Login

russian armor

How to add deep snow or mud?

9 Jul 2017, 23:42 PM
Patrion 14

I do not know how to do it. I know that decorative snow texture is added with height editor but I do not know how to add or remove deep snow that affects the movement.
9 Jul 2017, 23:57 PM

If this is a map intended to be added on the rotation please dont add deep snow or mud because it is a bad implemented feature, thanks
10 Jul 2017, 00:40 AM
Patrion 14

actually i was going to do a map where it is either deep snow or frozen water. its like move slow and safe or fast and risky. i think that is very depth additive and deep.

-----------

also if that tool is a way to add/remove deep snow, how do i re-add the decorative snow cover once i use the tool to remove the gameplay deep snow?
10 Jul 2017, 00:45 AM

I have no idea how to use the world builder but please:

No frozen water (semosky winter), no deep snow (kholdny ferma winter), no mud (general mud), no excesive amount of red cover (halbe), no red cover outside the base exits (crossroads), no extra stragetic points (crossroads), no more than or less that 3 vps (prypiat sector, the castle map with 5 vps), no unbalanced vps, fuel and muni locations (almost every map), no buildings in the cutoffs (litteraly every single map), no urban/industrial maps (dusseldorf, gelserkirchen refinery), no super large or small maps (montargis region (large), crossing in the woods (small)), no minsk pockets 2.0, no road to karkov 2.0, no heavy building maps (arnhem checkpoint). Please i beg you.
10 Jul 2017, 06:51 AM
Senior Editor Badge

It's about the thickness that the snow layer has that you add.

With a value of 0.2 (the snow cover should look light yellow) you retain the optical effects (snow/mud splashing up, vehicles leaving tracks), but you avoid any gameplay effects.

With values that are higher (not sure about the actual threshold, but it happens already when the snow is dark yellow, not only when it turns red), you'll get all the effects Luciano likes ;)

I had some issues at times with setting the values directly, though. Just entering a number and painting the area some times didn't seem to do it, but rather put in deep snow regardless. I ended up smoothing that blob, and then picking the light yellow parts with "Sample" and paint with that...
10 Jul 2017, 08:22 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Siphon's bang on. Just use the Additive tool and the Snow Overlay to see when it turns red, and then Sample that patch. Even if the depths aren't exactly the same across the map, if it's red, it affect movement (and with the right SCAR, it will cause hypothermia).

Something to play with as well are the different degrees of yellow depths: very pale yellow will coat buildings and objects but won't leave footprints, whereas deep yellow will. On any snow map I make now, I insist on "yellow snow" near blind corners, so that you can see whether a unit has moved to an area and stopped (waiting for their ambush).
10 Jul 2017, 09:50 AM
10 Jul 2017, 14:15 PM
Patrion 14

thanks.

for luciano, i shall use depth of .3
10 Jul 2017, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2017, 14:15 PMpigsoup
thanks.

for luciano, i shall use depth of .3

The map wont win, trust me, im not the only one that thinks in that way
10 Jul 2017, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2017, 00:45 AMLuciano
I have no idea how to use the world builder but please:

No frozen water (semosky winter), no deep snow (kholdny ferma winter), no mud (general mud), no excesive amount of red cover (halbe), no red cover outside the base exits (crossroads), no extra stragetic points (crossroads), no more than or less that 3 vps (prypiat sector, the castle map with 5 vps), no unbalanced vps, fuel and muni locations (almost every map), no buildings in the cutoffs (litteraly every single map), no urban/industrial maps (dusseldorf, gelserkirchen refinery), no super large or small maps (montargis region (large), crossing in the woods (small)), no minsk pockets 2.0, no road to karkov 2.0, no heavy building maps (arnhem checkpoint). Please i beg you.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2017, 18:24 PMLuciano

The map wont win, trust me, im not the only one that thinks in that way

Wow, you must be SUPER fun at parties...

@ Soup, wish you best of luck mate!
11 Jul 2017, 00:26 AM

While I'm not totally against deep snow and ice layouts, I do think having more than a serious portion makes a map more of a pain to play on, rather than it causing a new depth of gameplay to try out. The reason I say this is because it allows for camping to become a bit easier, and for your opponent to suffer if their units retreat through the deep snow or across ice when bombarded. People will be able to take out the ice quickly with arty and force their counterparts to cross the unbreakable but slow deep snow. I would recommend thinking of maybe trying to add bridges instead, one solid brick, but a bit more blocked with tank traps or wire maybe, and two wooden, which have fewer obstacles, but are easier to destroy or demo.
11 Jul 2017, 01:31 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Also be careful if you use the deform function in the splines while leaving "edit top layer selected" this will add snow across the entire spline in huge swaths as you move it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★