Login

russian armor

When should I opt for snipers over mortars?

9 Aug 2017, 16:10 PM

Yea I'm just wondering this. I mean what do snipers do, that mortars can't? And what do mortars do that snipers can't? Seems to me that the smoke ability of the mortar makes it a lot more useful, is that just me?
9 Aug 2017, 16:23 PM
Donator 11

Snipers can't be taken by the enemy and used against you
9 Aug 2017, 17:27 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Sniper: Only one kill at the time. Mortar: Can have multiple kills in one moment.
Sniper: Requires a lot of micro. Mortar: Doesn't require micro.
Sniper: Can kill a specific model you want to kill (the gunner of an mg). Mortar: rng based of what he hits.

Sniper on open long range maps.
You can always make a mortar tbh.

A bit useful? :D
9 Aug 2017, 17:38 PM

If you are playing as Soviets, always sniper
As Brits, it is more situation dependant, sniper against player who dont blob and use cover, or against Leig spammer, mortar against the opposite
9 Aug 2017, 19:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Snipers fill more of a harassment role compared to mortars and force a more targeted response.

If you're using an HMG and the enemy is shelling it with a mortar, you just relocate it and set it up again. Against a sniper, you either have to retreat your HMG or force away the sniper somehow.

If you're capturing a point and a mortar opens up on you, you just move to the other side of the capture point to avoid all of the shots. A sniper would instead continue picking off models, making you decide between giving up some models to capture the point, trying to rush the sniper, or retreating because neither option is available or favorable.

My point is that using a sniper forces a different (and often more difficult, risky, and/or costly) kind of counterplay out of your opponent, and is a reliable way of bleeding your opponents manpower. Mortars mostly just force your opponent out of static play.
9 Aug 2017, 22:06 PM

In my experience (both using them and playing against them) well micro'd ostheer snipers are really good against usf since they often harass the usf player into overextending whether with rifles or an M20/stuart (stuart sucks against snipers now though) and will bled the enemy like hell in the process. Snipers aren't as good as mortars for teamgames though.
11 Aug 2017, 09:12 AM

Before even discussing this, you must consider if you are skilled enough to use a sniper.

Anyone can use a mortar with some degree of effeciency, whereas a sniper takes a lot more handling and skill to use effectively.

As a rule of thumb, if you cannot consistently get 15 kills with a sniper, you are not able to use them cost effectively.

Overall I would say that the two units are so different that any real comparison is a bit strange. they are neither mutually exclusive nor dependant on each other and both can be used to effectively support you on the battlefield.
18 Aug 2017, 01:53 AM

Before even discussing this, you must consider if you are skilled enough to use a sniper.

Anyone can use a mortar with some degree of effeciency, whereas a sniper takes a lot more handling and skill to use effectively.

As a rule of thumb, if you cannot consistently get 15 kills with a sniper, you are not able to use them cost effectively.

Overall I would say that the two units are so different that any real comparison is a bit strange. they are neither mutually exclusive nor dependant on each other and both can be used to effectively support you on the battlefield.

Haha, "skilled enough to use a sniper". My sniper micro is godly. It use to be really good in the COH1 days when you needed to wait for the sniper to reveal himself and then you unclicked holdfire.

I got 14,000+ hours in COH2 and COH1 combined, pretty sure my sniper micro is ok.
18 Aug 2017, 05:07 AM

They're different but if you try to have both at once you are probably going to have a lack of mainline infantry that will probably make things much harder. They also both fill the long range support role, just in different ways.
20 Aug 2017, 17:25 PM

Haha, "skilled enough to use a sniper". My sniper micro is godly. It use to be really good in the COH1 days when you needed to wait for the sniper to reveal himself and then you unclicked holdfire.

I got 14,000+ hours in COH2 and COH1 combined, pretty sure my sniper micro is ok.

I didn't mean this as any sort of criticism :) Players from all skill levels come to this thread and I didn't look up your stats before writing, so I had no conditions for assessing your skill level.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★