Login

russian armor

An article about Relic

17 Apr 2017, 16:09 PM

Hey all,

Some pretty good information in this article about Relic. Worth while to read the entire article.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-04-12-sega-had-a-plan-to-quietly-become-a-powerhouse-in-pc-publishing

"We've definitely set out to make the core experience of Dawn of War 3 stand on its own. It wasn't designed around eSports. The experience was designed to be as it is... I would hope that [eSports] would be a byproduct of people loving our game, so they play it in that way as well."

:S
17 Apr 2017, 17:36 PM

"We know you guys like esports, but our DLC money making model isn't meant to revolve around quality gameplay, good balance, and a competitive rts experience. Remember, Relic and SEGA are trying to milk the only franchises they have left before they need to start being creative again. If esports happens, but fails, we don't care, we can just blame game design and ignore the community."

:foreveralone:
17 Apr 2017, 18:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2017, 17:36 PMVonIvan
"We know you guys like esports, but our DLC money making model isn't meant to revolve around quality gameplay, good balance, and a competitive rts experience. Remember, Relic and SEGA are trying to milk the only franchises they have left before they need to start being creative again. If esports happens, but fails, we don't care, we can just blame game design and ignore the community."

:foreveralone:

guess who isn't going to buy dow3.
i suggest to everyone to do same, at least not until it get a 75% discount.
17 Apr 2017, 19:04 PM

Yeah, if you didn't see DOW 3 as a simplification of the COH2 mechanics and not a push to make a deeper game, you were misled. Relic is many things, but they realize that money is made by short cash grabs, not by supporting a small but vocal base that plays all the time.
17 Apr 2017, 19:10 PM

interesting read
17 Apr 2017, 19:24 PM

Can somebody shorten the article into 3-5 sentences without breaking his meaning and also keeping it polite ?

Thanks, I´m too bored to read that wall of a text
17 Apr 2017, 19:40 PM

Can somebody shorten the article into 3-5 sentences without breaking his meaning and also keeping it polite ?

I read a couple paragraphs and saw how long my scroll bar is, and gave up :D
17 Apr 2017, 20:31 PM

Yeah, if you didn't see DOW 3 as a simplification of the COH2 mechanics and not a push to make a deeper game, you were misled. Relic is many things, but they realize that money is made by short cash grabs, not by supporting a small but vocal base that plays all the time.

Which short cash grab?
17 Apr 2017, 21:12 PM
Senior Editor Badge

The best part of this thread is:

Napalm is still alive. :D
17 Apr 2017, 21:48 PM

guess who isn't going to buy dow3.
i suggest to everyone to do same, at least not until it get a 75% discount.

I agree with both of you, I had my doubts but I still maintained high hopes upon seeing the trailers, which were of course then bashed into the ground after I saw actual gameplay.

I will retain my final judgement of the game when I try it out in the open beta which runs from the 21st to 23rd but for now I won't be buying it any times soon, I made the mistake of getting the deluxe edition of CoH 2 thinking I was a loyal fan to Relic that just wanted to contribute, I was wrong.
17 Apr 2017, 22:56 PM

TL;DR - Sega pays 'e-journalist' to write advertisement.

Includes facts, such as:

-"I don't think we're in a position where we have to mimic another genre, because we're leaders in the space ourselves"

-"Company of Heroes 2 was finished and supported"

-"We wanted to focus on making the Company of Heroes 2 experience fantastic, while still giving the Dawn of War team some space to get on solid footing coming into the release this year."

Mission Accomplished? I think so.
17 Apr 2017, 23:07 PM

i actually read it too and i confirm this is more advertisement than journalism.

The sentences GDot quoted are true, but if you need to see briefly how cheap is this "journalist article" just look at the 2 picture used in the article.

They used the same picture of coh2 trailer, 2 times, one time it's even labeled "Dawn of War III is the first full game in the series for eight years" with a damn picture of coh2 trailer :rofl:7

18 Apr 2017, 04:50 AM
Benefactor 115

We've definitely set out to make the core experience of Dawn of War 3 stand on its own. It wasn't designed around eSports. The experience was designed to be as it is... I would hope that [eSports] would be a byproduct of people loving our game, so they play it in that way as well.

Ha! They still don't get it. Even with their fancy "Business Intelligence" unit full to the brim with people with MBAs. They don't have these aspirations so why kid yourself.
18 Apr 2017, 05:24 AM

If they keep up to their promises, Iron Harvest will wipe the floor with Relic soon.
I hope the game will come out this year but I wouldn't mind if it didn't, as long as it is a good game at release.

18 Apr 2017, 05:48 AM

If they keep up to their promises, Iron Harvest will wipe the floor with Relic soon.
I hope the game will come out this year but I wouldn't mind if it didn't, as long as it is a good game at release.

Yeah, I read the article about it. Inspired by company of heroes and men of war series, has the potential to be a good game.

Interesting that it takes place in Poland around the 1920s. More however there are going to be mechs in the game, yeah.

It is taking place on a alternate timeline, explains the mechs atlease.

About Relics article, I dont know what they mean by DOW3 will be the first FULL GAME IN 8 YEARS, what was company of heroes 2 then even through they said it was finnished apart from a few tweaks like every other game?

Seriously, I question why they stated this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did they say the amount of post support they gave COH2 they want to aspire to and then immediately say the lack of activity for the game is born out of necessity?

Yeah, not going to buy DOW3.
18 Apr 2017, 08:32 AM

I think you guys are over-reacting to the quote about esports.

You don't design a game to be an esport. You design a game that is GOOD and FUN to play, even for casuals, and then you nurture the community into an esports scene. Community still has to do the majority of the work up-front, even for big name games.

Whether this will happen with DoW 3... I hope the game is awesome, but wouldn't be surprised it if isn't.
18 Apr 2017, 11:50 AM

I have been thinking about how much it would cost to buy the franchise and hand it over to another developer. There is a bunch of things I love about coh2 but I don't trust relic to not completely fuck up the next game with the DLC. The game is too fuckung old to be charging over a 100$ for all the skins, some of ehich were promised as exclusives.

If you think the dlc is bad on this one, just think, dlc weapon racks.
18 Apr 2017, 16:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2017, 08:32 AMCieZ
I think you guys are over-reacting to the quote about esports.

You don't design a game to be an esport. You design a game that is GOOD and FUN to play, even for casuals, and then you nurture the community into an esports scene. Community still has to do the majority of the work up-front, even for big name games.

Whether this will happen with DoW 3... I hope the game is awesome, but wouldn't be surprised it if isn't.

That mentality was valid in the past, but I don't think it is sufficient anymore. The part about good and fun gameplay is still just as relevant but for a game to truly thrive as an esport or have any hope at longevity, there needs to be an infrastructure and vision in place tailored to that end.

For Honor is a perfect example of a good game with a poor multiplayer framework that works against itself. I'm sure there are plenty other examples where good ideas are squandered by poor or frustrating multiplayer implementation (Act of War comes to mind). Everyone here has been frustrated with Relic's lack of support with its game's performance, bugs, balance, and yet the core mechanics are good and fun. It's just nowhere near enough anymore.

If Relic is hoping against hope that their game will draw massive multiplayer crowds without supporting them from the start, they'll be sorely disappointed. I'm not going to wait 3 months for a repeat episode of the Tiger Ace hotfix bullshit when I can play Overwatch, CSGO, or whatever else comes out over the year.
18 Apr 2017, 16:55 PM

Yeah, I read the article about it. Inspired by company of heroes and men of war series, has the potential to be a good game.

Interesting that it takes place in Poland around the 1920s. More however there are going to be mechs in the game, yeah.

It is taking place on a alternate timeline, explains the mechs atlease.

About Relics article, I dont know what they mean by DOW3 will be the first FULL GAME IN 8 YEARS, what was company of heroes 2 then even through they said it was finnished apart from a few tweaks like every other game?

Seriously, I question why they stated this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did they say the amount of post support they gave COH2 they want to aspire to and then immediately say the lack of activity for the game is born out of necessity?

Yeah, not going to buy DOW3.

First full DOW game in 8 years.
18 Apr 2017, 18:50 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2017, 08:32 AMCieZ

You don't design a game to be an esport. You design a game that is GOOD and FUN to play, even for casuals, and then you nurture the community into an esports scene.

i disagree aswell, if you don't hammer down the most important things for esport in your design it is gonna fail. Enough strategic depth has to be there!
Look at hearthstone, it is fun to play and well designed in that aspect, but many people belive that it isn't really competetive and many pro players there are frustrated
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★