Login

russian armor

Examples of other campaigns done well - COH2 Survey

21 Nov 2017, 01:22 AM

I finally got my email survey (yay!).

I really want to do the section on other campaigns done well credit though, and I'm having trouble remembering other good RTS campaigns and what they did well.

I found the COH1 campaigns extremely satisfying and played them multiple times, so I know the COH2 campaign could have been better, even if I'm not completely sure why. So far my entire response basically revolves around COH1.

So in the interests of helping to remind me and other survey takers of what they've played in the past, what great campaign gameplay and moments do you recall that could inform our feedback in this survey?

Cheers
21 Nov 2017, 08:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I'm basically writing "make it like Close Combat. Get rid of scripted missions. Lots of small, dynamic campaigns."
21 Nov 2017, 08:32 AM

Red Alert 2 had good campaigns.
21 Nov 2017, 09:14 AM
Donator 11

I actually find ardennes assault to be one of the best rts campaigns. Other than that world in conflict (with soviet add on), supreme commander, starcraft 1 & 2. That would be my top.
21 Nov 2017, 12:20 PM

codename panzers had a german campaign which was very well done --> so it is possible
21 Nov 2017, 15:25 PM

Command and conquer series was actually pretty good campaign wise. I still kind of enjoy the campiness of Red Alert 1.
21 Nov 2017, 15:27 PM

World in conflict also had nice campagins and cutscenes
21 Nov 2017, 16:33 PM
Senior Editor Badge

21 Nov 2017, 18:13 PM

Storytelling
Age Of Mythology definatley hit the mark spot from a storytelling perspective

-Very much a journey you take with the characters as they try to figure out whats going on and how to do right
-Well developed charachters
-Plot was interesting

-Good gameplay with 3 factions. Multiple mission types ect.

Also Starcraft 2 was AMAZING from the story telling perspective, but that had already been mentioned.

DOW 1 had a pretty good story arc as well, simiar to AOM

Definately would like to go on a journey with the protaganists

GAMEPLAY
Diffuculty definately has to be there. Most recent relic campaigns have been super easy, DOW2 retribution, ardennes, Coh2 still crashes on me so ig that ones hardest :snfQuinn:

Stronghold crusader extreme trail was super difficult and a lot of fun as a result. Pretty much impossible at some points but that makes you more invested in the outcome rather than a cakewalk.

21 Nov 2017, 23:10 PM

I'm basically writing "make it like Close Combat. Get rid of scripted missions. Lots of small, dynamic campaigns."

Interesting, because I leaned the other way. I found that the AI in Ardennes Assault was its biggest flaw. The enemy seemed to just float around uselessly, whereas strategically implemented scripts can help inject a feel of an intelligent human opponent, or dramatic moments. That said, it's very easy to do scripts poorly.
22 Nov 2017, 02:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2017, 23:10 PMCyanara

Interesting, because I leaned the other way. I found that the AI in Ardennes Assault was its biggest flaw. The enemy seemed to just float around uselessly, whereas strategically implemented scripts can help inject a feel of an intelligent human opponent, or dramatic moments. That said, it's very easy to do scripts poorly.

What I would consider as a more recent proponent of dynamic missions would be Ultimate General: Gettysburg, which as it implies takes place on the American Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg with the potential for the combat acting pretty much like the actual battle or not. The AI works hard to take advantage of sight-blockers, terrain, focus-firing, and I think they claimed there's no AI difficulty stat boosting (there is an honest option to turn on an AI stat boost for extra difficulty, though). There is like, 5 unit types though with fairly simple factors for their distinctions, though.
22 Nov 2017, 23:54 PM

I did think of that. It helped that it in no way took itself seriously, whereas COH doesn't have that option. But it did share similarities in that practically every unit was important and valuable, with clearly defined roles.
27 Nov 2017, 05:29 AM

Permanently Banned
Loved Ardennes Assault. Definitely one of my favorite RTS campaigns off the top of my head.

I remember liking SC2's Wings of Liberty Camapign despite not being a fan of the gameplay (not bad, just not my preference. CoH has spoiled RTS games for me) which means the campaign polish and structure was just so well done that i can overlook the gameplay style.

Wargame European Escalation had some really challenging scripted campaigns.

Wargame Airland Battle had a promising campaign map with interesting decisions you can make.

If they do a dynamic campaign, I definitely think they should take inspirations from Wagame Airland Battle

Strategic Map, Persistency, Call In Units, Make Difficult Event Decisions, and more.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2
unknown 2
unknown 50
United States 35
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L