Login

russian armor

Ideas for a map

15 Jan 2018, 19:56 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

A basic rundown:
I'm working on a SP map for a mod, with it being optimized for slightly longer-range combat, Similar to RO2. Its a early WIP, and I have the whole left side planned. However, i'm having a bit of trouble filling out the right portion of the map. The bits that are there are important points, everything else should just be visual cover stuff and whatnot.

If any pro map-mates are willing to lend a hand, that would be bloody fantastic. If you are, send me a message.

-- A overhead view

15 Jan 2018, 21:57 PM

looks huge. get prepared for battles with 10 fps :bananadance:
16 Jan 2018, 03:22 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

looks huge. get prepared for battles with 10 fps :bananadance:

Its actually not too big, around 700 by 800. So far, it runs better than official maps while only slightly lacking small details.
19 Jan 2018, 08:53 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2018, 03:22 AMLugie

Its actually not too big, around 700 by 800. So far, it runs better than official maps while only slightly lacking small details.

700x800 [if it is the true playable size] is actually very large for a 1v1.

You didn't post the file up anywhere did you? I wanted to take a look to make sure you weren't making some mistakes, but if it is singleplayer, maybe you don't need to worry about the basic stuff for a map.
19 Jan 2018, 10:49 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2018, 08:53 AMTric

700x800 [if it is the true playable size] is actually very large for a 1v1.

You didn't post the file up anywhere did you? I wanted to take a look to make sure you weren't making some mistakes, but if it is singleplayer, maybe you don't need to worry about the basic stuff for a map.

The 700x800 is the base map size. The actual playable zone is a bit smaller, probably somewhere around 640 x 700. It is technically a 2v2, but really its a 1v1. The second players on both sides are mostly there for flavor units. Once I get the map filled out, I'll post a WIP version on the workshop for testing. Feel free to msg me for a incomplete version though.

Since its a single-player map made for a mod, I'm trying to take the basic design principles for normal COH2 maps and modify them to suit it. Longer ranges means things can look slightly more realistic and less gamey/compact, and the single-player aspect means that it should favor the player/soviet side.
19 Jan 2018, 16:56 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2018, 10:49 AMLugie

The 700x800 is the base map size. The actual playable zone is a bit smaller, probably somewhere around 640 x 700. It is technically a 2v2, but really its a 1v1. The second players on both sides are mostly there for flavor units. Once I get the map filled out, I'll post a WIP version on the workshop for testing. Feel free to msg me for a incomplete version though.

Since its a single-player map made for a mod, I'm trying to take the basic design principles for normal COH2 maps and modify them to suit it. Longer ranges means things can look slightly more realistic and less gamey/compact, and the single-player aspect means that it should favor the player/soviet side.

Don't forget that you need an "interactivity stage" layer, with a minimum of 32 meters around it available for the camera fade/ oob area. The recommended anymore is 64m just for detailing reasons. If you didn't add this your map may be a little to small. Other than that it sounds like you're alright.

I guess the real question is, what do you need help with?
19 Jan 2018, 17:59 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2018, 16:56 PMTric

Don't forget that you need an "interactivity stage" layer, with a minimum of 32 meters around it available for the camera fade/ oob area. The recommended anymore is 64m just for detailing reasons. If you didn't add this your map may be a little to small. Other than that it sounds like you're alright.

I guess the real question is, what do you need help with?

Aye, I did that as-well. I think I set it to 46 or something around that. What I need help with is coming up with decently balanced detailing, like I stated in the post.I've currently filled out the section on the soviet/small side of the river, but still need some ideas for the land above that.
19 Jan 2018, 21:54 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Do you have a reference and/or screens you can share?
20 Jan 2018, 19:24 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2018, 21:54 PMTric
Do you have a reference and/or screens you can share?

Aye, I can give you all the info, Send me a private message, I would rather not spoil the whole map for everyone.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★