Login

russian armor

[1v1] USF vs OST help [Map: Halbe]

17 Apr 2017, 22:44 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a pretty noobish player that has problems securing late game advantages or generally just winning I suppose.

I wanted to get some feedback on this replay so I can figure out my major areas of deficiency.

Sorry for the title of the replay, I didn't know if this was the correct video and had never uploaded one.

17 Apr 2017, 23:44 PM

Ban this map, this map is too MG favoured plus red cover will get you MP bleed faster than a woman's period. If you play as USF/OKW in this map it'll be mostly a death sentence against Wehr/UKF. OKW can get by with spamming Kubels but need to replace them with Panzerfussilliers later.
17 Apr 2017, 23:54 PM

Ah, I see. What maps do you recommend to ban as 1v1 USF?
18 Apr 2017, 02:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Generally USF would like to avoid maps like Langreskaya, Crossing in the Woods, and Halbe. These maps are mainly composed of long-ranged engagements where Axis infantry (generally better at long range) can engage at preferential range. Also, MGs are quite powerful and more difficult to flank on these maps. Ostheer Sniper is also very powerful on these large open maps.
18 Apr 2017, 03:17 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Watched your replay. Keep in mind that I am not a strategist, and I am definitely not a "high level" player, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1st: capping. While winning engagements is always more important, remember you can use a wounded squad to cap! Generally it is advised to cap high fuel points (both!), not just cap enemy territory to in "territory denial". If you had captured both fuel points in the early game you could have easily snowballed the game. USF is stronger than OKW in mid-game.

2nd: build order/teching. You went for 3 Riflemen, then an M1 81mm Mortar (possibly because you couldn't afford to tech up). In this case I would build a fourth Rifleman squad, because it would help you win more engagments. The USF mortar is built as a counter to static play (generally Ostheer machine guns in garrisons), I would not recommend it on a map like Halbe.

Next was your tech choice of Lieutenant, which is perfectly fine, but you only used the M15A1 AAHT. Remember, M2HB HMGs are very powerful! You could have spent extra manpower on an M2HB or two and dominated the infantry war. Currently, OKW have problems dealing with suppression.

After rushing a light vehicle, you should have picked up an Ambulance to heal your squads. USF is heavily reliant on Riflemen winning engagments, so an Ambulance is crucial! (You didn't get one until about 15 min, when you already started to lose engagements). Generally I would build an Ambulance before researching weapon racks or grenades.

Normally I would suggest against building more than one indirect fire (or artillery) unit in a game. Artillery is used when your opponent is campy, static, and you need to break open his lines. They also require you to have a strong frontline, so the enemy cannot just dive at them and destroy them (like what happened for all your artillery units). As I said previously, I would have replaced that mortar with Rifleman squad, saved the resources for the M21 Mortar HT and I would have replaced the M8 Scott with an M4 Sherman. Both replacement units are frontline combatants. If you had built the M4 Sherman instead, you could have hard-countered his entire army (of course, you need to support it too!).

3rd: unit management. Often times a couple of your units would sit around doing nothing. They are a precious resource, use them! Your M15A1 should have been chasing OKW infantry all over the place (of course, supported by your infantry). Idle squads can be used for capping. Sometimes you would send two units in one direction, then forget about the second unit while the first one continues to fight.

4th: choice of weapon upgrades. Generally it is advised to put bazookas on RE, and give Riflemen exclusively anti-infantry weapons. This is because Riflemen are more durable (less received accuracy) and they have greater anti-infantry firepower stock. RE are also less expensive to reinforce, suitable for taking casualties when engaging tanks.

5th: engagements. I'll just pick that one engagement against the King Tiger to talk about. You had two AT guns. If you had moved your other AT gun to attack it and sent Riflemen to snare it with an AT grenade, you would have destroyed it. 720MP 280FU down the drain, and you only lost an M8 Scott. Have your units work together in engagements.

6th: commander choice. I do not know all of the commanders you have, but you picked Infantry Company. While it is an excellent indirect fire commander (especially the M7B1 Priest), it is not very suitable for 1v1 because you need to form a strong frontline to allow Artillery to to their work. In team games your team-mates can create the frontline while you smash their lines with artillery, but in 1v1 you'll need to create the frontline yourself; that's why commanders with frontline units such as Armor Company, Rifle Company, and Heavy Cavalry Company are favored in 1v1.

That's all I can think of right now, hope it helps!

Good luck and have fun on the battlefield!
18 Apr 2017, 06:14 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Hi guys,

I'm a pretty noobish player that has problems securing late game advantages or generally just winning I suppose.

I wanted to get some feedback on this replay so I can figure out my major areas of deficiency.

Sorry for the title of the replay, I didn't know if this was the correct video and had never uploaded one.

Hi Soniichu, as a rule of the strategy desk every review must satisfy the poster and/or have a staff strategist review it. AtomicRockets has given you a review of your replay. If you are satisfied with his work please say so and we can mark this as a completed review. If you'd like an additional review from a strategist feel free to ask. Even if you say you are satisfied you're more than welcome to ask additional questions, just be sure to "reply" to someone so they get a notification of it so your question doesn't take longer than need be. :)

Also be sure to mention what faction you're playing as in your introduction to the thread if your steam name is different than your .org name to avoid any mixups.

/set yellow

18 Apr 2017, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Nice review AtomicRockets :thumb:

Why thank you!
18 Apr 2017, 07:43 AM

I think it's pretty good review and i do not think there is so much to add. After all, every mistake that was the border between win and loss was said.

Thanks Atomic Rockets for helping us with this one.

/set green

Sonichuu if you have any further questions. Feel free to askip, we are here to help ya after all
18 Apr 2017, 15:30 PM

Watched your replay. Keep in mind that I am not a strategist, and I am definitely not a "high level" player, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1st: capping. While winning engagements is always more important, remember you can use a wounded squad to cap! Generally it is advised to cap high fuel points (both!), not just cap enemy territory to in "territory denial". If you had captured both fuel points in the early game you could have easily snowballed the game. USF is stronger than OKW in mid-game.

Good luck and have fun on the battlefield!

Thanks for all the advice Atomic, I feel all of it was very correct in its analysis. Especially the super late ambo. I think ultimately thats what sank my ship. I have pretty awful micro :D but I just keep playing figuring that is the only way it will get better. Is it kosher to post another replay review thread so soon after this one?
18 Apr 2017, 15:44 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Thanks for all the advice Atomic, I feel all of it was very correct in its analysis. Especially the super late ambo. I think ultimately thats what sank my ship. I have pretty awful micro :D but I just keep playing figuring that is the only way it will get better. Is it kosher to post another replay review thread so soon after this one?

You may post as many replay review threads are you like and we'll review each of them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★