Login

russian armor

[1v1] Ost vs Sov

13 Apr 2017, 17:36 PM

I love this section of coh2.org, it has some of the most dedicated members on this site. :D

As you can see in this replay, I have real problems with penals, particularly on this map. This match is not the best indication of my skill, it was my first 1v1 today, lots of idle units/manpower float/stupid retreats, so I could already recognize some of my problems:

- Mediocre micro, not agressive enough with the cut-offs, ignoring the right side (afraid for mines)
- Not making a consecutive attack on the centre earlier, but only a half-assed attempt with my p4
- A lack of indirect fire against his mg's (should have equipped a commander with the mortar halftrack)

My problem however, is that I just don't know how to play on this map. I feel funneled with my options: there is only one way out of the base, garrisons halt my advance everywhere and the right side is miles away. Also, penals are such a strong multi-purpose unit, panzergrenadiers and grenadiers feel like a manpower drain against them, altough an extra mg might have helped. Can't say how many games on semoisky ended like this for me.

If anyone can notice any other points of improvement, please let me know. I will post another, more representative, replay once I've got one.

14 Apr 2017, 01:11 AM

Hi DerbyHat,

If no one can do this by tomorrow afternoon I will take a look. However, you did mention quite a few areas you can improve. If penals have you down you might even try double MGs. With a gren to protect he cannot rush in and you can keep them on the ground. Once they get suppressed they really don't do too much damage.
14 Apr 2017, 07:54 AM

Hi DerbyHat,
we love you as well, but Relic and their patch teams aparently not.
Yesterday they launched new patch (something yolo about Ardenes assault) and so all the replays are unwatchable, even yours then.

I even launched the coh2 and looked for the replay there but as I thought, it´s no longer watchable.

Sorry.

/set red

14 Apr 2017, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I know. I examined the match a bit while typing this thread, so a thorough analysis is not that needed. :D

Tried playing some more games, but couldn't get a loss (that must be good sign). The biggest problem is still that I don't know how to deal with (summer) semoisky and the new penal meta.

*Edit: RIP replay. I'll get a better one now :D*
14 Apr 2017, 07:58 AM

14 Apr 2017, 15:09 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Yeah, I know. I examined the match a bit while typing this thread, so a thorough analysis is not that needed. :D

Tried playing some more games, but couldn't get a loss (that must be good sign). The biggest problem is still that I don't know how to deal with (summer) semoisky and the new penal meta.

*Edit: RIP replay. I'll get a better one now :D*

I believe Imagelessbean's advice of double MG is good against penal spam. Especially on a heavy garrison map such as Semoskiy. Semoskiy has the tough choke points outside your base leading into the mid and it can be difficult to get back over if you get pushed out of the mid. Because penals take a pretty long time to create because of tier buildings and their actual build time you shouldn't have a problem getting an MG42 to a sound garrison in the mid. I don't know about an immediate 2nd MG42 but MGs are great for defensive play. If you do happen to get pushed off use the ostheer mortar. Still one of the best mortars in the game.
14 Apr 2017, 18:00 PM

I believe Imagelessbean's advice of double MG is good against penal spam. Especially on a heavy garrison map such as Semoskiy. Semoskiy has the tough choke points outside your base leading into the mid and it can be difficult to get back over if you get pushed out of the mid. Because penals take a pretty long time to create because of tier buildings and their actual build time you shouldn't have a problem getting an MG42 to a sound garrison in the mid. I don't know about an immediate 2nd MG42 but MGs are great for defensive play. If you do happen to get pushed off use the ostheer mortar. Still one of the best mortars in the game.

Some additions about usage of HMG.

Beware fast M5 with flamer engi inside (clown car), this can tear down mg in garrison within seconds. That´s why I recommend you to always keep at least 1 grenadier squad near your HMGs so clown car cannot close in and burn them. Also Clown car has low armor so prolonged hmg fire will tear it appart at long range. Just don´t allow it to close in - fausts, and you´ll be fine.

Also always keep an eye on your HMGs. Once penals close in and throw satchel charge, be ready to ungarrison yourself withing 3 seconds or you will lose the HMG once the house fall down.
14 Apr 2017, 22:44 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Some additions about usage of HMG.

Beware fast M5 with flamer engi inside (clown car), this can tear down mg in garrison within seconds. That´s why I recommend you to always keep at least 1 grenadier squad near your HMGs so clown car cannot close in and burn them. Also Clown car has low armor so prolonged hmg fire will tear it appart at long range. Just don´t allow it to close in - fausts, and you´ll be fine.

Also always keep an eye on your HMGs. Once penals close in and throw satchel charge, be ready to ungarrison yourself withing 3 seconds or you will lose the HMG once the house fall down.

M3 is clown car, M5 is meatgrinder quad. Also Hector check private messages.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 38
unknown 29
Germany 9
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L