Login

russian armor

Soviet Sniper Fixed ?

24 Aug 2013, 01:16 AM
Donator 11

Since the 221 has been fix it's not useless anymore and is probably in everyone's Ostheer game.

Do you feel the soviet sniper still needs to be looked at ? probably still a problem late game when you get units to support them but still, I find they are a greater risk since the 221 has been addressed.
24 Aug 2013, 01:39 AM

I don't see what the problem is with the Soviet sniper...
The German sniper has better survivability until a Soviet sniper hits the field(which I don't see often)

You guys are just expecting hard counters for everything. The German sniper is much better but sacrifices the ability to countersnipe.

I mean, the German sniper fires faster, never misses, and is always camoed.
24 Aug 2013, 01:43 AM

No, German sniper can't even countersnipe safely. Soviet snipers are very common, and getting 2 is optimal (can snipe 4 man squads easily).

Scout car can't chase snipers because a well placed mine can instantly kill the scout car and the range is too low.
24 Aug 2013, 01:51 AM

You can't just assume that there's always a mine there and make that a point.
24 Aug 2013, 02:39 AM

I don't see what the problem is with the Soviet sniper...
The German sniper has better survivability until a Soviet sniper hits the field(which I don't see often)

You guys are just expecting hard counters for everything. The German sniper is much better but sacrifices the ability to countersnipe.

It retains camo, it's not always camoed. It has the same hit rate as the Soviet one. it does fire faster, but that's only a balancing act vs the bigger Soviet squads. Basically, apart from the camo which is situational, the German sniper is simply worse. There's a reason you almost never see german snipers, yet I see Soviet ones every 2-3 games. When I'm not building one.
24 Aug 2013, 02:50 AM

I don't see Soviet snipers that much, but I definitely see a German sniper at least in 1/2 of the games I play, and it's annoying to kill with infantry because it disappears almost instantly after shooting.
24 Aug 2013, 03:22 AM

Permanently Banned
I definitely see a German sniper at least in 1/2 of the games I play

What game mode do you play?
24 Aug 2013, 03:55 AM

I see alltime the RUS sniper team. If i play as RUS i love/use them, then i play as WM i hate SU sniper team.

Wm Sniper simply not worth his price, vulnerable to countersnipe, and literally everything with 40hp single model, he is only a 360mp spotter/support unit, nothing else. A high risk/low-med reward unit.
24 Aug 2013, 04:35 AM

the sniper rate of fire for the Germans is not as noticeable as you think because it is different at various ranges. and always camoed? what?
24 Aug 2013, 04:37 AM

I don't see Soviet snipers that much, but I definitely see a German sniper at least in 1/2 of the games I play, and it's annoying to kill with infantry because it disappears almost instantly after shooting.

You must be playing another game. In my last 20 games I can count on one hand the number of Germans who deployed snipers, both in 1v1 and 2v2. And I'd have fingers to spare methinks.

You're also kinda not supposed to kill it with infantry. Still, oorah conscripts, M3s, mortars and soviet snipers counter it. It's the most micro-intensive unit in the game; whereas when I get Soviet snipers, making them attack-move whenever there's German infantry in range works wonders. If a scout car appears? AT nade his arse. Surprise guards are also very trollish vs scout cars.
24 Aug 2013, 04:51 AM

I think soviet sniper is balanced for cost, german should be a bit cheaper because of its drawbacks (and mg42 more expensive if they don't nerf it, but I think they will).
24 Aug 2013, 06:41 AM

Lets not forget that SU snipers has flares, which is basically nondoc recon run with lower price. It can be very deadly esp. with heavy mortars usage since there is no chance to destroy the flare.

Ost sniper on the other hand is complety rubbish for his price and has no added value like SU one. Also his Vet1 ability is not that great either.

24 Aug 2013, 08:01 AM

You can't just assume that there's always a mine there and make that a point.

Yes I can. I can assume that decent soviet players can have conscripts with AT nades, mines and guards. In COH1, people mined near their entrances all the time, why not here? Soviet mines are cheap anyway.

You can't make a point that "you don't see Soviet Snipers much" so it's not a problem.

As mentioned, German snipers rof isn't as fast as you think. Camo only applies if not spotted and at cover.
24 Aug 2013, 08:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i think tbh its to early to tell what needs to happen the patch just hit meta game has to evolve people have to figure out how to best play this patch which they haven't yet.
24 Aug 2013, 08:11 AM

As mentioned, German snipers rof isn't as fast as you think. Camo only applies if not spotted and at cover.

The german sniper stays stealthed for around 4 or so seconds after leaving cover, that's his little gimmick which doesn't really make up for the double team, but still.
25 Aug 2013, 06:39 AM

Permanently Banned
The 2x RoF unfortunately also means the Ost Sniper is necessarily revealed twice as often in order for it to perform its duties at equivalency to Sov Sniper, in relation to the larger Sov squad sizes.

This creates a internal handicap that sort of negates this "perk", to an extent.

Cover is so plentiful in this game that I find the longer camo out of cover to be a pretty superficial advantage. Makes micro moderately easier, but itsma "gimmicky" kind of thing that can just as easily be accomplished with movement through normal cover.

Id recommend:
-80 hp
-Change RoF to a quick double tap, with long reload after the two shots.
-Make Camo same as Sov.
-Increase its sight range above Sov Snipers
25 Aug 2013, 07:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2013, 06:39 AMNullist

Id recommend:
-Increase its sight range above Sov Snipers

My idea is opposite. Make Soviet sniper team consists of sniper and spotter with binoculars. Replace the flare ability with something similar (actual use of binoculars) for less ammo. It should work sort of as cone vision on SU85 or Elephant but with wider cone (sort of like on Maxim). If the sniper get killed, spotter can take his weapon and continue to fire, if the spotter is dead, sniper can still fire but his sight is greatly reduced making him vulnerable to countersnipe.
27 Aug 2013, 20:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2013, 07:05 AMPapinak

My idea is opposite. Make Soviet sniper team consists of sniper and spotter with binoculars. Replace the flare ability with something similar (actual use of binoculars) for less ammo. It should work sort of as cone vision on SU85 or Elephant but with wider cone (sort of like on Maxim). If the sniper get killed, spotter can take his weapon and continue to fire, if the spotter is dead, sniper can still fire but his sight is greatly reduced making him vulnerable to countersnipe.

and when the german sniper kills the spotter first, but is still within the truesight range of a forward conscript squad, he gets instantly picked off in return by any decent player. Or by the second sniper team the soviet player inevitably has, because why would you ever use just 1 sniper team vs an army of 4 man squads?

I'd much rather see a second man in the german squad and just keep it fairly mirrored for now. I've never seen a german sniper be used and after 300 1v1s I've never felt like I needed to use one either. About as much as I feel like I need a brummbar in any given game.

The buffed scout car is certainly nice but since at nades, 30 mun mines, and guards come into play for the soviets the same time as german t2 I don't see this as a significant change vs a good soviet player in relation to sniper use. Making multiple scout cars to kill a sniper (if at first you dont succeed, try try again!) will kill the ostheer's tech to t3 before soviet armor comes out
27 Aug 2013, 22:21 PM

Someone made a thread a while back where they said the German sniper's faster ROF is largely only applicable at closeish distances, i.e. distances at which a sniper shouldn't be operating. In addition to which, the 40 hp is just way too low. I've seen a few get ZiS sniped with just a normal shot, and any sort of indirect fire can basically just instakill them.

Basically, he'll die in a ton of scenarios when a soviet sniper team would get out with one man.

I'm finding Soviet Snipers less problematic now the German scout car upgun doesn't remove the AI, and I think German players are getting much better at not worrying too much about the snipers and just sitting on cutoffs with a halftrack reinforcing.
28 Aug 2013, 07:24 AM

and when the german sniper kills the spotter first, but is still within the truesight range of a forward conscript squad, he gets instantly picked off in return by any decent player. Or by the second sniper team the soviet player inevitably has, because why would you ever use just 1 sniper team vs an army of 4 man squads?

I'd much rather see a second man in the german squad and just keep it fairly mirrored for now.

I am 99% sure that there will be no change in the 1 man vs 2 men sniper team scenario so lets forget about that.
Also in addition to my previous post, maybe it can be coded that german sniper will always fire first at the guy with rifle (if he is also in range).
ATM german sniper has no role and no additional usage like soviet flares. I can leave with that he is ultra fragile but let him bring me something extra to my play.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 19
Germany 3
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %