Login

russian armor

[1v1] Got trapped

12 Feb 2017, 11:22 AM

I think my choice of setting my forward base there was a mistake...should have placed it closer to the fuel point then constant pushed to mid-VP. Beside that, which basically the biggest mistake which locked me in that spot, unable to advance and slowly bleed VP to dead, and some unnecessary wipes, I don't know what I can do to improve?

Usually I layed down a lot of mines, but in this game, under constant US attacks, I failed to do that. However, in terms of strategy, what could I have done differently? I'm RoyalWeapon (OKW) in the replay.

P/s: I managed to got a Vet 5 Panzer IV though :D ... Still not enough to save my ass from being kicked back to Berlin though :guyokay:
12 Feb 2017, 12:52 PM

I will watch this.

Next time please say what faction are you playing in first sentence when your .org name doesn´t ocrrespond with in game name
12 Feb 2017, 12:56 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

I will watch this.

Next time please say what faction are you playing in first sentence when your .org name doesn´t ocrrespond with in game name

He is a "old" guest in replay reviews :P

P/s: I'm RoyalWeapon in the replay
12 Feb 2017, 13:06 PM

I will watch this.

Usually I leave it at the P/s at the end, don't know why I put it mid-paragraph this time, but yeah, I'm the OKW player (Thanks Sturmpanther :thumb: )‎
12 Feb 2017, 20:10 PM

Sorry I´ve got something today and didn´t have time to watch it. Tommorow I have exam day so once again no for me.

So if someone is keen on reviewing this before tuesday, then you´re free to do so. If no, I will surely give you feedback in tuesday.

Sorry, Hector
13 Feb 2017, 04:28 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

I'll post thoughts shortly.
13 Feb 2017, 06:30 AM

Commander loadout: That's some diversity man. While it is very much possible to win with offmeta commanders, meta is just the use of the most efficient form of ones resources and time. The USF player took full advantage of his resources and used them to the best of his capabilities with the pershing commander. You on the other hand had elite armor selected and only used the HEAT rounds. It's completely fine to use whatever you like ingame, just expect to start with a disadvantage.

Squad wipes: There were a lot of them! On both sides which is why this match was closer than it could've been. If you've lost a squad odds are you could've played better. Just focus on keeping your squads busy and use every means necessary to keep them alive and keep an eye on them. You first loss was a volks squad while capping your opponents cutoff. Could've easily been avoided as soon as you took the point and hit retreat.

You did well in the first few minutes of the game. Kept bringing out units and spending your manpower. I really liked the MG34 choice, good crowd control. A problem I did notice was as soon as you saw the Lieutenant, you DID NOT build a rakatten. The current meta is a very light vehicle dominant and a good player or someone who at least wishes to implement top players playstyles will ALWAYS go for light vehicles as an allied player. LT means M20 or the AAHT. Either of which would have put severe bleed on your forces with lack of AT. If it was soviets a t70 would have annihilated a squad and possibly more. You always need preemptive AT or you'll lose the game to light vehicles. Another point with the rakatten is that you could've destroyed his fighting position with that rakatten if he didn't get a light vehicle and you just built it preemptivly. Even when your AT doesn't have something to shoot at it still has uses. Cap points with it if it can, with rakattens you can use them as scouts. Destroy fighting positions, trenches, tank traps, sandbags anything you don't like. Destroying that fighting position would've opened up mid and his cutoff.

Could've been more active with your MG34. When he had 2 squads pressuring your retreat point your MG34 was just sitting on the other side of the mid hedge camping mid like his forces were going to come from that direction even though 2 of his units were on your retreat point. Move the MG, then suppress and repel his attack and then defend your points with the MG. Many players just make an MG and have it camp at a certain point for the entire game. This is a bad trap to fall into and leaves your forces down a squad. When you push your opponent back your frontline moves up, you don't sit back with your MG and mortars and let him come back up. Take his territory and let it fight for you, make him outplay you if he wants his territory back. Otherwise you win by just supporting your own infantry.

Your building placements were fine, I put my BG there all the time.

