Login

russian armor

How does smoke work?

4 Aug 2013, 17:21 PM

I kind of have a sense of how the smoke grande works on German tanks, but it seems sometimes it doesn't work. Normally when smoke is released people firing at you can't see you anymore and you cant see them with your tank. If someone follows you and gets into the smoke they can't see anything. But sometimes it seems the smoke doesn't stop them from firing at you and you keep getting hit, why?

Also, I understand the mortar smoke is the same, but how exactly does it work? Like practically speaking, how does one use it to help his offensive or defensive move?
4 Aug 2013, 17:46 PM

Smoke is a sight blocker. so if there is smoke between your tank and an enemy tank the enemy cant see and thus not shoot you. However, if the enemy has another unit, for example next to your tank, he still has vision on your tank, so every enemy unit can still shoot at it.

Also if your tank is obscured by smoke, but shoots at a unit it gets showed and thus is vulnerable again to enemy fire i think. So that's another reason why every unit should have hold fire mode.
4 Aug 2013, 17:51 PM

Imo smoke should also be an accuracy debuff for units shooting through it just like in coh1. The coh2 true sight sometimes doesn't make sense :(
VRL
4 Aug 2013, 19:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2013, 17:21 PMAbdul
But sometimes it seems the smoke doesn't stop them from firing at you and you keep getting hit, why?

Some players use Attack Ground - and an approximation of where their enemy is to attack tanks through smoke. Essentially "Shooting blind with an idea of where to point"

This is particularly useful on vehicles that have damaged engines.
4 Aug 2013, 19:04 PM
Donator 11

i like the new smoke, its much better than in coh1 by far!
maybe its a little to cheap for Pz4, because saving your tank for 15 munis is too easy, but this is balance
4 Aug 2013, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2013, 19:04 PMVRL

Some players use Attack Ground

That is a workaround, but it seems to have a lot of inconsistencies. I have seen units not shoot through it even if their was sight via another unit. I have also seen my units continue shooting at vehicles after they popped smoke, because even though they were inside the no sight zone, it was still revealed (like when a unit shows in the fog of war because it is firing).
5 Aug 2013, 01:33 AM

However, if the enemy has another unit, for example next to your tank, he still has vision on your tank, so every enemy unit can still shoot at it.

I think this explains it. Now I can understand the inconsistency in smoke effect.
5 Aug 2013, 01:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2013, 19:04 PMVRL

Some players use Attack Ground - and an approximation of where their enemy is to attack tanks through smoke. Essentially "Shooting blind with an idea of where to point"

This is particularly useful on vehicles that have damaged engines.

yea I can see this working on tanks with damaged engines but often my tank gets hit while retreating fast without any engine damage. I think the reason mentioned above makes sense.
5 Aug 2013, 01:36 AM

You know what I see too much? Stationary vehicles (ATGs especially, okay it's not a vehicle but still) missing.

I'd rather see ATGs sniping infantry a bit more and not missing so much than the current state of it.
5 Aug 2013, 01:37 AM

How about mortar smoke, how can I use it to help my offensive/defensive maneuvers?
5 Aug 2013, 09:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Aug 2013, 01:37 AMAbdul
How about mortar smoke, how can I use it to help my offensive/defensive maneuvers?

Offensively, you can use it on an enemy elephant or su85, so your units (tanks, atgs) can get close without being fired upon. Also, on a slow unit like an elephant you can use attack ground from a distance into the smoke to damage it safely.

In infantry combat you can use it to help you flank of course. Or do a smoke barrage on a patch of deep snow to protect your infantry while its slowly moving through the snow into the action.

Defensively, you can use smoke on the retreat path of your units to protect them. For example, your tank gets a damaged engine and an enemy atg pops up. Do a smoke barrage just behind your reversing tank (to compensate for the delay) to protect it from the atg.
6 Aug 2013, 22:23 PM

Offensively, you can use it on an enemy elephant or su85, so your units (tanks, atgs) can get close without being fired upon. Also, on a slow unit like an elephant you can use attack ground from a distance into the smoke to damage it safely.

In infantry combat you can use it to help you flank of course. Or do a smoke barrage on a patch of deep snow to protect your infantry while its slowly moving through the snow into the action.

Defensively, you can use smoke on the retreat path of your units to protect them. For example, your tank gets a damaged engine and an enemy atg pops up. Do a smoke barrage just behind your reversing tank (to compensate for the delay) to protect it from the atg.

Thanks, interesting ideas, so any unit that is in the smoke can't see or be seen, that's why you suggest dropping smoke on enemy elephant .
6 Aug 2013, 22:54 PM

There is also a cover type called smoke. It significantly reduces accuracy and nearly eliminates suppression for most weapons (effects may vary by weapon or weapon type).

I don't know whether you have to be inside the smoke for it to work, though... in CoH1 it was enough for a unit to fire through smoke to receive the modifiers. So it often was more effective using smoke on or near an enemy MG than using it on/near your own troops.
7 Aug 2013, 22:43 PM

There is also a cover type called smoke. It significantly reduces accuracy and nearly eliminates suppression for most weapons (effects may vary by weapon or weapon type).

I don't know whether you have to be inside the smoke for it to work, though... in CoH1 it was enough for a unit to fire through smoke to receive the modifiers. So it often was more effective using smoke on or near an enemy MG than using it on/near your own troops.

I can see that working too. Using the shock troops i usually throw the smoke grande as close as possible in front of the mg, very soon it will stop firing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 66
Poland 9
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak