Login

russian armor

Trouble Building Mod

2 Jan 2017, 01:27 AM

Hi, I saw a couple posts about an error a lot of people were having. Seemed like no one was able to build their mod after the last patch. But didn't seem to find an explicit explanation or solution. Can someone walk me through what exactly went wrong and how to fix it?

Output when building mod:

Building mod1.mod...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe --operation ModBinaryBurn --root "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data\attributes\attributes.xml" --mod "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\attrib\attrib.xml" --burn_path "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\mod1 Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\attrib\attrib"
Error building mod1.mod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe failed with exit code -1. arguments --operation ModBinaryBurn --root "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data\attributes\attributes.xml" --mod "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\attrib\attrib.xml" --burn_path "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\mod1 Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\attrib\attrib"
Built mod1.mod.
2 Jan 2017, 15:10 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2017, 01:27 AMkwok
Hi, I saw a couple posts about an error a lot of people were having. Seemed like no one was able to build their mod after the last patch. But didn't seem to find an explicit explanation or solution. Can someone walk me through what exactly went wrong and how to fix it?

Output when building mod:

Building mod1.mod...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe --operation ModBinaryBurn --root "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data\attributes\attributes.xml" --mod "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\attrib\attrib.xml" --burn_path "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\mod1 Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\attrib\attrib"
Error building mod1.mod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe failed with exit code -1. arguments --operation ModBinaryBurn --root "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data\attributes\attributes.xml" --mod "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\attrib\attrib.xml" --burn_path "C:\Users\000\Desktop\mod1\mod1 Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\attrib\attrib"
Built mod1.mod.

I have been having a bit of trouble myself. Eventually I got it to work, with trial and error. One problem it seems like that it could be with or at least with me was the preview image, but that usually ends in error code 2.
1. try verifying cashes
2. make sure you try to use shortest names possible because if the directory has a limit of characters and avoid high bit characters.
3. Another possible solution I tried was not to save the mod on the desktop. Try maybe create your mod just inside your C drive (C:\mod1.mod.....). As far as I know, this is safe. This may help with cloning long names files like okw_105cm_howitzer\okw_105cm_howitzer.

Hope this helps
3 Jan 2017, 04:02 AM

None of the solutions seemed to work. Wouldn't my desktop be on my C drive? Or do you mean in program files? Doesn't seem to work there either.
3 Jan 2017, 06:13 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

'exit code -1' indicates that a pathname of an object is too long. Check your latest created objects and change the name of the object with the longest path in the attribute editor.

I hope this helps!
3 Jan 2017, 06:35 AM

Strange, I don't remember creating objects for a while. I'll look through, but do you have any suggestions on how I can search for such objects? I have SGAs of older versions backed up, any way I can unpack those and do comparisons?

What is the path name limit?
3 Jan 2017, 08:04 AM

Ok so I found something. I went into the intermediate files cache and I checked which rgd's were created and which weren't. It seems to always stop at any sort of AT gun. For example, I noticed that my modified 57mm AT gun was not created in the intermediate cache folder. So I tried moving that out into a later folder I labeled z_notworking. The mod built fine up until it hit my modified 6pdr AT gun. So then, I tried copying a fresh cloned 57mm AT gun from the vanilla files. Even THAT rgd wasn't created. Anyone know why this is the case?
4 Jan 2017, 00:48 AM

I did some MORE testing. I made a completely new mod from scratch, cloned the aef 57mm AT gun, and tried building the mod. It doesn't work. What gives?
4 Jan 2017, 14:46 PM

Hm, I don't really know what to say.

I decided to do the same and created a quick test mod, cloned the aef 57mm AT gun, and it built just fine.

Verify game files? Fresh install?

It could also have something to do with the directory your mod is in, especially being on the desktop. Maybe keeping the mod and such in the company of heroes 2 folder in my documents? I know the game can be pretty finicky about those sort of things. But I'm seriously just suggesting that out of thin air.
5 Jan 2017, 03:20 AM

Man this is really frustrating. I fresh installed, changed directory, and still doesn't work.

zombifrancis, did you clone the entity or the squad? I can't get the following entities to build (so far, i keep finding more):
  • aef 57 AT gun
  • aef 60mm mortar
  • aef 80mm mortar
  • british 6pdr at gun
5 Jan 2017, 20:28 PM

I cloned the entity of the aef 57mm at gun.

When I'm back at my computer with coh2 this weekend I'll see what happens with the ukf at gun and the aef mortar variants.

I would also make sure that your mods are all located in the my games/company of heroes 2 directory in my documents.

CoH2 and many games for that matter really don't like it when things aren't in their default folder.
6 Jan 2017, 01:43 AM

Gah I did. Fresh installed too. It's weird that it's ONLY a few things.
6 Jan 2017, 05:02 AM

Maybe flex or java updates? Which version of each is everyone on?
9 Jan 2017, 06:47 AM

Reluctant bumping cuz I can't even start over modding even if I wanted to.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★