Login

russian armor

How to counter Mortar and ISG play as Brits? [1v1]

15 Apr 2017, 16:26 PM

I've recently started playing Brits in 1v1s, trying to get a lot better with them. Problem is that lots of my opponents go very heavily into either Wermacht mortars or ISGs. Since British infantry need to use cover so much they stand very close together, so it's very painful when the artillery hits. Last game I played I lost a whole 5 man IS squad from 1 ISG shot.

Against Wermacht another thing is that it makes their MGs so much more powerful, because if I set up a mortar emplacement it will just be bombed into perma brace, and their MGs will be harder to deal with.

I'd like to use Scout cars against them, but they usually support their arty with infantry when it gets attacked, so the scout car/ universal carrier just gets panzerfausted, or pushed too far back.

Thank you for reading.
15 Apr 2017, 17:14 PM

I too have been struggling with a good counter, but I think there are a few.

The simple, easy one is to build a mortar pit, although it's map dependent. If you can put it behind a building, and mine the approaches to it, I find it handles itself very well vs the ISG, and it wrecks enemy mortars.

The proper, more aggressive answer on most maps though is to go kill the other guys stuff. I don't know what your starting BO is, but I've been going 4 tommies into nades (cause I've played too much US in vCOH) and the thing about a mortar or an ISG is that it does almost nothing during a fast-paced flank. If your opponent spent 240mp+ on a support weapon, you should have overwhelming firepower in an infantry engagement where the support weapon can't be used. So go charge in and kill it!
15 Apr 2017, 17:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2017, 17:14 PMDanielD
I too have been struggling with a good counter, but I think there are a few.

The simple, easy one is to build a mortar pit, although it's map dependent. If you can put it behind a building, and mine the approaches to it, I find it handles itself very well vs the ISG, and it wrecks enemy mortars.

The proper, more aggressive answer on most maps though is to go kill the other guys stuff. I don't know what your starting BO is, but I've been going 4 tommies into nades (cause I've played too much US in vCOH) and the thing about a mortar or an ISG is that it does almost nothing during a fast-paced flank. If your opponent spent 240mp+ on a support weapon, you should have overwhelming firepower in an infantry engagement where the support weapon can't be used. So go charge in and kill it!

I usually go 1 vickers then 2 infantry sections, then engies. Problem was with my last game was that the ISGs were almost in his base so protected by flak guns, it's range was large enough to reach most the map. And he got 3 so a Mortar emplacement was out of the question.

Everytime I build a mortar emplacement the enemy usually goes heavier into mortars, and that's my main issue with them. Even if I get lucky on shots they just retreat and come back, and 2 mortars will usually outdo one.

Interesting idea going so heavy into pure infantry, I may give that a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

15 Apr 2017, 17:53 PM

Yea, if someone in a 1v1 goes 3 ISGs, you should just give them the territory around their base and fight for the rest of the map. On some maps the range on the ISGs is too damn long though, I agree. However, on most maps, you should be able to hold 2 VPs, and if he pushes out with the ISGs then you flank them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if your mortar pit is doing damage to enemy ISGs or mortars, that's manpower drain for your opponent, while repairs are free.

I do think you need at least 1 more infantry section in your build.

PS its always nice to read a "how to counter" thread that isn't "this shit is broken omg wtf do I do" but instead looks for constructive tips. Respect.
15 Apr 2017, 18:09 PM

If it's overextended and a house is near use infiltration commandos (if you have mobile assault), otherwise try to cheeky and flank them with the sappers, they pack quite a punch up close.

However, if they're in the okw base your only hope is mortar pit and hope for good rng + try to move your units around defenses if not in fight (and can't or don't want to risk a push harder).

With 3 ISGs on the field it's almost 30 population, so congrats, your opponent just wasted that much popcap and about 60 MP/m upkeep to annoy you. Take what you can, you can't really run into heavy resistance that early in the game.
15 Apr 2017, 18:34 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

If it's a garrison heavy map I suggest using garrisons against OKW, and when an ISG shell comes in dodge then hop back in. That's micro intensive but if nothing else is happening on the field then it's worth the micro. Landmattress is always great, and mortar pits are like DanielD said, map dependant. My BO with brits is tommy tommy MG tech. You can rotate around the MG depending on the map but I'd try and avoid MG 1st in 1v1. I think it can work but I rarely see top level players go MG as their very first unit usually do to slow territory gain as a result. IS are more than capable of defeating volks, as long as they're not outnumbered and unflanked by sturms.
16 Apr 2017, 15:44 PM

If it's a garrison heavy map I suggest using garrisons against OKW, and when an ISG shell comes in dodge then hop back in. That's micro intensive but if nothing else is happening on the field then it's worth the micro. Landmattress is always great, and mortar pits are like DanielD said, map dependant. My BO with brits is tommy tommy MG tech. You can rotate around the MG depending on the map but I'd try and avoid MG 1st in 1v1. I think it can work but I rarely see top level players go MG as their very first unit usually do to slow territory gain as a result. IS are more than capable of defeating volks, as long as they're not outnumbered and unflanked by sturms.

I usually get the MG to counter Sturms, because if I'm capping fuel or VC I usually meet one. And 1v1 IS squads usually lose even when in green cover against sturms rushing up (in my experience).

16 Apr 2017, 17:28 PM

My best advice would be DODGE!!!

https://youtu.be/lsYe9aoY5Vs

against mortars you can try to flank it, but against leigs there really no counter plays since they have so much range and are durable as hell, your best bet would be rush to cromwells and wait until the leig is exposed, then you run in and destroy it.

But in most cases you won't be able to do anything against it. It is just another case of #justokwthings
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★