Login

russian armor

How to counter Ostheer Sniper?

9 May 2017, 23:39 PM

I have been having serious problems recently against an Ostheer Sniper, especially on open maps. I just feel like there is nothing I can do. Sections can´t catch the bastard(and cannot cap territory), MGs get sniped, UC gets fausted on the chase(unless the guy is a complete moron of course), the AEC has no AI anymore, and the British Sniper, in terms of countersniping, is worse in every respect, which classifies that strategy as dubious at best. Given the MP cost of all British units, the bleed really becomes a problem. Could you advice me some builds or just give me some general advice? Thanks.
10 May 2017, 01:04 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Best bet is Brit sniper if the map is open. If there are flanking routes obviously a good flank can kill snipers. AEC can also work, but with gren fausts it can be quite difficult plus theres the added danger of teller mines. While the brit sniper may have high aim time, proper positioning and micro can deal with them long before the sniper can recloak. But keep in mind that a good sniper user will back peddle after taking a shot as a precaution of countersnipes/flanks. It is best to position your sniper as far up for vision as possible without compromising his position.
10 May 2017, 02:06 AM

Best bet are use Tommies bait sniper and control boys sniper finish. Well it require a lot of timing and controls .
10 May 2017, 04:14 AM

You can also try to get infiltration commandos on top of him, either from garrison or carefully microing them, while you pull perfect cloaked flank.

Then just put a gamon bomb on him and burst him down. Its not easy to perfom, countersnipe is more reliable, but even this is an option and works well if you perform it right
10 May 2017, 05:31 AM

my best advice is patience, soon or later everyone commits mistakes or get distracted, just wait for that moment and capitalize on it.

also, always set yourself for flanks if you can.

Another advice is: if your opponent is really good at using snipers, then you can "ignore" it and go for his other units, no matter how good his micro is, a single sniper can't stop a wave of units alone, you can try to brute force him off the map.
11 May 2017, 19:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. It is not very encouraging, but I will try.
11 May 2017, 19:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2017, 19:34 PMmediev
Thanks for the advice. It is not very encouraging, but I will try.

The problem is there isn´t any way how to hardcounter well guarded and well microed sniper.

Here are some additional tips that I don´t know, if they were mentioned, yet.
  • Buy a Bren Carrier and upgrade it with vickers. The Bren Carrier deals 50% increased damage to sniper, so if anything else it´ll keep the sniper at bay
  • A vet 1 Vickers outranges an Ostheer sniper
  • Ostheer sniper vet 1 ability has 100% chance to hit. This means it´ll always kill last retreating squad member. Retreat sooner.
  • Protect your sniper with AC and mines. Axis 222 deals increased damage to your sniper as well.
  • Use the sightblockers against the sniper early on, or at least garrisons. The sniper has only 50% chance to kill a soldier in the garrison
  • Patience is the key in sniper wars.
  • Commandos should do the trick.
  • In the late game sniper is not longer a problem. He cannot deal prolonged damage because your tanks will make short work of him them.
  • Try to put a flank on sniper early on.
  • In a later stage, 5th member upgrade and brute force can convince the sniper to retreat.
  • Cap, cap, cap. The sniper on the field means less Axis squads early on = more room to maneuver and cap.
  • If there´s no room to counter-snipe, you may use your sniper behind your lines, killing any harrassing squads, when you know the Ostheer sniper isn´t nearby.
  • The Mortar pit will make the sniper think twice before entering its firing locations.
  • Don´t get tunnelled vision when fighting the sniper. Sometimes it´s better to fight on flanks, seizing fuel in order to get tanks faster than focusing the sniper down. After all, your tanks will bleed him more later on, than the sniper will bleed you.

12 May 2017, 01:37 AM

British sniper hits the field later than ostheer snipers usually, so I like to keep mine concealed and on hold fire until I can get an easy shot off at the ost sniper. You will have the element of surprise, but be wary of the ridiculous aim time of the Brit sniper. Vet1 vickers in buildings are a bit ridiculous too, but very situational.
12 May 2017, 05:19 AM

British sniper hits the field later than ostheer snipers usually, so I like to keep mine concealed and on hold fire until I can get an easy shot off at the ost sniper. You will have the element of surprise, but be wary of the ridiculous aim time of the Brit sniper. Vet1 vickers in buildings are a bit ridiculous too, but very situational.

Trench will do the trick ;)
12 May 2017, 05:44 AM

Trench will do the trick ;)

Good point. There goes situational.
16 May 2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try it out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★