Login

russian armor

Too many players left...

PAGES (11)down
14 Aug 2013, 07:02 AM

Between the massive balance issues which have been discussed for months, and the absolutely dead meta because of those balance issues, people are going to play less.

I know I have. In beta I played easily 2-6 hours a day, and sometimes 8. Open beta I pretty much stopped in the last 2 weeks, simply because the balance wasn't being fixed. As a result, I watched the forums and waited to buy. I finally saw it on sale for $40 on GMG, and bought it. I played a good 6 hours a day for the first week, got into 2v2.... and then stopped.

The meta is DEAD. Every game is almost identical; there's no creativity because the balance is so bad that there CAN'T be creativity.

A friend put it pretty bluntly: "[As Germans], If I know you're NOT going to build SU85s, I'll win". It's true. That's the ONLY thing keeping Russians afloat right now. They HAVE to build SU85s. Everything else is junk.

2v2 meta is literally always snipers, guards, T70, SU85. EVERY game. You never see T34s, T34-85s, IS-2s, or any of that stuff. An SU-76 is rare.

Meanwhile germans MUST build to counter that, which pretty much means early MG, T2 rush, P4 rush.

14 Aug 2013, 07:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2013, 13:05 PMSpanky

If i remember correctly, you were a Brit player. No wonder you don't like CoH2. :(

If I remember correctly, you were a massively overrated player. No wonder you like CoH2 as it allows for mediocre players to win every game by doing the EXACT same thing EVERY single game.
14 Aug 2013, 07:25 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2013, 06:25 AMAbdul

Since you met Relic, did the developer team responsible for the first COH change allot? Particularly the directors, did they all get replaced or is it still pretty much the same team?

I don't really know that much about the staff team they have or have had, I just made acquaintances with some of the Relic employees over the years but not more than that.
14 Aug 2013, 07:32 AM

If I remember correctly, you were a massively overrated player. No wonder you like CoH2 as it allows for mediocre players to win every game by doing the EXACT same thing EVERY single game.

so when are you gonna leave the game and the forums?
14 Aug 2013, 09:47 AM

so when are you gonna leave the game and the forums?

As soon as you make me?
Two
14 Aug 2013, 10:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2013, 03:21 AMSepha

Not sure about others but I stopped using vCoH's chat rooms a long time ago, this multi player community evolved well beyond using the online chat rooms to communicate with each other, plus the fact that steam is a much better tool to keep track of your friends with, which doesn't require an online chat system like the original did. Plus you can even make group discussions within steam anyway and yet despite all this, Relic still say they are considering implementing a decent chat system into the game.

You what? How do you meet new "friends" if there isnt a chat system for meeting? Steam is fine if you already have all your friends added or know where to go to find other players on it, but how are new players ment to do this? Spend the entire game chatting with 1 person instead of playing?

If it wasnt for GR and the chat lobby you wouldnt know half of the people on your friend list. And i bet you dont talk to 90% of your friend list, where as if there was a chat lobby you could talk to everyone in the game and possibly meet new people.
14 Aug 2013, 10:32 AM

I think we could just setup a IRC room.
14 Aug 2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

You state facts that i feel are about you.
"allows for mediocre players to win every game by doing the EXACT same thing EVERY single game" - British faction gameplay.

Anyway, i wasn't a massively overrated player, i was just an average player who got to lvl 16 with 3 factions. But i had the knowledge to beat good players, if that is what you meant by overrated. If you feel you want to continue, then please, lets do it in the PM.
14 Aug 2013, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2013, 10:08 AMTwo
If it wasnt for GR and the chat lobby you wouldnt know half of the people on your friend list. And i bet you dont talk to 90% of your friend list, where as if there was a chat lobby you could talk to everyone in the game and possibly meet new people.

I cant say the average conversation in the GR chat was filled with people I would want to add to my steam friend list...
14 Aug 2013, 10:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2013, 10:35 AMSpanky

You state facts that i feel are about you.
"allows for mediocre players to win every game by doing the EXACT same thing EVERY single game" - British faction gameplay.

Anyway, i wasn't a massively overrated player, i was just an average player who got to lvl 16 with 3 factions. But i had the knowledge to beat good players, if that is what you meant by overrated. If you feel you want to continue, then please, lets do it in the PM.

Hey, you started it, so how about you fuck off? Cheers.
14 Aug 2013, 10:47 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Two
14 Aug 2013, 11:11 AM

I cant say the average conversation in the GR chat was filled with people I would want to add to my steam friend list...

It used to be, until a certain patch made it the default chat room, when it used to be omaha if i remember correctly, was so long ago. And even then there were some people you would want to add.
14 Aug 2013, 13:50 PM

s but I stopped using vCoH's chat rooms a long time ago, this multi player community evolved well beyond using the online chat rooms to communicate with each other

Relevant word in bold.

