Login

russian armor

CoH 3 - Doctrines vs Commanders - VOTE NOW!!!

Doctrines vs Commanders
Option Distribution Votes
52%
22%
0%
27%
Total votes: 64
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
31 Jul 2017, 09:14 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Background for this poll - Relic asking for feedback between CoH1 vs CoH2 : https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/244147/coh1-vs-coh2-feedback-wanted/p1

Just for remember: Tales of Valor doctrines design

31 Jul 2017, 09:16 AM

Katitof is free now Nigo :foreveralone:

Voted WFA's due to uniqueness.
31 Jul 2017, 10:45 AM

Voted in Favor of Tales of Valor. I absolutely missed the ability to choose how I want to play in CoH2. There were more commanders, sure, but the ability to decide my playstyle even after I chose a doctrine was a lot of fun.

I don't care if some abilities are overlapping honestly. Having a Tiger in three commanders in CoH2 was nothing I felt bad about. If you'd have a ToV design with about 15 abilities you can progress, there surely would be the need for overlapping stuff.

31 Jul 2017, 11:18 AM

Wasnt the first screenshot from COH online rather than TOV. I remember the TOV campaign being short and about hero units. Its been many years for me though so i could be wrong.

I voted vCOH doctrines. They were a really powerful extra to each faction and you had to choose which direction you wanted to go in each docrtine.
31 Jul 2017, 12:29 PM

Not to much but also not to few abilities, so the obvious and best choice is vCOH.
31 Jul 2017, 12:31 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2017, 11:18 AMMongal
Wasnt the first screenshot from COH online rather than TOV. I remember the TOV campaign being short and about hero units. Its been many years for me though so i could be wrong.

If I remember correctly, CoHO used vCoH doctrines.

More from ToV:

31 Jul 2017, 12:48 PM

I want more units, active abilities from doctrines, passive abilities that only give passive buffs are kinda meh
31 Jul 2017, 13:28 PM
Patrion 14

CoH 3 topic out of nowhere, wtf !
31 Jul 2017, 14:11 PM

vCOH ftw, don't mess with perfection. If Lelic want DLC, they can go the way of alternative units like in ToV.
31 Jul 2017, 14:27 PM
31 Jul 2017, 14:46 PM

Not that I have a whole lot of faith that Relic could pull it off correctly but Custom Commanders would be pretty neat (so basically CoH2 but you have more flexibility)

It just annoys me that there are a few interesting abilities that I wouldn't mind experimenting with as part of a greater strategy but they are locked in some useless commander that only someone like RedWings can make work.
31 Jul 2017, 16:38 PM

Certainly doctrines, idealy custom made doctrines
I also wish that doctrines would only contain abilities, and not call-in units
31 Jul 2017, 17:35 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I feel a mixed system of the CoH 2 commanders with CPs being used to purchased items in a non-linear way would be interesting. It would give players more choice, but you'd also need to decide what you would give up by rushing certain items.

You can use all your commanders, but you still get to keep the opponent on edge with what you're going to go with. Of course there'd need to be limits on how many items you can get, but now you have far more options and some commanders can now fill certain gaps and always provide something.
31 Jul 2017, 20:35 PM

remember guys that relic only want feedback on what we liked in coh1 & coh2, it does't mean at all that they are working on coh3 (they just released DOW3 and so they are going to make a shit load of DLC for it), secondly it doesn't mean that they will take your feedback in consideration.

Relic has proven to don't care at all about player feedback during coh2 and DOW3 beta, i assume they will keep doing it for their next game.
31 Jul 2017, 20:55 PM
Patrion 14

The more important question is : what role the doctrine / commander should even play in the game? The technicalities whether the CP expenditure branches or not are less important, though I prefer CoH1 style.

#1 : The core army must be able to work on its own without commanders. No locking essential units such as mobile artillery for Brits or a decent medium tank (Sov) or flamethrowers (OKW, US).

#2: Commander abilities should expand strategic options, not provide a decisive edge that a person can rely on - for as long as the latter is the case, you will have the meta dominated by the most powerful commanders which makes the meta stale.

#3: call-ins in their present state need to go. Just look at the ridiculous convoluted rules being introduced into FBP to "fix" the call-in problem. Command Panther and Lend Lease Sherman are just better than anything you can build without a doctrine (and prior to FBP did not even require comparable teching). This is one of the largest CoH2 mistakes. If I had to explain it with an example, in CoH3 if there are Soviets they should get T34/85 as a stock unit, and T34/76s would be a call-in, not the other way around. Give the best options to the core armies, and give weaker / cheaper / alternative playstyle units as call-ins.
31 Jul 2017, 21:50 PM

Doctrines, definitely.

We asked for more abilities, not less, and Relic go ahead and give us 5 instead of 6 or more.

Plus the majority being shitty ones so they could sell their blasted Deluxe Edition for CoH 2 making us believe we're getting content that's actually worth our money to support them whilelist getting blindly lied to.
31 Jul 2017, 23:07 PM

from a fun perspective: coh2

from a practical perspective: vCoh

vCoh had an easier equation to balance therefore giving it a better chance to achieve balance.

Too many commanders/abilities/units make it very difficult to balance coh2.

It should be noted it took vCoh a long time to balance with an easier task.
31 Jul 2017, 23:11 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Fewer, more unique doctrines is the way to do it. Way too much overlap in coh2, which just leads to many mediocre doctrines instead of a few core good ones. I would also like to see more passive bonuses, instead of timed abilities and call-ins. Slightly different arty variant #7 is was less interesting than passives like Raid, and Rapid Response, and CoH2 abilities like Encirclement doctrine sprint, and Windustry(though that was poorly implemented).

Just go with the ToV way. It's just a more fleshed out version of the vCoH commanders. More than 3 would be nice, but uniqueness is far more important than quantity. If you are using duplicate abilities you are doing it wrong.
31 Jul 2017, 23:34 PM

I love the coh2 commander system, but yeah it gets kinda repetitive, dont get me wrong, the coh1 commander was decent but it was always the same, you can combine different commanders here and change your playstyle if you want, that sounds good but the reality is that you always use the same commanders, the meta rules the commander choice, the ardennes assault ability thingy was awesome but it seems kinda messy to implement in the multy player so a simplyfied version of that + a well balanced game would be awesome
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★