Login

russian armor

Former Relic studio head joins Sega & CoH3

1 Mar 2018, 06:20 AM

yeh, yeh,

Just don't make another Company of Comrade-machinegun-excuting, Civilian-Burning, random-soldier-excution, prisoner-slaughter thugs, the forgotten tale of "escape from gulag to the free-world" kind of story, I dare you ......

Bah, this is not really a good news for me. The sheer amount of stupidity of COH2 main story is a fallout......

BTW,No, I'm not Russian.
1 Mar 2018, 12:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2018, 06:20 AMUGBEAR
yeh, yeh,

Just don't make another Company of Comrade-machinegun-excuting, Civilian-Burning, random-soldier-excution, prisoner-slaughter thugs, the forgotten tale of "escape from gulag to the free-world" kind of story, I dare you ......

Bah, this is not really a good news for me. The sheer amount of stupidity of COH2 main story is a fallout......

BTW,No, I'm not Russian.

And neither are you familiar with actual WW2 history on soviet side.
All of the stuff happening in CoH2 did happen, simply not all the damn time.
We all know that soviets were not the good guys either.
And if you actually played the campaign, you would notice that officers were surprised there are still People in houses as all were meant to be evacuated by that time.

Do not twist facts like all these russians who have glorified and poetic version of ww2 red army beaten into their heads.

Relic did the homework on the issue, others being in denial about the actual events that DID took place changes nothing.
1 Mar 2018, 14:36 PM
Donator 11

What is CoH without Quinn Duffy while he works on AOE4???:snfQuinn::snfQuinn::snfQuinn::snfQuinn::snfQuinn::snfQuinn::snfQuinn:
1 Mar 2018, 15:00 PM

And neither are you familiar with actual WW2 history on soviet side.
All of the stuff happening in CoH2 did happen, simply not all the damn time.
We all know that soviets were not the good guys either.
And if you actually played the campaign, you would notice that officers were surprised there are still People in houses as all were meant to be evacuated by that time.

Do not twist facts like all these russians who have glorified and poetic version of ww2 red army beaten into their heads.

Relic did the homework on the issue, others being in denial about the actual events that DID took place changes nothing.

You're right that there is a false romanticized version of the Great Patriotic War (just as US and UK boys are taught the romanticized version of ww2 history without the whole carpet-bombing of civilians stories) but the problem with CoH2 storymode is it focuses entirely on the horrific moments.

Compare to the equally highly romanticized western view of WW2 and CoH1 storyline, where there are actual heroes and the US characters are all "good" and heroic.

So if Relic wanted to portray a more realistic story (which they didn't - they just wanted to relive their experience of watching enemy at the gates), they should have included a balanced version where the soviet troops were portrayed as heroic for defending their motherland against unspeakable horrors. Unlike the US, who were actually an invading army technically.

Only portraying soviet brutality without soviet heroism is hardly portraying the truth accurately.
1 Mar 2018, 19:10 PM

You're right that there is a false romanticized version of the Great Patriotic War (just as US and UK boys are taught the romanticized version of ww2 history without the whole carpet-bombing of civilians stories) but the problem with CoH2 storymode is it focuses entirely on the horrific moments.

Compare to the equally highly romanticized western view of WW2 and CoH1 storyline, where there are actual heroes and the US characters are all "good" and heroic.

So if Relic wanted to portray a more realistic story (which they didn't - they just wanted to relive their experience of watching enemy at the gates), they should have included a balanced version where the soviet troops were portrayed as heroic for defending their motherland against unspeakable horrors. Unlike the US, who were actually an invading army technically.

Only portraying soviet brutality without soviet heroism is hardly portraying the truth accurately.

+1 it always the same shit when north americain movie makers or game smakers draw a story.

soviets , japaneses, now muslims, are pieces of shit, and americains are always good, heroic, brave, etc.
1 Mar 2018, 19:15 PM
Donator 11

Maybe I'm weird and want a controversial game that show the questions of morality and brutality of both during the war. after all, that's normally what happened during the time period. Honestly I felt like CoH2 has been pretty white washed of the harsh cruelty of the war when you compare it to coh 1. Definitely more sterile as far as deaths, bodies, and dead body gibs. It could be a culture thing or a SEGA/Relic thing but I felt like CoH2 didn't rly push any boundaries where it should have and made some interesting story elements that rly hit you in the gut. We have an M rated game but we don't really use it
1 Mar 2018, 19:23 PM