You saw his rangers so you knew he was going pershing. Since you knew he could plant mines you should get a sweeper or possibly lose your tanks and infantry to them. He also revealed his sherman before you got your panzer 4. To be on the safe side I would've gone double rakattens into Panther. The panther has a far larger chance against the pershing than the panzer 4 does. Your p4 this game was outrageously lucky. Multiple pens IN A ROW against forward armor of a pershing. You had like a 35%~ of penning forward armor of a pershing at close range with a p4 but did it 3 times consecutivly killing the 2nd pershing. Had I lost that game as USF not only would I be upset at myself for losing such a lead but probably a bit salty from that RNG. You had lucky pens on the 1st pershing and bounces on the sherman as well. The JP4 was a bit unnecessary as well. I know you built it out of panic that a pershing showed up and your panzer 4 was badly damaged, but once he lost his pershing which he should never have done the JP4 could have been halted in production. Yes its still effective against the sherman but ONLY that. Could've made that a anoher panzer 4 or Panther for the next pershing.

Focus on the little details of your playstyle. In coh2 you really do have to focus on every little detail. I saw squads fighting in negative cover when they could've fighting in open cover. I saw squads on the wrong side of green cover, and when you had forced retreats you captured your opponets munitions point instead of his cutoff. Deny him as much as you can in the time alloted. He denied your fuel and cutoff multiple times which ultimately made you fall far behind and lose the match. Other small things include: getting your StGs on your volks out ASAP while keeping munitions for a panzerfaust at all times. Saw some delay in StGs coming out. Against USF I'd keep 1 volks squad not upgraded so they can grab dropped BARs or zooks. When you've forced retreats you could've planted more mines, yes he kept his pressure up but you can still plant them if you have your infantry infront to either warn your sturms so you can cease planting and cancel or to complete the mine. You successfully planted 1 mine on the left VP and his LT ran directly into it, INSTANTLY forcing a retreat while under fire from a volks. That is how effective mines are. Instantly forces retreats and he loses territory for it.

Overall: Build preemptive AT EVERY game or you will lose very quickly and if he doesn't build go for light vehicles or they're forced back, if you can keep your momentum in a push use that AT to cap the points they've surpassed. If you're having trouble keeping your fuel or any point that you'd like to keep use your MG34. I'd recommend pushing that side up with that MG so you can gain ground and defend that point. Get a sweeper, USF doesn't always have mines but once you saw rangers you knew it was very possible for him. Sturmpio sweeper upgrade also makes them repair faster which is another reason to have the sweeper. Focus on small aspects of your play; staying in cover on the correct side of that cover, deny him as much territory as possible and move your entire army with your frontline. Lower the squadwipe count. This should improve with more ingame time but it'll improve much faster if you conciously think about it mid match. It'll become a habbit at that point. Commanders were offmeta and fun I suppose and you don't need to use the meta ones, but you have to outplay and outskill your opponent just that much more without them.

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask more questions if you do not understand something or have other questions in general.
13 Feb 2017, 08:43 AM

*snip*

My commander loadout is basically an attempt trying to prove that OKW don't really need meta commanders to work around since their stock units are already good enough (I had some successes doing this with "Ober rush" tactic, but this match was not one of them). 

My micro was not at best that time, I must admitted. Could have been better if I sent them capping in pair or just paid attention more. Same with mines. Beside that, thank you for the review. I'll remember to get the Raketen sooner next time.
13 Feb 2017, 11:43 AM

Actually, I take back what I said about "proving off-meta commanders are good". They can be good, but if everyone go meta then it's very difficult to pull it off (Consider the fact i'm not the greatest player around). So, my loadout now is Scavenge, Breakthrough and Overwatch. Is it good (meta-wise)?‎
13 Feb 2017, 13:09 PM

my loadout now is Scavenge, Breakthrough and Overwatch. Is it good (meta-wise)?‎

The definition of OKW meta is the Special Operations commander, so if you replace Overwatch with that one, you are meta-set.

Marking this as reviewed.
13 Feb 2017, 16:28 PM
Senior Referee Badge

13 Feb 2017, 17:51 PM

Actually, I take back what I said about "proving off-meta commanders are good". They can be good, but if everyone go meta then it's very difficult to pull it off (Consider the fact i'm not the greatest player around). So, my loadout now is Scavenge, Breakthrough and Overwatch. Is it good (meta-wise)?‎

The definition of OKW meta is the Special Operations commander, so if you replace Overwatch with that one, you are meta-set.

Special operations and scavenge are the 2 "must haves" for OKW at the moment. I'd say the last slot is more of your preference and what YOU personally make the most use of. Personally I use breakthrough or luftwaffe ground forces. They both carry strong infantry and certain abilities that may not be call ins but useful in some situations.
13 Feb 2017, 18:17 PM

You can also try armor doctrine with sturmtiger. It is more situation but sturmtiger is great weapon that can fire from behind shotblockers and have bigger range than most units have sight, so he is great tool to wipe squads
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★