Login

russian armor

1v1 non penal builds?

22 Mar 2018, 01:55 AM

Been experimenting with cons a lot more this patch but just can't get them really to work for me

I understand you should approach cons like ostruppens and use them as cappers as opposed fighters, so should support with maxim but still just doesn't end up giving me much map control

22 Mar 2018, 11:31 AM

After the recent patch changes cons are actually decent fighters. If you watch some top player replays 4x con builds are quite common now.
22 Mar 2018, 12:54 PM
Strategist Badge

Conscripts are very capable fighters but should be used at longer ranges and be kept in cover. At vet three they become perfectly good infantry for their cost.

Good non-penal builds are something like 3 cons into 2 maxims as your basic core. From there you can vary a lot; guards or shocks or more support weapons.
22 Mar 2018, 13:35 PM

General Tips

1. Use Sandbags
2. Use Oorah (use to close distance) Cons work best close-medium range. You obviously want to stick more to medium range against SMG units like Pioneers.
3. Use Commanders with PPSH - PPSH cons are a lot more forgiving in that they are less micro intensive and give a nice DPS boost.
4. Don't ever close the distance against static Grenadiers behind cover.
22 Mar 2018, 13:37 PM

General Tips

1. Use Sandbags
2. Use Oorah (use to close distance) Cons work best close-medium range. You obviously want to stick more to medium range against SMG units like Pioneers.
3. Use Commanders with PPSH - PPSH cons are a lot more forgiving in that they are less micro intensive and give a nice DPS boost.

Good tips, this is sort of what I'm looking for.

What about vs volksgrens?
22 Mar 2018, 13:51 PM

General Tips

Why not? Seems to me like cons should always try to close distance with grens, especially with ppsh's.
23 Mar 2018, 10:42 AM

Why not? Seems to me like cons should always try to close distance with grens, especially with ppsh's.

I think the point is that if you try to close the distance with grens who are fighting from behind cover, then they will shred you before you get close. And even if you still have a capable force by the time you get near, they can just fall back rather than lose men. There are of course exceptions to this rule.
23 Mar 2018, 11:45 AM

I think the point is that if you try to close the distance with grens who are fighting from behind cover, then they will shred you before you get close. And even if you still have a capable force by the time you get near, they can just fall back rather than lose men. There are of course exceptions to this rule.

With oorah I think it's perfectly feasible to close in and lose 1 man at most.
23 Mar 2018, 12:13 PM

With oorah I think it's perfectly feasible to close in and lose 1 man at most.

True under some conditions allthough it might still not be advisable without ppsh if the grens have a weapon upgrade.
23 Mar 2018, 20:46 PM

This is what I was going for yeah. The mistake I see a lot of newer/lower level players make often is that they take unnecessary manpower loss trying to force engagements that don't favor them. With Conscripts they do more damage at close/medium range so you'll see players try to close distance in a manner that negates any benefit you might get from engaging at close range. Generally speaking in a vacuum you never want to charge an equal number of conscripts at grenadiers behind cover. Of course PPSH increases the net gain you get for closing in and Oorah helps but that doesn't mean that Oorahing PPSH Cons straight into battle is always the best decision.
25 Mar 2018, 00:35 AM

I don't know why but my conscripts cant even beat 1v1 a grenadier who was walking out of cover for a long time while in superior cover at close range?

Like I guess even then its probably a close toss up but I lose that sort of match up too frequently that I'm just feeding vet
31 Mar 2018, 20:29 PM

I don't know why but my conscripts cant even beat 1v1 a grenadier who was walking out of cover for a long time while in superior cover at close range?

Like I guess even then its probably a close toss up but I lose that sort of match up too frequently that I'm just feeding vet

I've had this same problem with cons. I think cons are quite micro intensive because of how fragile they are in anything less than yellow cover.

I say just keep playing cons and watching replays until you know what situations to use oorah (pros often use them to move AWAY from units and get into better cover or to get a better retreat path)
and which situations you just accept as unwinnable for your comrades and retreat.

Because there's only so much the strategists can tell you about those kind of specifics.

31 Mar 2018, 20:57 PM

Don't forget about Hit the Dirt and Merge. Merge is awesome ability, but many players usually forgets about it.
31 Mar 2018, 21:19 PM

Conscripts are very capable fighters but should be used at longer ranges and be kept in cover. At vet three they become perfectly good infantry for their cost.

Good non-penal builds are something like 3 cons into 2 maxims as your basic core. From there you can vary a lot; guards or shocks or more support weapons.

finddeed why do you think cons are good units for longer ranges? i thought it was opposite. maybe i'm wrang but idk i think cons are more close range type of units
31 Mar 2018, 21:34 PM

Conscripts in heavy cover can probably go toe to toe at long range, if both are in green cover, RNGesus decides the winner. But anything less than green cover and conscripts are only good for stalling at long range.
3 Apr 2018, 07:29 AM
Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Mar 2018, 21:19 PMYRon²y

finddeed why do you think cons are good units for longer ranges? i thought it was opposite. maybe i'm wrang but idk i think cons are more close range type of units

Conscripts were reworked in the last patch. Against Grens and Volks Grens, it is better for conscripts to fight at longer ranges, this is partly because if you want to get into close range, you must close the distance. Doing so gives even more advantage to the Grens/volks grens.

This changes later in the game when units have vet, and maybe upgrades. Fighting an LMG 42 Gren at long range is a bad idea.

3 Apr 2018, 09:09 AM

Conscripts were reworked in the last patch. Against Grens and Volks Grens, it is better for conscripts to fight at longer ranges, this is partly because if you want to get into close range, you must close the distance. Doing so gives even more advantage to the Grens/volks grens.

This changes later in the game when units have vet, and maybe upgrades. Fighting an LMG 42 Gren at long range is a bad idea.

oh, so they got changed?
3 Apr 2018, 12:09 PM
Strategist Badge

oh, so they got changed?

This was a patch a long time ago now, last year. I don't know how up-to-date you are :)
3 Apr 2018, 13:05 PM

This was a patch a long time ago now, last year. I don't know how up-to-date you are :)

december patch? i must have overlooked that
6 Apr 2018, 06:02 AM

I think its less a problem vs ostheer than it is with OKW who also swarm the map with their base infantry which are better.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★