about we fix these MG's in 2v2 and German tanks blitzing with damaged engine?
Lets change 120 mortar in another Maxim so Germans have easy time playing with each other as soon there will be no Soviet player to play this game.
BTW, anyone knows ETA on the next patch?

No-one said anything about the mg42, nor blitzing tanks. please don't derail the thread. MG42/surpression is obviously getting adressed next patch.

This thread is about 120mm being able to retreat at one man, whereas other mortars cannot. That's it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 39
Germany 822
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak