Login

russian armor

Another way to Design the next Coh game

20 Oct 2017, 07:17 AM

I don't really understand why the next COH edition should follow a period pattern. Every time I read someone talking about what would be the next COH, this is about North Africa or Japan or China (recently heard about) or whatever period of war.

In my opinion, this way of designing a RTS game with such a big period scale is out of date. Relic should take inspiration not from their past titles but what other successful companies are doing using WW1, WW2 and Korea war as game background. For example World of Tank or War Thunder.

The base game shouldn't be stuck in a period of war but build around a set of units per army. Let say for example a set of American, German and Soviet units, this may represent 50/60 units per factions (removing redondant units).
Build different single player/cooperative scenarios (some for the game launch some other DLCs) around those units on a defined time period and a specific location. African, Italy, Early Barbarossa launch, Stalinegrad etc... With some dedicated rewards (faceplate kind, camouflage, goodies such as windows themes etc...)
Build a multiplayer mode with on one side an official matchmaking system based on a predetermined set of units and commanders with a Lobby, a ranking system etc on which Relic would focus his attention for maximum balance. And another side where players could decide to use different set of units from defined period of the war, early 41 or Italy campaign units theme, North African campaign unit theme etc... where people could simply play for fun or build their own tournament.

This way of building a game has the advantage of being evolutive, you add modules to your base structure, in a form of DLC (free or behind a paywall) and players just pickup what they like or need. If one day Relic feel the need to add a China war theme, they can just build Japan and China armies theme and add them as a DLC module. Players could use them in multiplayer for fun but not in the official lobby if the balance is impossible.
And then why not a new module for the Korea war...

So everyone is happy
20 Oct 2017, 14:39 PM

Another way of designing a CoH or DoW game is to listen to their fucking community instead of going off and mashing Warhammer 40000 with Starcraft 2 and a MOBA.
20 Oct 2017, 14:43 PM

I like how you think outside of the box. However, you forget that these games you took as an example, are free to play games with p2w dlc (tanks, planes etc). An initial launch will never bring the diversity you want, which means constant patches and content added.

Since Relic can't just drop a game out of the blue and start adding new units, they need to ask a price at launch for it. Unfortunately, this will most likely be something in the region of 40-60 dollars. Nobody will accept a 40-60 dollar multiplayer game with an initial skeleton unit setup that will be expanded in time for more $$.

20 Oct 2017, 14:49 PM

I guess you can deliver the base game with some content and price it around half the price of a full game.
20 Oct 2017, 15:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2017, 14:49 PMEsxile
I guess you can deliver the base game with some content and price it around half the price of a full game.

How will that sound in a board room meeting lol?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Germany 37

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment