Login

russian armor

WC51 & Mechanized assault

10 Apr 2018, 02:19 AM

Has anyone here gotten WC51 to work in 1v1? It feels very very hard to micro, and quite a hefty investment now that there's no refit and repurpose

I'd like to learn to play this commander as it has MT HT without playing an overly defensive USF with infantry company, and I generally enjoy using clown car like units

10 Apr 2018, 13:06 PM

Infantry Company's better if you want mortar halftracks. Riflemen sandbangs and mines, M1919 LMGs and a solid offmap are more useful in 1v1. Pretty much everything you'd want from Mechanized in a 1v1 is in Infantry in a stronger form.

It's a shame because it wouldn't take much to fix Mechanized. I suspect it was designed with much more static teamgames in mind.
10 Apr 2018, 14:03 PM

I messed around with Mechanized a bit vs. OKW in 1v1 - mostly just using the WC51 as an early pressure unit before OKW can get Fausts. It's good if you want to catch an early Kubel off guard (if it's a bigger map where Kubels are common) or if you want to play aggressive and harass their fuel/cut-off. Once you suspect they have fausts or a raketen (which if you force an early Raketen is a win for you) then you can use the Raid ability to cap with it or decrew it in your base until you get your major and then save for the arty ability on Flak HQ if it's on field. One important thing to keep in mind is you NEVER want to get too close to Sturms since they can pen the WC51 easily. I never really bothered with the upgrade - I mostly just used Rifles inside.

I tend to agree if you mostly want Mortar HT then Infantry is better and I've come to the conclusion that 76 MM Sherman and Sherman Dozer isn't really worth it IMO. Overall I still find Mechanized kind of underwhelming but WC51 is kind of a novelty unit to have fun with and Mortar HT is very good.
12 Apr 2018, 15:47 PM

Mechanised used to be very strong vs OKW. Then Relic nerfed the WC51 into uselessness, raid tactics is still useless. The M3 is crewed by the engineers making it more useless mortar is better provided by Infantry and the 76 Sherman doesn't have HE so why bother?

Overall mechanised would be fixed by giving the M3 a crew. Giving the WC51 back it's 50 cal default (or making it respond better so it doesn't spaz out when you retreat it away from a racketen/volksblob replace Raid tactics with a Greyhound. That will upgrade it from useless to situational.

The main problem is the USF relies on closing the game early. This company is supposed to allow that at the expense of no late game abilities. However instead it was nerfed and now is an avoid at all costs.

Inf, Airborne and Heavy Cavalry are my go too Doctrines but you could swap AB out for Tactical if you really want to win hard.
15 Apr 2018, 11:52 AM

A new development on this front: Mechanized was used by ClassyDavid himself in the Seasonal Map Cup against oziligath's Ostheer.

https://www.coh2.org/replay/69079/smc-round-1-game-2-dave-v-oziligath

Mechanized is locked in almost immediately. The WC51 is called in at 60 munitions and immediately upgraded. It works with Rifle squads as fire support.

Dave then techs Captain instead of the ubiquitous Lieutenant and rolls out a Stuart. The Stuart fights together with the WC51.

Dave used the more common Recon Support /w Lieutenant build in his match against Talisman's OKW. Nevertheless I'd love to hear more about this Mechanized strategy. Hopefully he sees this thread and is happy to share more about it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★