Maybe I'm weird and want a controversial game that show the questions of morality and brutality of both during the war. after all, that's normally what happened during the time period. Honestly I felt like CoH2 has been pretty white washed of the harsh cruelty of the war when you compare it to coh 1. Definitely more sterile as far as deaths, bodies, and dead body gibs. It could be a culture thing or a SEGA/Relic thing but I felt like CoH2 didn't rly push any boundaries where it should have and made some interesting story elements that rly hit you in the gut. We have an M rated game but we don't really use it

Mate, that's fine, nothing weird about it. My point wasn't "brutality in games is bad"

It was "Relic glorified the US forces in CoH1 and demonized the Soviet forces in CoH2"

Also, if they did go M-rated and give us WW2-meets-Saw, ok but if we are asking for truth, we might want to ask for thefull truth. The Soviets saved the world, for all theor brutality. It wasn't feckin Montgomery and Sean Connery
1 Mar 2018, 20:41 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Maybe I'm weird and want a controversial game that show the questions of morality and brutality of both during the war.

It's called Company of Heroes, not Company of War Criminals.
2 Mar 2018, 00:16 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2018, 20:41 PMTobis

+1
And please, no "Company of Victims" (PC/victimhood culture) rewriting history. Just no.
Band of Brothers, still the highest rated TV show on;
http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv/
As long Relic continue to follow this immersive storytelling/narrative from BoB/CoH1 (soldier perspective) they will do fine with low risk of failing.

But don't let the mask of "civility" from PC culture fool you and their false hope of more "inclusive WW2 games". They don't care about "intellectual diversity" while masquerading as defenders of "diversity". In reality, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
One of my biggest CoH3 concern is Relic pandering to third-wave feminism/PC culture which will instantly alienate many WW2 fans;

Time for some equality of death, no?

"Forced diversity" in historical Wargames and entertainment is just stupid and will alienate a lot of fans for sure.
Dunkirk, the event or the film, is nothing like "feminists" claim
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dunkirk-the-event-or-the-film-is-nothing-like-feminists-claim/article/2630531
This isn't a blow to feminism, but a part of history. This would be like a man watching a woman give birth and upon seeing her triumphantly and yet fondly cuddle her newborn baby demand recognition for his small but intrinsic role in the event that created that moment.

Complaining about what men did in the heroic moments of World War II, as per "Saving Private Ryan" or remaining full of righteous indignation about the suffering men endured as per "Dunkirk" (save for the glorious dog fights Tom Hardy's character wins repeatedly) seems not only ignorant but ungrateful -- which is more poisonous to the movement, nay, to history?

Feminists want it both ways: They want to be recognized regardless of sex, but pout when they're not recognized because of their sex, even at the risk of depicting history wrongly -- even at the risk of belittling the sacrifice and heroism of their male counterparts and aggrandizing themselves for roles which they did not participate. Instead of sniveling about maleness, perhaps feminists should commit to telling the world what women did during World War II. Or at the very least, get the story right: That's why they can complain in English, not German.

Video below about PC culture messing with the 40K community after they messed up the "Magic of the Gathering" community;

https://www.facebook.com/Feminist40K/

Especially on campus, this PC culture of easily offended people has been spreading like wildfire over the past 5 years.

Again, even the Swedish YouTuber Pewdiepie (nr.4 most SUBSCRIBED, with 60M) has been making fun of this culture on his channel;

The reality of life is not for the soft-skinned and the faint-hearted people.
The right to free speech means nothing without the right to offend.
So please "New Relic", don't make the fatal mistake and think this tolerance propaganda is going to sell a lot of games.

PC "Disclaimer"
I'm not against diversity within entertainment where it actually makes sense.
It's all about context.
A good example is the new Star Trek Discovery TV series. Diversity within that universe makes sense and the characterization/story is believable. Diversity in Star Wars Rogue One was alright too.
2 Mar 2018, 15:38 PM

+1
And please, no "Company of Victims" (PC/victimhood culture) rewriting history. Just no.
As long Relic continue to follow this immersive storytelling/narrative from BoB/CoH1 (soldier perspective) they will do fine with low risk of failing.

But don't let the mask of "civility" from PC culture fool you and their false hope of more "inclusive WW2 games". They don't care about "intellectual diversity" while masquerading as defenders of "diversity". In reality, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
One of my biggest CoH3 concern is Relic pandering to third-wave feminism/PC culture which will instantly alienate many WW2 fans;

Time for some equality of death, no?

"Forced diversity" in historical Wargames and entertainment is just stupid and will alienate a lot of fans for sure.
Dunkirk, the event or the film, is nothing like "feminists" claim
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dunkirk-the-event-or-the-film-is-nothing-like-feminists-claim/article/2630531

Video below about PC culture messing with the 40K community after they messed up the "Magic of the Gathering" community;

https://www.facebook.com/Feminist40K/

Especially on campus, this PC culture of easily offended people has been spreading like wildfire over the past 5 years.

Again, even the Swedish YouTuber Pewdiepie (nr.4 most SUBSCRIBED, with 60M) has been making fun of this culture on his channel;

The reality of life is not for the soft-skinned and the faint-hearted people.
The right to free speech means nothing without the right to offend.
So please "New Relic", don't make the fatal mistake and think this tolerance propaganda is going to sell a lot of games.

PC "Disclaimer"
I'm not against diversity within entertainment where it actually makes sense.
It's all about context.
A good example is the new Star Trek Discovery TV series. Diversity within that universe makes sense and the characterization/story is believable. Diversity in Star Wars Rogue One was alright too.

Well, that was quite the rant on third-wave feminism right there. You got triggered but that's ok. No judgement here on coh2.org :)

I don't know what you were replying to. Me and Tobis were talking about portraying the heroic aspects of conflict and that that makes for a more enjoyable game.

And while the darker truths will certainly add depth - ONLY portraying dark truths is not exciting or entertaining or truthful.

Noone is talking about safe spaces or feelings or any of the things you mentioned. Disney is not going to ruin coh for you and noone is going to make you dye your hair blue and denounce your white male privilege)))

Just this "coh2 story mode sucked because it focused way too heavily on sovoet brutality and not at all on soviet heroism"
3 Mar 2018, 06:15 AM

CoH2 is the only majorly known WWII game out now (as far as I'm aware) that actually has the right balance of flavor and legally mandated restrictions (no swastikas because then the game wouldn't be allowed in Germany).

The voice quotes are full of flavor, both humorous ones, and passionate ones, and a mix of the two. It also boasts great sound effects (still the best G43 sound effect of any WWII game).

If they censor the content for PC reasons or don't put enough resources into production quality, it'll be a dead game no arrival.
4 Mar 2018, 16:19 PM
Patrion 310

Relic news TBA
It looks like Sega or MS are gearing up to buy a new Vancouver studio for their mobile games IPs run by former CoH1 vet;
http://www.smokingguninc.com/

Big Relic news below - BC government sources confirm growing Sega investments in Vancouver 2018/2019;
Please note most current Relic jobs are from 2017 not 2018, another strong hint Sega is buying new Vancouver studio soon
Source Twitter;
On our trade and investment mission to Japan, @GeorgeChowMLA and I
stopped by the international headquarters of @SEGA - the owner of Vancouver’s
@relicgames which is creating 50 new jobs in BC this year.
Great to see Japanese investment and B.C. talent coming together #BCTECH

@BruceRalston Twitter
Bruce Ralston BC Minister of Jobs, Trade, and Technology (Relic, Vancouver part of BC)
https://twitter.com/BruceRalston/status/958416758779494400

Premier and ministers travel to Japan to expand access to key markets
News Release - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/releases/news_releases_2017-2021/2018PREM0012-000114.pdf
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018PREM0012-000114?WT.cg_n=HootSuite
*SNIP*
The delegation, which included Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology Bruce Ralston and Minister of State for Trade George Chow, met with technology leaders Fujitsu and SEGA to promote investment in B.C. and partnerships with B.C. tech companies in information communications technology (ICT), wireless, quantum computing, and digital gaming and entertainment.

“With some of the world’s largest tech and IT companies, Japan’s growing investment in B.C. is a show of confidence in our tech sector and economy,” said Ralston. “Our research infrastructure, deep talent pool and culturally diverse population are a magnet for tech investment.”

“Solidifying our relationships with Japanese government agencies and tech companies is an important part of our growth strategy in this sector,” said Chow. “We look forward to continuing discussions with many of our valued tech stakeholders at the BC Tech Summit in Vancouver next May.”

Premier Horgan also gave a keynote speech promoting B.C. at a gathering of over 150 community, government and business leaders in technology, natural resources, agrifoods, tourism and international education.

Quick Facts:
- Japan is B.C.’s third-largest trading partner with $3.7 billion in goods exports in 2016.
- B.C.’s total exports to Japan, which are primarily commodities, are more than double that of the second-ranked Canadian province.
- In 2016, B.C. exported $985 million in copper and $969 million in metallurgical coal to Japan.
- B.C. is a leading supplier of wood products to Japan. In 2016, B.C. exported $726 million in lumber.
- B.C.’s ICT companies employ over 20,000 people and generate more than $9.5 billion in annual revenues.
- In 2016, B.C.’s interactive gaming sector comprised more than 150 companies, employing nearly 6,000 people full time.
- The Province established its trade and investment representative office in Tokyo, Japan in 2007.

4 Mar 2018, 23:15 PM

While BoB definitely deserves such a high spot on the list, The Wire is barely beating Rick and Morty at #6 and #7 respectively and Rome is all the way down at #51 while Last Week Tonight hold #22. I mean FFS Deathnote is beating out Cowboy Bebop. This list is garbage.

I am fairly certain that Sega will not go the route of EA and shove diversity for diversity sake. I don't trust Sega not to pressure Relic into shoving CoH3 out the door 3-6 months early however as that is definitely their MO.
5 Mar 2018, 01:26 AM
Donator 11

Wonder if we'll get a mobile AOE or CoH mobile game....
8 Mar 2018, 02:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2018, 20:41 PMTobis

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?” - Dan Brown

There were atrocities committed by all sides. Pls remember that when you romantisise or defend your favorite side.

As for the triggered dude earlier, lets form our own meninist movement.
8 Mar 2018, 02:54 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?” - Dan Brown

There were atrocities committed by all sides. Pls remember that when you romantisise or defend your favorite side.

As for the triggered dude earlier, lets form our own meninist movement.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
In CoH 1 they even had multiple German campaigns, and only focused on the heroism and bravery of the men. Not war crimes. That's not what Company of Heroes is about.
8 Mar 2018, 03:14 AM

History is a discipline devoted to the study and analysis of the past, using rigorous logic and the best evidence available. Is it possible to know exactly what happened? Sure. Do historians always agree about everything? Of course not. But if you want to revise history, you can't just throw your hands up and say "who really knows." You have to do the work: visit archives, find documents, talk to witnesses, scrutinize existing interpretations, etc.

If you're talking about stuff like Winston Churchill's war memoirs, then yes, that's an example of the winners writing history. But no serious historian would look at something like that and take it at face value.

"Any surgeon will admit that complete asepsis is impossible, but one does not, for that reason, perform surgery in a sewer. There is no need to write or teach history in an intellectual sewer either" - Bernard Lewis.

15 Mar 2018, 05:51 AM
Patrion 310

For those interested, I updated the OP with a couple more old Relic interviews to support the idea of CoH coming to console.

Also possibly related to this;
1) CoH technical lead Programmer (Ian Thomson);
"involved in a big Essence Engine upgrade"
https://www.coh2.org/topic/68015/interview-coh-technical-lead-programmer
2) Relic recruiting Senior Programmers for "unannounced title";
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/237032

Update;
3) Kris Lang, Video Game Tech Director/Principal Programmer (former Client Technical Director from Sony Online Entertainment, 5 years)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/endotel/

Two Relic console programmers working on "Unannounced Project" and a senior game designer (since 2011 space marine);
4) Will Brown, Senior Generalist Programmer at Relic Entertainment (joined Relic mid-2017)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/will-brown-1b2a30a/

5) YoungWook Yang (former Relic programmer, 2009-2012), now Lead Gameplay Engineer at Blizzard Entertainment
Unannounced Project
(Gameplay prototyping, tools, in-game script and network; C++)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/youngwook/

6) Brock Robin, Senior Designer at Relic Entertainment (2007-present)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brock-robin-149a6a3/
Working on "Unannounced Project" since 2011 (when Alex Peters was running Relic)
- Unannounced Project
- (2011) - Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (PC, Xbox 360, PS3)
- (2011) - Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution (PC)
- (2010) - Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (PC)
- (2009) - Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)

Space Marine

Space Marine was my first multi-platform project. I helped the core design team finish up and refine unit behavior in the Havok Behavior tool.

I am a systems designer at Relic Entertainment currently working on an unannounced project. I am passionate about developing core and progression systems as well as the content to flesh them out.

Specialties:
Systems / Core Design
Progression
Animation systems
Havok Behavior Tool
Documentation

7) Seng Lau, Senior Gameplay Animator (Relic 2009-2012)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/seng-lau-1b80476/
Created quality, key-frame gameplay animation for the third person action game, "Space Marine", as well as an unannounced RTS project

8) Relic recruiting UI Programmers for "unannounced project team"
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?f_C=165702&locationId=OTHERS.worldwide
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/1031178
This soon to be Relican will join our Age of Empires IV or unannounced project team.
As our UI Programmer, here’s what you will be doing...
Working with artists and designers to build out interfaces
Researching and developing new game UI systems and infrastructure
Building tools and pipelines to support UI content creators
Developing, setting and enforcing best practices for screen creation, layout, behavior and styles
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★