Login

russian armor

StarCraft II go F2P, should Coh2 be free 2 play too?

Should CoH2 be free to play?
Option Distribution Votes
62%
38%
Total votes: 52
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
3 Nov 2017, 18:47 PM

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

We recognize that you might have found your way here after hearing the news that StarCraft II is going free-to-play very soon—on November 14, to be exact. Curious what that actually means? We know “free-to-play” can mean a lot of things for different games, but we’re here to assure you that when we say that we’re making StarCraft II free-to-play, we really mean it.

Starting November 14, you’ll have free access to the original Wings of Liberty single-player campaign and every Co-op Commander, and will be able to unlock access to StarCraft II’s competitive multiplayer content for free.
3 Nov 2017, 18:51 PM

I'v been saying for years CoH2 should go free to play. Hell the game is practically set up for that already with supply drops. Make Soviets/Ostheer free and the other factions cost money to play.

Though some commanders at the moment may as well be pay to win for certain factions.
3 Nov 2017, 19:17 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I also thought that CoH2 should go free to play, with players who already owned the game getting some sort of compensation. I personally think that having the game go free to play could expand the player base quite a bit, and I would think (not that my estimation is worth much) that theyd make more off of the increased commander/skin sales than they would from the few copies of the game that are being purchased at this point.
3 Nov 2017, 20:00 PM
Donator 11

I'd be okay with it at this point.
3 Nov 2017, 21:09 PM
Patrion 14

Absolutely.

More players -> better matchmaking.

More players -> potentially additional revenue for relic -> potentially more support for the game.

I got more than my money's worth at this point :D
3 Nov 2017, 21:16 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

While Company of Heroes 2 would make since if it was went to free to play for the Soviets and Ostheer. This reminds me how people feared the worst with CnC Generals 2 when they announced for a F2P model. A bit off topic.
3 Nov 2017, 21:36 PM
Donator 11

If they were going to make coh2 free to play, last thing they should do is giving only sov and ost for free. The player should always have a choice of what he plays and every faction should cost almost the same, even if the same means they are all free. Otherwise faction ballance in automatch is going to get screwed.

What they could do is going in sc2 path: release game for free but not for automatch for example. Or just give all factions for free but don't let free players get supply when they play factions they didn't pay for, so that they have to pay for commanders instead.

In sc2, as a non paying player, you will only be able to play ranked matches after playing 10 [sic] non-ranked matches before on that day.
3 Nov 2017, 21:47 PM

I know how free weekends goes. F2p is good for WoT and other, but with CoH I'll be okay once CoH3 will be released
3 Nov 2017, 21:55 PM

Not before coh1, imo.

But I think it'd be more of an incentive to DLC though. No idea what the DLC sales look like compared to game sales.

Full price game and a ton of DLC closed my wallet to COH since tiger ace release.
4 Nov 2017, 00:17 AM

What should have been is that you Get Ost and Soviets for free, and the campaign as an addon, as well as the other Armies and Ardennes Assault.

I basically think that the base game was done wrong along with all of the DLC, the later Army additions were done better.

Since for example I barely play Soviets, Wehrmacht and USF but I really like OKW and UKF.

And then there's the DLC to further fuel the economy of the game.

But I guess Relic's sale managers are smarter than me...
4 Nov 2017, 04:38 AM

If they do a F2P, it should only be for the single player version. Every time they have a F2P weekend, people load up multiplayer without even knowing how to build tiers and then expect other players to tell them how to build stuff. Make single player comp stomps be F2P, but have campaigns and automatch be paid add-ons.
11 Nov 2017, 05:13 AM

I don't see any reason not to do f2p at this point. How many people are really buying the game as is at this point? Obviously I don't have access to Relic's sales data, but I imagine that sales have peaked at this point. Expanding the playerbase sounds like a win-win in my opinion.
11 Nov 2017, 08:11 AM

No need to do f2p, but give tools to create mods maybe for money.
11 Nov 2017, 14:48 PM

Or as EffenNewbie said, do like StarCraft 2, no automatches or you need to earn it, only Comp Stomps, single or Co-Op, no Theater of War missions and no Campaign.

If you want single player content you gotta pay.

Also you start dry on credits, only default/vanilla commanders, and you gotta make your way up there with the commanders and skins.
11 Nov 2017, 14:57 PM

If they just make it F2P with no extra measures (like Starcraft II is doing), it will be a shitstorm of maphaxxors. Let's not forget that Blizzard is actively supporting SC2 and it's a huge game with tons of players and somewhat regular updates. Relic could not dedicate even 1% of the anti-cheating effort that Blizzard can.

Apart from that, new players would be most welcome at this stage.
11 Nov 2017, 15:51 PM

f2p means an endless amount of chinese hackers.

HF with it
12 Nov 2017, 10:37 AM

I think the last thing we need is more players that complain about balance issues on steam and these forums.

Let's not begin about the horror that will become automatch with new players on your side(or the opponents).
12 Nov 2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

OKW has been given away free multiple times.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 16
Germany 4
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak