Login

russian armor

Another Squad-Ai Thread

19 May 2018, 02:41 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I wasn't sure to put this in the modding section or this section, as its a bit of both. I'd be happy if a admin could move it to the right place if it isnt already in it.

Below is a link to a collection of squad-ai files that I made for the December patch not too long ago. We were going to put it into the game, unused, and test it for possible implementation in a future patch. "Why dont you test it in a mod" I hear you say. Well, squad-ai files are loaded on startup, thus, while you can put them into a tuning pack, they dont load and are unusable.

--Enigmatic Link--
Hint: You can view them with a text editor of your choosing.

Sadly, we weren't able to get them in before we had to send the final version to relic. The current squad-ai that is leftover in CoH2 is, well, poor at best. You can see the best the base game has to offer in my own mod, but even I admit its buggy and horribly simple. (Most of) The plans in this pack is how a decent ai file should look, you can check out the Multiplayer Infantry plan for a good example. Hopefully this can one day make it into the game, for modders and such to use if they want to spice-up infantry combat.
19 May 2018, 20:47 PM

Is there a particular reason why this wasn't implemented in the previous patch?
19 May 2018, 21:09 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Is there a particular reason why this wasn't implemented in the previous patch?

In the recent spring patch? That was mainly because that patch was albiet more controlled by Relic, with minimal interaction from the community. Second, distrust from the last squad-ai changes made this sound bad, even if it went unused.
19 May 2018, 22:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2018, 21:09 PMLugie

In the recent spring patch? That was mainly because that patch was albiet more controlled by Relic, with minimal interaction from the community. Second, distrust from the last squad-ai changes made this sound bad, even if it went unused.

No, I mean the previous patch, the Summer-Winter one where the squad-AI was introduced.

My question specifically is why what you posted in the OP wasn't tested and then implemented in that patch if it did the job.

Unless of course it was just like you said with Relic calling the shots, then everything is obvious.
19 May 2018, 23:19 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

No, I mean the previous patch, the Summer-Winter one where the squad-AI was introduced.

I explained that in the original post. There wasnt enough time to add all the files in before shipping, probably because this was started only a few weeks before the patch was finalized. Last-minute changes are not allowed, even if they're unused, unless its a small bugfix or the like. The hope was to test a suite of different ai-types in a mod, and if it worked well-enough, put them into live.
19 May 2018, 23:41 PM

Honestly if it were me I would put down the hammer and tell Relic to let me finish my work properly instead of rushing all of the time, leading us to such bullshit.

You guys should have put your feet down and let them know that they are at your mercy, not the other way around because quite frankly CoH2 is the only thing still keeping them in the game after DoW3 and I doubt many people have hope or will even consider getting AoE4 because of that, of course that is unless they're blinded fan boys that still play AoE2 religiously.
20 May 2018, 04:01 AM

Ok, ignoring the angry ranting man, can you elaborate as to what squad AI involves in this game? I've been curious since I started seeing it in patch notes, but I haven't seen any explanations.
20 May 2018, 06:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2018, 04:01 AMCyanara
Ok, ignoring the angry ranting man, can you elaborate as to what squad AI involves in this game? I've been curious since I started seeing it in patch notes, but I haven't seen any explanations.

Its not really pronounced in Coh2, but its very visible in vCoh. Basically it determines how men in the squad behave and includes things like what the shape of their formation is, where heavy weapons are placed in the squad, things like going prone when firing weapons or scattering from AoE attacks, spreading out when the squad engages an enemy, etc. Basically all the things the squad does by itself when given orders falls to the squad AI and generally serves to make infantry combat feel realistic at the cost of unexpected behavior, ie. vCoh squads abandoning their cover.
20 May 2018, 19:07 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

He summed it up very well. The hope was to put a MP version of the AI into the live game, one that doesn't do too much and isnt as invasive as CoH1's ai, while leaving a much more advanced version unused.

And just to mention, that annoying bug of units running to the other side of cover, exposing themselves and making you take unnecessary losses, has been fixed in CoH2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★