Login

russian armor

Steel Division: Normandy 44 (RTS ww2 published by Paradox)

3 Mar 2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Editor Badge

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steel_Division/comments/5wycjc/more_steel_division_screenshots_and_leaks/

1-Mod support (YAY!)

Full mod support is also planned, with a particular eye toward the World War 2 geeks who can’t stand having a patch on a British artillery officer’s uniform being in the wrong place. Paradox’s Peter Cornelius also billed this as a way to fix the inevitable, “My grandpa’s division isn’t in the game” problem, indicating that division rosters themselves will be fully customizable.

2- Units dont receive experience while fighting the same way they did in wg4

Experience isn’t something units earn in the course of a match, but different available units in your division start with different experience levels. Composing a battlegroup of the most hardened troops will cost a lot more, but experience has a large impact on a unit’s ability to withstand stress and keep fighting.

3- Unist can surrender

The core combat revolves around the concept of stress. Similar to games like Company of Heroes, units will act with self-preservation based on the battlefield situation. Light infantry under fire from a heavy machine gun will become pinned down, unable to move or contribute much to the battle, which allows a smart commander to take units out of the fight indefinitely without necessarily routing or killing them. It is also possible, of course, to force a unit to take so much stress that they start to withdraw from the battlefield (or at least to a more defensible location). It’s also possible to capture enemy units by surrounding them and forcing them to surrender.

4- Stepping up the map game

Ranked and casual matches will be available, across a “tremendous” number of maps. I wasn’t provided with any hard numbers, but Eugen assured me it would be “two to three times the usual” in similar games.

5- 3 types of "decks"

Combat in Normandy ‘44 takes place at the division level. Rather than selecting a nation, you pick from a number of Allied and Axis divisions that fought in Northern France near the close of the war (though the actual beach landings won’t be included), each with a unique unit roster and play style. Among the names dropped were the US 101st Airborne and the German 12th SS, with England, France, Poland, Canada, and Scotland also represented. Some nations have multiple divisions to choose from, with each falling into a broad category of armored, mechanized, or infantry.

6- Dynamic front line

These units will attempt to push and pull a dynamic front line that moves as you take and lose terrain, with victory points assigned based on how much of the map you control.

7- Command units

You can also bring along command units, which aren’t as good at fighting as their counterparts, but provide the benefit of an extra experience level to all units in a small radius. The devs want commanders to be a tactical asset rather than a strategic one, applying their bonuses only to a very small area rather than enabling any kind of battlefield-wide general abilities. In addition, units near a command squad will ignore the normal penalties for being encircled, enabling daring escapades behind enemy lines.

I love this idea of a dynamic front line. Hopefully it means a move away from predetermined control points. The idea of envelopment and surrender by moving the front line is also really intriguing as it will make tactical maneuvers extremely important and will force players to withdraw their forces lest they be cut off and forced to surrender. Having commanders that allow for units to persist behind enemy lines also seems really cool. Take out the commander and that whole battalion will surrender.

==================

6 nations:

"It has more than 400 units from the U.S., English, Polish, French, and German armies (and others, too). "http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/01/steel-division-normandy-44-is-paradox-interactives-grand-entrance-into-real-time-tactical-combat/

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/ldmM2aX.jpg";]

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/Y6ZVPJL.jpg";]

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/YaC5AdQ.jpg";]

LEAKS, LEAKS, LEAKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

1)Game can become a start of a new franchise like EE was for Wargame.

FLX: We won't make previous mistakes of course, we will make new mistakes ! ^

2)System requirements are: Intel Core i3-2100 (3.1 GHz) or equivalent, 64-bit Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7, 3 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended), 1 GB & AMD 5570 or nVidia 450, DirectX compatible sound card and 32 GB of available hard-disk space.

3)AND THE MOST IMPORTANT: BETA TEST SHOULD START IN ABOUT THREE WEEKS!

...taken from Steel Balalaika VK group.
3 Mar 2017, 11:30 AM

Do not preorder guys do not preorder. Wait how good game will be and then buy. We dont want another 2013 coh2 fast released because of pre orders

Coh2 was launched in a horrible state because THQ went down and Relic was forced to rush.
3 Mar 2017, 11:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Mar 2017, 19:47 PMAvNY

OMG what garbage history did you learn? Or do you get your facts from neo-Nazi Youth magazines?

Funny considering we all know that history is written by the victors, and with that I don´t mean the Allied forces :thumb:
3 Mar 2017, 11:32 AM

Wish it were Steel Division: Eastern Front.

The Germany vs Soviets theme is always more compelling on a creative level.

Won´t sell as well.
3 Mar 2017, 12:26 PM

Promotion blabla

tilt the Camera in CoH2 and you have a self-made war movie (in every single match)

nothing will ever compare
3 Mar 2017, 12:28 PM

Infantry in WG is a very small part of the game. It's not like CoH where it makes up the majority of the gameplay... The nuance is in other areas that are less trivial than chucking your infantry squad behind a blown up truck. Steel Division is going to be smaller scale than current Wargame, I doubt they will leave the infantry gameplay the same.

talk what you want.

cover system and infantry gameplay will be shit.
3 Mar 2017, 14:33 PM

I fear that out from 400 units 300 will be copypastes of 100 creative ones and maps will be the same except enviroment mostly as well.

I don´t know why, but I´m rather sceptical about this game, always when something is going to be released as Something great, it fails horribly
3 Mar 2017, 15:05 PM

F this website. I wrote a huge response that got lost because the login got timed out.

Suffice to say we both know more than 99.9% of people about this, including most who think they are well versed in WW2. I have read much of what you have, but from different sources than you cited including the Aberdeen tests of the various Allied AT guns and if you don't mind I am stealing your description of 17pdr as "musket"-like.

As to the comparable advances of the allies, considering their supply restrictions in the first 3 months after D-day what they accomplished logistically was astounding. I have made the point before and would be happy to make it again that most successful operations in WW2 moved about as well as the supply allowed. It is easier to try and make a stand with a 30% effective force low on ammunition, fuel, rest and current intelligence than to advance with a 50% effective force that routed them that is also low on ammunition, fuel, rest and current intelligence.

BTW, the idea that the Allies were "bumbling" is how Germany lost the war. Think about it.

And more circlejerking over outnumbering 20% of the Wehrmacht. Hey, did you ever notice that it took the Western allies more time fighting less of the enemy to cover less ground than the Soviets? Hmm . . . it's almost as if western allies were a bunch of bumbling morons who could barely fight a war without spending weeks fighting over single towns before their numbers advantage came into play. That or using hilarious amounts of artillery to push tiny distances into German territory before being pushed back, and then trying again. And again. Until their opponents' lack of materiel and manpower gives way. See Caen and well... the entire Normandy campaign and the Gothic Line.

And turbotortoise, current Wargame has more detailed armor models and weapon profiles than CoH with 1000+ units with 30x the scale. Terrain is not simplified, in fact there is more varied terrain in Wargame than CoH with more gameplay implications. LoS is also truesight, just like CoH. Steel Division is going to be even more detailed than Wargame in terms of game mechanics and certainly more than CoH... Thats why Wargame series is so good, they don't sacrifice detail and depth for scale. They go overboard on all three. The learning curve is a bit much though.
3 Mar 2017, 16:57 PM

I have very low expectations for this game and Eugen's track record on strategy games is weak.

Wargame is nice if you have a fetish for miniature models but you'd be sorely disappointed at its lack of tactical depth. Thousands of units don't mean shit if they all fall in a handful of indistinguishable roles.

RUSE is barely worth mentioning and I'd be genuinely ashamed to have Act of Aggression on my resume.

We'll see how Steel Division turns out, but judging by the way they deride other games as being "contrived rock-paper-scissors" suggests that they don't really understand strategy games to begin with and that they're mostly in the business of producing pretty dioramas.
3 Mar 2017, 18:10 PM

Looks like a try-hard mixed bag clone. At the very least they could use some creativity when designing the logo. And no soviets? :lol::loco:

The graphics looks so 2003ish too.
3 Mar 2017, 20:27 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Eugen Systems provide very solid support to their games in terms of balance patches, Free/cheap DLC and talking with community about every part of the game. There is no USSR, but come on! This game has "Normandy 44" in the name!

How can you imagine USSR tanks rushing Normandy beach?
3 Mar 2017, 21:13 PM

COH and COH2 will never die!!!
4 Mar 2017, 12:18 PM

COH and COH2 will never die!!!

Malaka. ;D

I will buy it! CoH2 leaders forget CoH2 -
They didnt hear, what I wish.
4 Mar 2017, 14:32 PM

Malaka. ;D

I will buy it! CoH2 leaders forget CoH2 -
They didnt hear, what I wish.

You can buy it and I hope you enjoy it...
COH will still be alive :nahnah:

4 Mar 2017, 18:56 PM

Eugen Systems provide very solid support to their games in terms of balance patches, Free/cheap DLC and talking with community about every part of the game. There is no USSR, but come on! This game has "Normandy 44" in the name!

How can you imagine USSR tanks rushing Normandy beach?

Though, we would have to wait until we get some gameplay come out, because Eugen Systems also have their team games and those are plenty of levels higher than what an average 4v4 match of Company of Heroes could drum up.

Now to something on-topic, I have noticed that guys on YouTube are referring to Company of Heroes for comparison.

4 Mar 2017, 21:24 PM

I have very low expectations for this game and Eugen's track record on strategy games is weak.

Wargame is nice if you have a fetish for miniature models but you'd be sorely disappointed at its lack of tactical depth. Thousands of units don't mean shit if they all fall in a handful of indistinguishable roles.

RUSE is barely worth mentioning and I'd be genuinely ashamed to have Act of Aggression on my resume.

We'll see how Steel Division turns out, but judging by the way they deride other games as being "contrived rock-paper-scissors" suggests that they don't really understand strategy games to begin with and that they're mostly in the business of producing pretty dioramas.

Yeah you just suck at Wargame.

Every unit subclass (line infantry, shock troops, medium armor, heavy, cavalry tank, IR AA, etc) is tailored to a specific job and units within the subclass still are different, meaning you have ultimate control of what you want to accomplish tactically. T72B is great against troops and maintains RoF at close range, but the K1 can take more damage and has superior accuracy and stabilizers. Autocannon IFV provide fire support but inflate the cost of troop deployment, and so on.

Wargame is a tactical tabletop game you command in real time, with a plethora of units. If your expecting total war or something gtfo.
6 Mar 2017, 15:28 PM

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/06/steel-division-normandy-44-preview/

A preview of gamplay taken at GDC. I'm not convinced this is anything more than plopping RUSE assets into Wargame. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, and granted that conclusion is drawn from very little actual content and second hand accounts, but make of it what you will.
6 Mar 2017, 23:04 PM
10 Mar 2017, 00:21 AM
10 Mar 2017, 02:14 AM

Won´t sell as well.

It's Normandy because that battle is one of the best documented of the entire second world war, with a plethora of information on unit TO&E. It's easier to make an accurate representation of that rather than the clusterfuck that was the eastern front.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★