You didn't start off like that. The community developed. CoH2 != vCoH. CoH2 needed its time to develop the community before things like chat rooms weren't a huge deal anymore. It didn't have that.
14 Aug 2013, 14:30 PM

Permanently Banned
There is a chat.

The CoH2.org Steam group chatroom.

Use it peeps!
14 Aug 2013, 14:59 PM

Leaderboards are coming! See guys, all in due time.
14 Aug 2013, 17:13 PM

Leaderboards are coming! See guys, all in due time.

Yep...a leaderboard that you can't view in game at all and have to log on to some obscure, unofficially connected web forum that is visited by approximately 0.00001% of COH 2 owners.

I can see that's going to be an instant hit...:rolleyes:

7 years of experience doesn't equate to 7 years of game development, you can't simply apply 7 years of post-game support and patches to CoH2 that had a smaller development time and has barely been out for 2 months. Take into consideration also that if certain features and mechanics in the game are too similar too the original then they run the risk of the game not being unique enough, on the flip side the less the game is like the original, the more development and risk that is going to take so there has to be a balance.

Sepha - if I were talking about the more advanced elements such as Commanders or Unit Balance etc - then you might have a leg to stand on in regards to that point of view - but I wasn't even taking my discussion that far as even the most basic of elements are so poor in this game that you simply can't excuse it. The multiplayer is a complete farce.

If you've done something for SEVEN YEARS - and then went and started a new project that was HEAVILY RELIANT on what you'd done in those 7 years....and went on to produce COH2...which essentially overlooks most of the benefits of those 7 years, and we're talking non unit/balance, just pure matchmaking/online mechanics.....especially when you're using THE SAME P2P mechanics from those previous 7 years, I don't think you can argue that what you did before with COH1 wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't have been considered as day 1 basics for COH2.
14 Aug 2013, 17:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I'm aware of lack of vcoh features on coh2's release, Relic are aware of it and anyone who is concerned about such things is aware of that since before the game was even released. The results of that will show in the amount of copies sold and in consumers eyes Relic will lose a bit of reputation for not providing such things at launch. There's a difference between something being overlooked and prioritizing.

If you think the game is a farce and you don't like playing it you obviously just don't like the game much so just have fun playing something else instead.
14 Aug 2013, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2013, 14:30 PMNullist
There is a chat.

The CoH2.org Steam group chatroom.

Use it peeps!

That's no good at all.
14 Aug 2013, 18:27 PM

Honestly, the critics are right, the meta is boring. Are Soviets going to make KV-8s or just guards and SU-85s? Maybe an ISU...lol. Will Axis make a Pak43 or Elefant or bring out a tiger? Woo, lot of variety there.

There were many more interesting combinations on the Axis side in COH1 due to the commanders and veterancy system...Blitz/T3, T1-T4, T2 Terror, T2 Defensive, vetted support + vet paks/vehicles (to stuka spam), vetted inf + super tanks, any of the other combinations + T4 units or just more infantry...

TBH the US side was not nearly as interesting as US had fewer combinations, but the ones they had were very potent. Still even the 3 US commanders granted more variety to the meta than the current Soviet commanders do.

Thus COH1 had a lot more depth than this one. I think some of us can see now how the Axis veterancy system in COH1, flawed as it is, gave Axis a delightful and deep array of strategic and tactical gameplay options. The complexity of the Wehrmacht gave COH1 its astonishing depth in my opinion.

14 Aug 2013, 18:43 PM

Honestly, the critics are right, the meta is boring. Are Soviets going to make KV-8s or just guards and SU-85s? Maybe an ISU...lol. Will Axis make a Pak43 or Elefant or bring out a tiger? Woo, lot of variety there.

There were many more interesting combinations on the Axis side due to the commanders and veterancy system...Blitz/T3, T1-T4, T2 Terror, T2 Defensive, vetted support + vet paks/vehicles (to stuka spam), vetted inf + super tanks, any of the other combinations + T4 units or just more infantry...

TBH the US side was not nearly as interesting as US had fewer combinations, but the ones they had were very potent. Still even the 3 US commanders granted more variety to the meta than the current Soviet commanders do.

Thus COH1 had a lot more depth than this one. I think some of us can see now how the Axis veterancy system in COH1, flawed as it is, gave Axis a delightful and deep array of strategic and tactical gameplay options. The complexity of the Wehrmacht gave COH1 its astonishing depth in my opinion.

You've addressed the elephant in the room. This is CoH2s real problem, forget lack of leaderboards/bugs/balance/UI. There simply isn't enough choice or variation to merit calling it "good" strategy game.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 63
Germany 19
unknown 17

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %