Login

russian armor

Tiger commander fans?

22 Aug 2013, 22:25 PM

Hey all

I play mostly Germans and almost always take the tiger doctrine with opel blitz truck.
focusing on the tiger...ive found it pretty amazing vs infantry even better with top mg upgrade.
against armour its pretty gd too usually chops up t34's and I've noticed with new patch that t34 rams on heavy tanks only stun and do not disable main guns.
this really helps vs those swarms of t34s. Tiger only really struggles vs su-85 which is fine for balance i guess. I still hate AT nades but anyways...

I find most of the other commander abilities useful.
The strafe is amazing and basically cuts the soviet infantry out of the game. The fragmentation bombs are also pretty amazing vs blobbing.
One opel blitz can be very advantages especially to save up for tiger.
i pretty much use everything but the arty lieutenant.

Ive been going with an mg/gren/gren/mortar opening with a pgren and pak mid game (scout car or halftrack too) and then onto tiger.

Im just wanting to know what u guys think about this commander and what build orders u use successfully with this doctrine?
22 Aug 2013, 22:35 PM

i like to use several scout cars, and use the manpower i saved from the low mp cars on opel trucks since they give extra mp and fuel i can recover the investment if i manage the scouts wells i think its an extra challenge and a nice variation to german gameplay. i havent tried this strategy on the new patch tough.
22 Aug 2013, 23:57 PM

Pretty much anything works with this commander. Been using it to test my strafe-is-still-overpowered hypothesis. Conclusions so far: strafe is still ridiculously good for the cost, as well as aggravating as hell to play against.

Standard T1, scout cars -> Panthers for me.
23 Aug 2013, 00:30 AM

Tigers are great for their price considering you don't need any tech buildings.
23 Aug 2013, 12:34 PM

I'll get tiger if I can afford one but don't have time / can't bother to tech up. With the ram nerf it's more viable. I was playing 2on2 game yesterday against T34 spam. One of them rammed the tiger, T34 lost it's main gun and got immobilized while my tiger got crew shocked critical. Is there any chance ram would destroy the main gun of the tiger?
23 Aug 2013, 14:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2013, 12:34 PMZtormi
I'll get tiger if I can afford one but don't have time / can't bother to tech up. With the ram nerf it's more viable. I was playing 2on2 game yesterday against T34 spam. One of them rammed the tiger, T34 lost it's main gun and got immobilized while my tiger got crew shocked critical. Is there any chance ram would destroy the main gun of the tiger?

If it works like I think it works, there's about a 45% chance of gun damage if a T-34 hits a tiger frontally and about a 64% chance if it hits from the rear.

With an elephant, incidentally, I think your chance is 40% from the front but 100% from the rear.
23 Aug 2013, 20:43 PM

Yes that is how it works afaik:
Penetration of attacker / Armor of defender = chance to penetrate
If it doesn't penetrate, it still deals (less?) damage but there is no gun/engine damage.
23 Aug 2013, 21:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2013, 14:51 PMBlovski

With an elephant, incidentally, I think your chance is 40% from the front but 100% from the rear.

but 100% from the rear.

rear.

i understand all the technical stuff. but that does not even make sense. so you break the front gun of an assault gun from behind. lol
28 Aug 2013, 18:54 PM

Spearhead doctrine is really good as well. You get the Tiger, fragmentation bombs, as well as the mortar ht.
29 Aug 2013, 23:32 PM

Spearhead doctrine is really good as well. You get the Tiger, fragmentation bombs, as well as the mortar ht.

It does look really nice i just dont know how viable it is without blitz cargo truck....without that boost it takes to long to pull out the tiger...i find when waiting for tigers or elephant i almost always lose because my mid game crumbles without tanks such as the panzer 4
30 Aug 2013, 02:30 AM

With the new penetration on at grenade change and the su85 speed change the tiger is now viable. Before getting hit by even 1 oo-rah at nade could be death when a su85 decides to kite. The extra munition and fuel from the trucks can be overpowered in team games, especially when stacking trucks on top of caches. In team games with my friends it can be fun to get 4-10 grenadier squads all with lmgs/g43s/camo and then get them to vet 3 extremely early backed by panthers.
Tigers still aren't cost effective with trading blows against su85s, but they can be great in team games to absorb shots for panthers and other tanks. Although in those late game situations I end up with like 6 pioneers with flame throwers to keep up with repairs.
30 Aug 2013, 14:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Agreed. Spearhead has become my preferred doctrine. The Reconnaissance Flight ability is also very, very useful for base scouting and locating good flanking routes. Panzer Tactician is great too, and since it comes at 1 CP you can use it from the time your first vehicles are out.

I don't find the lack of Opel Blitz truck to be particularly troublesome, as long as you don't tech above T2. Getting enough fuel for a Tiger is not the hard part: it's holding out for the 5 CPs. If your opponent gets enough fuel to get fast T-34s and kills all your infantry before you can get your Tiger, you're in trouble.

On a different thread I calculated the amount of fuel and manpower it takes to get a Tiger (or Elefant) v. getting T3 or T4:
http://www.coh2.org/topic/7041/tips-vs-snipers-with-su85-1v1/post/69779
30 Aug 2013, 14:15 PM

Permanently Banned
Tiger is bad and you should feel bad.
31 Aug 2013, 17:28 PM

i played a 1v1 auto earlier and managed to field dual tigers...i was busy building t3 building when a happened to see the enemy building t4 (for su-85 obviously) so i quickly stopped my engineers from building my t3 and just saved fuel for tiger instead...he went and built a su85 but it couldnt really do much as it had no tanks to fire at my pgrens with shreks kept them away fine...and with my tigers i ended up winning...i got a faust hit on su85 so it got engine damage and the tiger moved in for the kill strafe kept all his infantry at bay as he was also pumping out snipers
Hux
1 Sep 2013, 17:59 PM
Patrion 14

I love the tiger man. I think they might have nailed it perfectly in CoH2 in terms of being close to it's 'designed role', the time (and amount of fuel) it takes to get a tiger means You don't often see it in games -comparable to say a panther - but when you do see it, it is something that, if used in the right hands, can be pretty unstoppable. And I agree that is how it should feel.

I find heavy tanks an absolute joy to micro in CoH2 (just as I did in CoH1) and I'm thankful that hasn't been lost between the two games.
1 Sep 2013, 20:32 PM

well said and at least the tiger is quite speedy especially with vet 1 ability easily flank an su85 or even an IS2
1 Sep 2013, 23:14 PM

It does look really nice i just dont know how viable it is without blitz cargo truck....without that boost it takes to long to pull out the tiger...i find when waiting for tigers or elephant i almost always lose because my mid game crumbles without tanks such as the panzer 4

If you feel the need for extra income..drop a fuel cache on a point in the safest location you got.
3 Sep 2013, 09:49 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

i played a 1v1 auto earlier and managed to field dual tigers...i was busy building t3 building when a happened to see the enemy building t4 (for su-85 obviously) so i quickly stopped my engineers from building my t3 and just saved fuel for tiger instead...he went and built a su85 but it couldnt really do much as it had no tanks to fire at my pgrens with shreks kept them away fine...and with my tigers i ended up winning...i got a faust hit on su85 so it got engine damage and the tiger moved in for the kill strafe kept all his infantry at bay as he was also pumping out snipers

Mwahahahaha! Awesome :D
3 Sep 2013, 11:35 AM

nothing better than dual tigers i love them
6 Sep 2013, 16:00 PM

finally got my "top of the food chain" bulletin for my tigers...4% penetration increase doubt ill use it for 1v1 but could be gd in 3v3 4v4
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 24
unknown 10
United States 7
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %