Login

russian armor

Luftwaffe doctrine. Help me understand the appeal.

2 Aug 2017, 13:05 PM

As I've been unable to play in my holiday, I've saturated my thirst for the game by watching quite a few casts and it seems to me that the luftwaffe doctrine is all the rage in high level games.

I must admit that I struggle to see the appeal of this compared to some of the other OKW commanders available.

Don't get me wong, the fallschirmjaegers seem great, but OKW already has a lot of great infantry at hand, both doctrinal and not, and other that this, the doctrine seems to be somewhat lacking.

The cheap recon sweep is always nice I suppose and the valiant assault seem nice if you're ever at a point as OKW where you can spare 100 munis. I haven't seen anyone use the heavy fortifications and the airborne assault seems to be way overpriced for what it does.

So is is primarily for the versatile beind-enemy-lines assault of the falls that I should pick this doctrine? Or are these guys just so much better that it is worth spending a whole doctrine on getting them, rather than volks, obers, fusiliers or some other thing at my disposal?

29 Aug 2017, 09:10 AM

In my opinion and experience with this commander, this is bit of a all around commander, thought its somewhat lacking. Recon grants support, heavy fortifications grants limited defensive capabilities and valiant assault and falls grant some attacking power. Im not sure how people think about it competetively, but this is just my opinion
29 Aug 2017, 09:26 AM

As I've been unable to play in my holiday, I've saturated my thirst for the game by watching quite a few casts and it seems to me that the luftwaffe doctrine is all the rage in high level games.

I must admit that I struggle to see the appeal of this compared to some of the other OKW commanders available.

Don't get me wong, the fallschirmjaegers seem great, but OKW already has a lot of great infantry at hand, both doctrinal and not, and other that this, the doctrine seems to be somewhat lacking.

The cheap recon sweep is always nice I suppose and the valiant assault seem nice if you're ever at a point as OKW where you can spare 100 munis. I haven't seen anyone use the heavy fortifications and the airborne assault seems to be way overpriced for what it does.

So is is primarily for the versatile beind-enemy-lines assault of the falls that I should pick this doctrine? Or are these guys just so much better that it is worth spending a whole doctrine on getting them, rather than volks, obers, fusiliers or some other thing at my disposal?

Depends on the game mode you play, map and enemy playstyle. Its more useful in lower team modes like 1v1 or 2v2 than in 3v3 or 4v4, because in the previous ones infantry plays a little bigger role. Maps play important role because you need a buildings to make fallschimjaegers fully useful. By enemy playstyle I mean what does he use? Is it maxim spam, does he have a sniper etc.? Falls can be used to break enemy lines appearing behind them, wiping sniper or support weapons, retreating low hp unit. Basically its a great unit for wiping something. Sometimes you can wipe more than one unit on retreat. Fortifications are useful because it allows you to build bunkers and S mine fields to deny side points and have better map control, again very useful in 1v1. You basically deny one side with flak hq, deny other side with bunkers and mines force the enemy middle and break his lines with constant fallsh appearing behind him if he is stupid enough to leave buildings standing. Recon isnt the best but its a nice addition. Airborne assault is great for suppresing blobs around crucial points or for triple capping the enemy late game and making him panic. Valiant Assault is prertty straingforwad.
29 Aug 2017, 11:59 AM

I appreciate the feedback and as it is often the case, it has taken a match of facing fallshirmsjaegers in the hands of a skilled opponent for me to realize the destructive potential of these guys :)

Fortifications are useful because it allows you to build bunkers and S mine fields to deny side points and have better map control, again very useful in 1v1.

From your player card it is obvious that you are a much better player than me, but I have to make a correction that you seem to have mistaken the heavy fortifications ability for the field defenses. the latter makes it possible to build bunkers and s-mines, but the one in the luftwaffe doctrine makes it possible to build Tank Traps, Flak Emplacements, and Trenches. Of these I would probably mainly use the trences, as the tank traps are not the hard cover equivalent of the americans and the flak emplacement is generally cleared and captured with a single grenade, effectively turning it over to my opponent.

Overall I think I see the appeal in this doctrine as a situational option, especially in the case where you have few volks.
29 Aug 2017, 12:10 PM

in the current state of the game, fallschimjager are not that great.
very squishy, high DPS at long range but their cost to reinforce and because you can only get them at 2 cp makes them not so usefull.

At 2 cp, you are not far from luchs which is much better in an anti-infantry role and even more, your opponent also got tanks making this 4 man squishy squad easily wiped.

S-mines and bunker are much more usefull when used on choke point, and since okw often float munition you can spam them everywhere.
29 Aug 2017, 12:27 PM

I appreciate the feedback and as it is often the case, it has taken a match of facing fallshirmsjaegers in the hands of a skilled opponent for me to realize the destructive potential of these guys :)

From your player card it is obvious that you are a much better player than me, but I have to make a correction that you seem to have mistaken the heavy fortifications ability for the field defenses. the latter makes it possible to build bunkers and s-mines, but the one in the luftwaffe doctrine makes it possible to build Tank Traps, Flak Emplacements, and Trenches. Of these I would probably mainly use the trences, as the tank traps are not the hard cover equivalent of the americans and the flak emplacement is generally cleared and captured with a single grenade, effectively turning it over to my opponent.

Overall I think I see the appeal in this doctrine as a situational option, especially in the case where you have few volks.

my mistake sorry ^^ yeah these suck
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS