Login

russian armor

For curiosity.. what could be next?

17 Oct 2017, 22:43 PM

So, I dont think we will get a CoH 3, but if we had and it was WW2, what would it focus on ?

I mean we had almost everything in CoH and CoH2, what could be the theme for CoH3 ?
17 Oct 2017, 23:01 PM

Mediterranean and Middle East theatre? Early in the war, Invasion of Poland and Battle of France? Without major changes to the CoH gameplay I dont think the Pacific could work. Same for Modern Warfare, maybe they could make it work for Cold War? Vietnam or Korea? WW1 is also an option I guess...
17 Oct 2017, 23:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Oct 2017, 23:01 PMkorgoth
Mediterranean and Middle East theatre? Early in the war, Invasion of Poland and Battle of France? Without major changes to the CoH gameplay I dont think the Pacific could work. Same for Modern Warfare, maybe they could make it work for Cold War? Vietnam or Korea? WW1 is also an option I guess...

I was talking if it was WW2, ofc there are other sets the game could go. Yeah those scenarios could be in it
18 Oct 2017, 00:01 AM

I think there is definitely the capacity for early war, african theatre, and the pacific.

But I think it would depend on separating each theatre so you didn't have a Japanese faction fighting Brits in Russia.

Italy v Commonwealth contained to a matchup.

Japan v US Marines contained to a matchup.

Germany v Comintern contained to a matchup.

Germany v Allies contained to a matchup.

I would love to see a CoH3 take a storytelling approach to the whole conflict of WW2 in separate takes.

I think the craziest, but feasible, approach would be a sort of Allies v Axis v Comintern scenario if historical storytelling takes a backseat.

All that said, I would enjoy CoH3 to be a stable, accessible, and balanced matchup between two sides. If there's gonna be more than 2 factions in a match, they should all be designed from day 1, not post-launch additions.
18 Oct 2017, 07:42 AM

Pacific theatre could easily work gameplay wise. Sure some of it took part on islands, but that isn't a big deal since CoH maps are so small anyway. There were plenty of larger land campaigns (e.g. Guadalcanal, Burma Campaign, Okinawa etc.). A Japanese army could also work, provided devs and players are prepared to let go of bayonet charges and suicide bomb memes. Alongside US, Brits and to a lesser extent Russians could also easily be included.

However there are two main problems with a pacific focus. First, I doubt SEGA would be too keen on the idea. Second, is there is less cool kit to play with. This is the same problem with an early-war or Africa campaign. Who wants to use Matildas and P3s and miss out on Tigers, MG42s and Fireflys? Players want that stuff, and if it's not in the release sooner or later it will come in DLC doctrines, which leads to power creep and demand for other factions to have stronger units to counter it.

That said, one way around this would be a more infantry-focused game with varied and customisable (visually and tactically) squads. It would also need updated animations and visual effects so infantry combat is more exciting to watch. I think consumers would go for it with the right kind of marketing, and perhaps a release timed to roughly coincide with the next big WW2 film/TV series.

The alternative would, as others have suggested before, to do an alternate history late 1940s WW3 with Western allies vs USSR vs German Remnants. The big challenges here would be cast the premise in such a way that is neither too campy nor too grimdark.

Ultimately though speculating about CoH3 doesn't seem like a very productive endeavour. Making games is such a large endeavour, and making truly great games requires so many things to go right. I think the reality is that the Relic just isn't what it used to be. Whether it's because people have moved on, because the culture has changed, or something else, the Relic of today isn't the same one that worked on CoH more than a decade ago. I think the development cycle of CoH2 clearly demonstrates that. For every amazing design aspect, there's another that is a painfully obvious bad idea. As much as I'd love to see an awesome CoH3 three, I just don't see it happening. I think the real time strategy/tactics genre still has a lot of potential, bud I don't think CoH is going to be the dominating force moving forward.
18 Oct 2017, 08:07 AM

I am 99% sure that there will be a COH 3. It will be awhile (because of Age of Empires 4) but it will happen.

About the scenario, Africa is untouched and Europe still has many scenarios (Italy, France, German campaign ).
As for the pacific, most people say that its not possible, so i don't know if it could be done.
18 Oct 2017, 08:29 AM

we always see late eastern and western front in movies and games, i would like to see the start of the german campaing from poland to france, including the norway, dutch and the other campaings, from both sides, germans and the other european countries
18 Oct 2017, 14:11 PM

Based on surveys going around, it would seem as though Relic is thinking about a new COH.

I'd like to see things around Pacific Island story in the sense of Ardennes Assault. There could be a mode where you can jump from island to island, trying to take control of a certain number of Pacific islands.

Africa would be neat as well. I'd just love to see some desert maps and tropical maps.
18 Oct 2017, 15:16 PM

I would like to see a post world war 2 scenario. NATO vs WARSAW. With units from post war Germany serving both sides implemented some how.

I would like to see a game that has balance designers who actually know what game they are balancing, so we don’t have another British release, or war industry/elite troops, that had obvious signs relic only cared about money and had no actual fuck on what they are doing.

I would like to see a game that is well coded, great optimization, doesn’t require a computer to run effectively that cost 3,000USD and is 5 years ahead of its time.

I sure as FUCK don’t want to see a 5 year plan. That tells me that relic is going to take 5 years to complete balancing and to get the game in a “completed state” basically taking 5 years to do something that can be done in half the time but hey, gotta keep them employed right?

A blobbing penalty, maybe a received accuracy increase, a moving speed penalty, or a accuracy decrease of the units themselves. And please no sim city of any sort. Static gameplay is terrible. Keep that for the comp stomp noobs.

Oh and a better PR department, someone other than Kyle who stops by every 90 days to say something stupid. He thinks he’s funny but he’s not. The only people who likes him are ass kissers. Who are blind to what kind of appearance that actually is.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight